Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski lessons worthwhile

Options
  • 28-12-2006 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hey all,

am headed off skiing for the first time next month and am petrified to be honest!

A few people have mentioned Kilternan (dry slopes) as a good introduction before the trip but others say that it's as well to wait until you get to real snow, and apparently a few people have sustained (minor) injuries there. Any thoughts?

Thanks. Hope that everybody is enjoying Christmas.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

I found it helpfull

Getting a few hours in on the dry slope means you spend less time learning the basics when you get to go on snow. True it is easier to injure yourself on the dry slope but that fact just makes you more determined not to fall, myself I did about 30+ hours on the dry slope and never got injured, though my brother broke his finger.. out of about 20+ of us that used to go that was really the only injury. Dont be too intimidated by the dry slope, the starter slope is practically flat though you should be off that after the first hour. They dont expect you to come down off the top of the slopes :)

Snow is a lot easier to ski on than dry slope so when you get onto real snow you should find yourself well at home after some lessons in kilternan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

I would defiantly get lessons before the holiday if I had no experience at all skiing. As caff says, you'll spend a lot less time learning the basics - and you don't need to be on snow to learn the basics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Wisheress

Thanks guys!! Probably shouldn't have googled "dry slopes" + "injuries" before thinking about this option ("you have one billion search results!!"), I will take your advice.

Cheers.

W

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I missed my first ski holiday because I injured myself pretty badly (requiring surgery) in Kilternan 3 days before my holiday.

I'd had plenty of lessons with only minor bruising up to that point and it was most definitely NOT the fault of the ski club. Yes, there's a chance of injury; but there is also a chance of injury on your ski holiday.

In summary, despite my injury I'd have to agree with the other posters who recommended at least *some* lessons before you go. Otherwise you spend the first few days of your holiday learning how to put on your skis and other basics when you could be skiing (which is what you've paid for).

Regards,

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

the biggest thing you will learn while in kilternan that will really speed up your skiing holiday enjoyment will be how to use the lifts

It really is not as easy as straightforward as it sounds and while skiing you will notice the lifts stopping now and again with people having trouble using them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Wisheress

Update:

glad I didn't go to Kilternanan in the end. Easy to pick up how to put on skis etc whilst over there and I'm just the type who would have got injured in Kilternanan within minutes and then would not have been able to go 'real' skiing!

Having said that can see how getting a hang of the lifts in Kilternan migth be useful for anyone who's a bit anxious.

Have been skiing in Vancouver since then too; love it. Still get scared sometimes though.

Gluck to all other newbies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

Next time try snowboardin
    - there's no goin back ;)

(Comfortable boots too)

JohnBoy

PS - On a serious note, I know of 1 fatality at Kilternan
    In my opinion the place is lethal
    Stick to REAL snow....if ya can still find some in Europe :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

JahEerie wrote:
    Next time try snowboardin
    - there's no goin back ;)

Its the only place to start - went to Andorra 2 years ago, for a week and loved it. So much so, that i bought a board, boots and bindings, months before heading to Italy and Austria earlier this year!
    Snowboarding is class - though ppl says its a lil harder to pick up!!
    When i was in Austria met a few ppl i knew who were skiers (very good skiers who had been skiing for many seasons) and i converted them - they are never skiing again!! Imagine all that time they wasted - now they are trying to get as good as me :p ..... i picked it up really quickly, probably cos im fearless :rolleyes:

Advertisement