Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What did you buy in the sales?

• 28-12-2006 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Combed Grafton Street and Henry Street and found nothing I liked. Queues in River Island were absoloutely ridiculous by ten o' clock. a_wear's sale stock is apalling, as is Topshop and Miss Selfridge. Didn't even bother with Brown Thomas as I never find any clothes I like that are reduced. They do, however, have good reductions on shoes and bags but with nearly 50 of each, I don't think I'll be buying any more.

Bought a 70s style black cotton kimono dress with bell sleeves in Oasis for €50 (not reduced), black suede platform stilettoes with ankle strap in Buffalo for €130 (not reduced) and Bridget Jones knickers in M&S reduced from €33 to to €13.

Conclusion: Winter sale shopping 2006/2007 = very disappointing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Have to agree. Skipped yesterday and all I saw today was the equivalent of the worst of TkMaxx. If you like black or white or large vertical stripes or stripes of any type you were laughing. Just got one shirt in the end, striped :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I had a good trawl through BT before the sale, so that I could pick out things that I wanted to buy, but there was a shockingly poor shoe and bag selection. So I just avoided it all together.

I did head to Next yesterday as I needed some new workwear, and I ended getting a nice skirt suit for €58, a skirt to match a suit that I already have and a new shirt. Those and some others all came to €128. Not too bad.

I did buy two pairs of Irregular Choice shoes from eBay for €50 approx in total. That's a much better way to buy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I bought one top for €8 in Pull & Bear. My bf on the other hand bought LOADS. In every shop I was the one holding all he bags while he tried on stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I bought a short black denim skirt in M&S, half price
    A black top with 3/4 lenth lace sleeves in M&S, half price
    Bra and knickers in M&S, half price
    Hair Straightener that works in America as well as Ireland, 1/3 off
    Also got a book and some magazines for my holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Nothing here either, didn't even bother looking. A few of my mates were getting away with murder in House of Fraser though, bringing stuff up to the counter that wasn't reduced and telling the lad there was 40% off, which he happily gave. :rolleyes:

The missus bought a few tops I think, but she didn't seem overly impressed either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Haven't even bothered going in for a look tbh. I'm not a huge fan of the sales in general, far too many people crammed into the one store, huge queues for the changing rooms and tills...no thanks.

Might head in and have a look around when its quietened down a bit. I know I'll miss a lot of the "bargains", but I generally only bother going into BT/BT2/Arnotts for a look, and I can get almost sale prices in BT/BT2 all year round so not too phased if I miss some of the "bargains".

Wouldn't mind getting a new pair of shoes and some casual shoes too though, so may force myself into the city centre one of these mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ulc84

Here is what I bought: In brown thomas, Prada trainers, Paul Smith belt and Armani Jeans polo shirt. In BT2: nudie jeans. In Harvery Nichols: Stone Island Trousers. In Lacoste: Shirt and Jeans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

ulc84 wrote:
    Here is what I bought: In brown thomas, Prada trainers, Paul Smith belt and Armani Jeans polo shirt. In BT2: nudie jeans. In Harvery Nichols: Stone Island Trousers. In Lacoste: Shirt and Jeans.
    Any nice stone island jackets in Harvey Nicks - good reductions

This jacket in particular: http://www.stoneisland.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=45154L18&cid=STONEISLANDOUTERWEAR&language=en-GB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

I went into the sales yesterday, didn't see much but today I got a few things. Got a black tank top for work half price at 7 euro, then got a really nice top in Karen Millen reduced from 130 to 36!
    will have another look tomorrow, haven't been too impressed by the sales- the Topshop one wasn't great, Oasis was okay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

I bought a brown cord jacket and black lace top from Next and some hoodies from Patagonia. Can't believe how bad the sales are this year either.

empirix wrote:
    Any nice stone island jackets in Harvey Nicks - good reductions

This jacket in particular: http://www.stoneisland.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=45154L18&cid=STONEISLANDOUTERWEAR&language=en-GB
    There were a few jackets with decent reductions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

sales?!?!?!what sales???

