Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing bathroom fan

Options
  • 28-12-2006 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi

This holiday season I decided to install a fan heater and an extracter fan into the bathroom. I read everything I could and finally decided to use the light rose itself to wire the extracter fan, that way when the light comes on the fan will too.

All set with my two tool boxes I screwed the light fitting from the ceiling, expecting to find Live/Neutral/Earth * 2. Not only was there no earth, there was two neutral wires and one live. I checked another bathroom ini the house and it's just the same. Does anyone know what's going on.
    I've put the project on hold for the moment.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Sounds like the neutrals are being 'daisy chained' in series from light to light. Nothing wrong with that to the best of my knowledge --- it saves putting in a lot of junction boxes.

Take the live off the switch or light fitting and run the neutral from the fan to a neutral junction box on the same lighting circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Two neutrals are normal. They are looped from light to light.
    Older wiring had no earths at lights.
    Most modern bathroom fans are double insulated which means they don't need an earth.
    The double insulation symbol is like THIS.

Simply run the Live and neutral from the light fitting to the fan

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

As Johnnyrotten suggests just include the fan in the same neutural loop and it should work fine. However why are you not putting the fan on a separate switch, will you always have the light and the fan on at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭too_sleepy

Thanks for th advice. Whn I didn't s an earth I thought thre was a major problem.

MartinCorcoran, yes th light will always be on when the bathroom is used, maybe you won't always want the fan but as the motor is up in the attic and mounted on a rubber strap on a joist it's very quite.
    Thanks

Advertisement