Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Can Sky SD be upscaled ?

• 28-12-2006 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hehe just after nabbing one of those lovely 32" Technosonic HD lcd tv going cheap in Tesco's and have only now just bitten the HD bug ( thanks to Jarvis btw :D )

Anyway thinking of getting the Phillips DVP5960 HDMI divx/usb player from Argos to complement this set to make full use of the upscaling capabilities from the player itself.

My question is , if standard Sky is fed through this and in turn the player connected to the lcd screen via HDMI does the sky picture actually get upscaled as well when viewed ?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,368 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

i think you can get devices that do it but they cost alot, don't think your standard upscaling dvd player will do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

chopster wrote:
    Hehe just after nabbing one of those lovely 32" Technosonic HD lcd tv going cheap in Tesco's and have only now just bitten the HD bug ( thanks to Jarvis btw :D )

Anyway thinking of getting the Phillips DVP5960 HDMI divx/usb player from Argos to complement this set to make full use of the upscaling capabilities from the player itself.

My question is , if standard Sky is fed through this and in turn the player connected to the lcd screen via HDMI does the sky picture actually get upscaled as well when viewed ?

:confused:

I'm not sure you can connect your Sky box through your DVD player like that.

Normally that job would be reserved for a good home cinema receiver like this...

http://www.sony.ie/view/ShowProduct.action?product=STR-DG700&site=odw_en_IE&pageType=Overview&category=HCS+Home+Cinema+Receiver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

chopster wrote:

No.

Your TV is upscaling the Sky picture already.

Just because (hypothetically) you use a different wire to connect the sky box to the TV doesn't mean you suddenly magically get Sky HD for free :rolleyes:

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

nereid wrote:
    No.

Your TV is upscaling the Sky picture already

L.

I understand the TV upscales the Sky picture so what is the point of an upscaling dvd player then as i assume the TV already upscales the video anyway ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

chopster wrote:
    so what is the point of an upscaling dvd player then as i assume the TV already upscales the video anyway ?

Good Question - What is the point of an upscaling DVD player???

The cynic in me says none - that it is manufacturers cashing in on the "HD" bandwagon by selling something that outputs 720p/1080i to match your new HD LCD/Plasma.

But realistically the only time you would "need" a upscaler is if the scaler in your TV is worse than the new scaler you are buying.

The problem with scalers is that they have to stretch 576 lines into 720 lines and that is not an "even" multiplication. i.e. there are stretching problems.

This means that on some scenes the scaler may have difficulty processing the large quantities of information which may result in jitter on the screen. One side effect of this is that the audio is not delayed so you can end up with a Lip Sync delay (you hear someone talk before their lips move on screen).

Realistically, most current TV's are quite adept at scaling PAL (576) to native (768) and have very little difficulty with the Lip Sync problem.

Of course, using HDMI to transport signals to the TV can also free up component or RGB Scart sockets for other devices.

Hope that helps.
    L.

• Advertisement
Advertisement