All I saw was the stock that no-one bought throughout the year put back onto the racks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 irishstyle

ulc84 wrote:

I couldn't find any nice shoes in BTs in my size. I was looking out for prada trainers but very little on sale. I think the service in BTs in absolutely appalling. You are paying big money for expensive clothes and the kids working there don't have a clue, in my opinion. There is certainly nothing in the way of customer service there during sales, at least. We were in Arnotts and though busy, the staff were generally really helpful. Arnotts woulod do well to stock a few more upmarket brands (without getting rid of the ones already there) and give BT some competition.

irishstyle wrote:
    I couldn't find any nice shoes in BTs in my size. I was looking out for prada trainers but very little on sale. I think the service in BTs in absolutely appalling. You are paying big money for expensive clothes and the kids working there don't have a clue, in my opinion. There is certainly nothing in the way of customer service there during sales, at least. We were in Arnotts and though busy, the staff were generally really helpful. Arnotts woulod do well to stock a few more upmarket brands (without getting rid of the ones already there) and give BT some competition.
    I would disagree with you. I found the staff to be ok as it was so busy. I wasn't waiting for my shoes and there were people to help when I was looking at other clothes. There were a few pairs of Pradas with good reductions, ie mine were 111 from 200.The shoe section was extremely busy so maybe a lot of [airs were sold when you were there. I wouldn't know about arnotts I was there once and I won't be there again, didn't like the place at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I got a really nice Skirt in River island reduced from €58 to €20
    A pair of Jeans in Oasis reduced fom €86 to €43
    A pair of leather boots in Schuh reduced from €120 to €80
    A couple of hats from Oasis which were reduced quite dramatically.

The sales were pretty good for me this year :)

I'm gonna do some more sale shopping tomorrow, I wanna head back to Schuh and get another pair of boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Bought size 12 shoes in Next for E20, I take size 11 but needed something that looked shiny....I can always wear an extra pair of socks or insert newspaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

A John Rocha leather jacket for €155.00 that had been €345.00. Paid what it's worth, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I was in town today and couldn't find much in the sales. I only bought a pair of sonnetti jeans in arnotts reduced from €75 to €50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

I got a pair of "seven" jeans in BT-50% off- they're amazing! And a pair of fornarina jeans. Also got a top in french connection. most of the stuff I liked when I was shopping wasn't in the sale though- typical :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

The sales are a great time to invest in the basic infrastructure of clothing so to speak, especially men's clothes. I really do think people are mad in the head to be buying expensive items like jeans or coats or shoes during the year, or worse still just before Christmas as countless people do. The sales, both January and summer are the only times to buy these things.

Jeans especially are always reliably reduced, especially in Arnotts - it's just stupid slurging out at any other time of the year for items like these that last forever. The sales, however limiting they can be, are the time to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Deflector wrote:
    The sales are a great time to invest in the basic infrastructure of clothing so to speak, especially men's clothes. I really do think people are mad in the head to be buying expensive items like jeans or coats or shoes during the year, or worse still just before Christmas as countless people do. The sales, both January and summer are the only times to buy these things.

Jeans especially are always reliably reduced, especially in Arnotts - it's just stupid slurging out at any other time of the year for items like these that last forever. The sales, however limiting they can be, are the time to buy.

Agreed. I used to buy clothes twice a year in August and January. Didn't bother this month as I am going away twice; once in January and once in February, and I think I can get some decent bargains while away, so will take the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I'm off to New York tomorrow. I'm sure the sales over there will be better, so looking forward to that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

In BT: A Quin & Donnelly cardigan/shrug yoke, Tommy Hilfiger jeans (don't like his stuff normally but these are cool!), in Mango: a wool tank top and a pencil skirt, in Pull and Bear: black pumps. That's all for today anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I love the Stuff in BT2s but even with 50% I can't afford anything I like :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭CorsetRibbons

Unfortunately, I was one of those suckers who got caught up in the sales. I couldn't help myself. I got 2 dressy tops, 2 jumpers, a jacket, a pair of jeans and 2 bags for €120. Complete impulse shopping.
    Next year, I won't be here for the sales but I'll be in Boston for their sales. Sweet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Suit jacket in BT but was disappointed on the whole.

At least as far as the main suspects are concerned, I'm starting to think that the sales of recent years are overated. All the stuff you like never seems to be reduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

i did pretty well actually. got a firetrap top reduced from £45 to £22.50, a miss sixty vest £30 to £15, and a long sleeve red t-shirt from mexx which was also half price at £7.95.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ninabissett

A bit late to post this now but thought I'd share what I got from the post Christmas sales...

1. Massive Black Dior Sunnies 60%off original price
    2. Black Dsquared trenchcoat 70% off original price
    3. Gold Miroir Speedy 30 from LV Full Price -only one in stock...:) :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement