Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying Abroad - Where?

Options
  • 28-12-2006 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

I've been saving for many months and plan to buy a used car abroad this Summer. Originally I'd planned to buy a BMW 316 or 318 from the North, having around 8-10 grand to spare, assuming I'll be able to get at least two for my current car ('97 Toyota Corolla Saloon, silver, impeccable condition).

Anyway.. From what I hear there are many places in the EU which are a lot cheaper to buy used cars - specifically interested in BMWs - from. I was wondering where exactly are the best places?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The UK and ROI are the only two RHD markets in the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Right, not necessarily a big issue

Where is cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

md99 wrote:

Where is cheap?
    Germany/Switzerland/Spain....you don't want to be going further than that.
    Problem with buying on the continent during the summer months is that you will pay top dollar to get the car on the ferry home. Best to buy your car abroad in low season

I priced a new 330d coupe with leather/6cd/metallic here on the BMW IE website and it was €68k...same car on the swiss site was €42k and was cheaper again in Germany

any more input?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I doubt that you are going to save much ...

Don't forget, you have to pay VRT on your import, plus all the cost of going there (wherever) and bringing the car back.

Onother thing ...even though new or nearly new cars are a lot cheaper on the continent (due to lack of VRT), slightly older ones (and at 8-10k a BMW is going to be a good few years old) seem to hold their value much better than over here. I blame the Irish reg system for that.

• Advertisement

md99 wrote:

Where is cheap?
    It will be when you try to sell it, i'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Anan1 wrote:
    The UK and ROI are the only two RHD markets in the EU.

Don't forget Malta and Cyprus.

Max_Damage wrote:
    Don't forget Malta and Cyprus.
    I stand corrected.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

md99 wrote:
    Where is cheap?

As previously stated...

(a.) by the time you pay VRT, travel costs etc. you're not going to save a fortune.
    (b.) Inconvienience of LHD - even if it doesn't bother you it will be a huge factor when you go to sell it on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

My old man buys a huge amount of stock from Cyprus, mostly Kia private & commerical jeeps. They're all very high spec that aren't available in Ireland so high in demand over here. He buys maybe 20 at a time and saves alot of yoyos even with all related expenses for shipping them over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

You could consider a "Stolen recovered" or lightly damaged car from the UK, this site has a good selection of 3 series Beemers, you really need to check the site daily and be prepared to act quickly, as the best cars/value are never in stock for more than a couple of days.

invest4deepvalue.com

My old man buys a huge amount of stock from Cyprus, mostly Kia private & commerical jeeps. They're all very high spec that aren't available in Ireland so high in demand over here. He buys maybe 20 at a time and saves alot of yoyos even with all related expenses for shipping them over.

Are those new or secondhand that he buys IPB?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

All new.

Do-more wrote:
    You could consider a "Stolen recovered" or lightly damaged car from the UK, this site has a good selection of 3 series Beemers, you really need to check the site daily and be prepared to act quickly, as the best cars/value are never in stock for more than a couple of days.

Class... just what I was looking for!

Do-more wrote:

Never done anything like this before, is it pretty much hit & miss? The cars mostly look great, best if I went to inspect with my friend who's a mechanic maybe?

And what exactly is meant by 'salvage cars'? Are they written off or road-worthy?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

would the vrt be less on a crashed model

md99 wrote:
    And what exactly is meant by 'salvage cars'? Are they written off or road-worthy?

The term "salvage" covers a wide spectrum, normally anything that an insurance company has had to pay-out on.

In the UK the different types are catagorised as follows:

Category A: SCRAP
    Where a vehicle has been destroyed by fire or so badly damaged, destroyed or deformed that it has no commercial salvageable parts, or the vehicle has been involved in a flood over seat level. The vehicle must be decontaminated and then the bodyshell crushed.

Category B: BREAKER
    Where a vehicle has sustained serious damage, is beyond economical repair and cannot be safely repaired. The vehicle should not be repaired but sold for parts only to authorised breakers / dismantlers. These vehicles can only be purchased by authorised breakers / dismantlers

Category C: REPAIRER
    A vehicle where the repairs are assessed by the inspecting engineer as, exceeding the pre-accident market value. These vehicles are repairable and can be purchased by anyone

Category D: REPAIRER
    Where the cost of repairs do not exceed the value of the vehicle but either the insurer or the insured does not want to repair the vehicle. These vehicles are repairable and can be purchased by anyone

STOLEN RECOVERED: MINIMAL DAMAGE
    Where the insurer has settled the claim with the policyholder and then the stolen vehicle is found and the vehicle has no damage or very little damage in respect of the value of the vehicle. These vehicles can be purchased by anyone.

All the above are recorded on a central database and and a "recorded" car will normally have a lower value even if it has been expertly repaired.

You can also come across "Unrecorded" salvage, normally in the case of a car that was insured "third party only" and on which there has been no insurance claim.
    TCP/IP wrote:
    would the vrt be less on a crashed model?

VRT rates assume that the car is in good condition, if it is not then you can appeal the rate to the Revenue, however they will probably argue that you are going to repair the vehicle back to good condition and are unlikely to discount the rate.

I am not personally aware of anyone getting lower VRT on a crashed car, does anyone else on here know of it happening?

Hope the above helps...

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote:
    The term "salvage" covers a wide spectrum, normally anything that an insurance company has had to pay-out on.

In the UK the different types are catagorised as follows:

Category A: SCRAP
    Where a vehicle has been destroyed by fire or so badly damaged, destroyed or deformed that it has no commercial salvageable parts, or the vehicle has been involved in a flood over seat level. The vehicle must be decontaminated and then the bodyshell crushed.

Category B: BREAKER
    Where a vehicle has sustained serious damage, is beyond economical repair and cannot be safely repaired. The vehicle should not be repaired but sold for parts only to authorised breakers / dismantlers. These vehicles can only be purchased by authorised breakers / dismantlers

Category C: REPAIRER
    A vehicle where the repairs are assessed by the inspecting engineer as, exceeding the pre-accident market value. These vehicles are repairable and can be purchased by anyone

Category D: REPAIRER
    Where the cost of repairs do not exceed the value of the vehicle but either the insurer or the insured does not want to repair the vehicle. These vehicles are repairable and can be purchased by anyone

STOLEN RECOVERED: MINIMAL DAMAGE
    Where the insurer has settled the claim with the policyholder and then the stolen vehicle is found and the vehicle has no damage or very little damage in respect of the value of the vehicle. These vehicles can be purchased by anyone.

All the above are recorded on a central database and and a "recorded" car will normally have a lower value even if it has been expertly repaired.

You can also come across "Unrecorded" salvage, normally in the case of a car that was insured "third party only" and on which there has been no insurance claim.

VRT rates assume that the car is in good condition, if it is not then you can appeal the rate to the Revenue, however they will probably argue that you are going to repair the vehicle back to good condition and are unlikely to discount the rate.

I am not personally aware of anyone getting lower VRT on a crashed car, does anyone else on here know of it happening?

Hope the above helps...

I see, but how do we know which category each of the cars on the site belong in?

Advertisement