Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelseas Sollution to Leaky Defence???

• 28-12-2006 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭

Pearce plays down Richards report
    Havent seen that much off him but have heard good things...God knows we need a defender

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

He's one for the future rather than an immediate solution I'd say. At the moment, I'd rate him similarly to Ferreira or Geremi tbh. Sure, he'll get better, but I wouldn't rate him as the solution this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Doubt he's the solution, and don't think selling Wright Phillips is the solution to anything either. Bad business by Chelsea IMO, and I hope it's just idle speculation. Carvalho and Bouhlarouz can do better, and Geremi and Ferreira are OK, if Bouhlarouz is clearly the problem area but I think he can improve, although obviously I don't rate him a long-term option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Hes a right back isnt he? Man City still in debt so if they want him they get him. Whoever they get has to be able to play in CL and like scrubbing boots when Terry is fit.

Oh how Gallas must be pissing himself.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Oh how Gallas must be pissing himself.

Why would Gallas be pissing himself? He left because he wanted to leave, his form has been on-and-off (when fit) since he signed for Arsenal, and his new team have a fight on their hands to even finish in the Champions League places. Obviously it now looks like awful dealing by Chelsea to have lost Gallas AND Huth, and signed Bouhlarouz as a replacement. The problem is in the replacements though, not the losses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Every player has a price and Chelsea have money. However it would potentially be a bad move for Richards, he should look at the SWP situation as a case in point.

He'd be giving up regular 1st team top level football to be a Chelski fringe player just to get his mits on a medal or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i think Richards would b a regular in the chelsea team.

i think Richards would b a regular in the chelsea team.

Good point actually. Wright-Phillips rivals were Duff, Robben, and Joe Cole. All the right side of 30. Richards' rivals would be Ferreira and Geremi. Neither the right side of 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Not a full strength Chelsea team, especially when they buy a world class right back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bateman wrote:
    Why would Gallas be pissing himself? He left because he wanted to leave, his form has been on-and-off (when fit) since he signed for Arsenal, and his new team have a fight on their hands to even finish in the Champions League places. Obviously it now looks like awful dealing by Chelsea to have lost Gallas AND Huth, and signed Bouhlarouz as a replacement. The problem is in the replacements though, not the losses.

He hardly left with a well done and a handshake, he is a centre back and they badly need one.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

Bateman wrote:
    Richards' rivals would be Ferreira and Geremi. Neither the right side of 30.

27 and 28 no?

• Advertisement

27 and 28 no?

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

well according to the link in my first post hes rated £18M..an i dont rate Ferreira highly..seems a bit dodgy to me...but theres better out there...and i suppose also if this new "Home Grown" player rule come in its a extra England player....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Oh no not another SWP situation with an over inflated price-tag chained around an even younger player's head!

Richards may be a prospect but a prospect is all he is at this stage, he looks ok but i haven't seen anything what i'd call close to world class about him at the moment. I think Chelsea would be a bad move for him considering he is unproven, the competition in that team is immense and the inevitable high price tag could be a huge burden but when money talks......

If he does join Chelsea all i hope is that they look after him and give him a proper opportunity unlike SWP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

18 million is a joke

and why just 18million? why not just round it up to 20? who comes up with these figures or do they just pull them out of their ass, stick it on the table and tell kenyon "see this stupid number here?, yes...well this is what we want" - and out comes the cheque book...

no wonder none of big clubs like buying english, appart from chelsea, the price tags are shocking, which are not helped by chelsea paying them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

£18m??!?!!? B*llocks!

What exactly has he achieved? Has it come to the point where half a season playing well along with an England cameo means a player is all of a sudden worth millions? :rolleyes:

I've nothing against a proven player, or one with bags & bags of potential, signing for whatever fee the club can get for him but this is ridiculous.

If this does go thru, I think it would be a huge mistake by Mourinho and Richards himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

you can't replace John Terry. Simple as that.

However cech needs decent cover. Hilario is a poor keeper imo, lacks authority.

Why spend 18m on a player when he'll be out of the side in a few weeks once Terry gets back :confused: basically paying £18m for a few games :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Richards is a right back smemon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Cuddicini is still at the club! He is injured aswell. Cech has probably the best cover from a GK in the world, they just got screwed missing their best two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Have heard Chelsea are in for Sol Campbell. Pompey knocked backed their approach though.

Playboy wrote:
    Have heard Chelsea are in for Sol Campbell. Pompey knocked backed their approach though.

There's a joke there somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Don't think so. He's played there for Man City but is more natural as a CB or DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

well as has been said he's not an out and out right back.

however it's a panic solution to Terry's absense. If Terry was there along with Cech, there would be no problems. Those two make everyone else look good.

atm, they are perhaps being found out and aren't as solid as we all thought they were. Terry is probably the best defender in the world, when he plays for chelsea ;) . (along side cannavaro).

Cech is also a good solid keeper. Those two hold things together at the back. With both of them missing, i don't think the rest of the defence is playing any different, it's just that the replacements aren't as good.

spending 18m on an unproven player for a short term solution (less than a month perhaps) would be absolutely insane, even if you do have a blank chequebook.

Advertisement