Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swedish Language Course?

Options
  • 28-12-2006 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi I really want to learn swedish . Cant find any courses in Dublin. Anyone help me? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Pantsless

thanks biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ms X

I attended the 1st course and didn't get alot from this course. I've met a few others who attended the first course at different times than me and the feedback had been pretty much the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

was the teacher a native Swedish speaker? why was it not so good in your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Any good courses in Sweden itself?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sfi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭cathald

Try asking on www.dublinboards.com , they know most things going on in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I saw something on the notice board in the Swedish Embassy about language courses last week, you could check that out.

Another good source of info about Swedish language courses is www.thelocal.se

As suggested you could check out "Swedish For Invaders"

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ms X

Yes she was a native speaker. Very nice with good intentions. I think I was the only person from the 15 who attended all lessons. The pace was very slow and lacked organisation so left not knowing any more than the basics I went in with. There was alot of chit chat during the class time and the time could have been made more productive. I've met about 3 others who attend the course at different times and all didnt get alot from the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

The Sandford Language course is an evening course, with a blend of people with varying backgrounds and abilities. The course is then what you make of it. I found it an immense help. When I moved to Sweden, I already could understand the basics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 aguafiestas

Hey,
    My experience with The Sandford Language institute was negative. I tried two langauges there and in both cases it was an immense waste of time.
    I ended up getting a private teacher. Unfortunately, it is not easy to find good courses of languages other than French, German or Spanish in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Just curious to find out why you weren't happy with the Swedish course you took?? I'm probably gonna start teaching Swedish so I'd be interested to hear what people actually want to learn.:)

Sorry I know this thread is old but a few of you are hopefully still on this board....

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

I did the course recently and found that if you were willing to learn you could pick up alot but there is a lot of chatting that goes on, I found this quite interesting actually as the book you learn from is quite outdated and so you pick up alot of information on modern Swedish life from the tutor and fellow classmates.

The Tutor was very well intentioned and put us at ease which again I think is very important.

The book used Svenska utifrån - Swedish from the outside seems to be a bit advanced for beginners and introduces you to numbers, days months etc as you go along rather than teaching you the basics from the start so I wasn't a fan of that.

I will say that the admin side of things in Sandford Language Institute seems to be terrible. It took me over a month to get the dictionary that accompanied the book, my tutor rang the Institute several times but in the end I had to ring and eventually got it. They also mixed up the end date of the course and tried to knock a class off again it took a few calls to rectify the issue.

On the subject of teaching Swedish for beginners I would suggest giving them the basics straight off, for example: Numbers, Colours, Days of the week, months etc., then building it into every day conversations with question & response scenarios. I also think Chatting isn't a bad thing if it's related to the subject matter and gives an insight into Swedish culture.

Again I know this is an old thread but I hope this helps someone looking to learn Swedish :).

What level did you do?? I thought one class there recently(level one), really enjoyed it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

I think, if it was the one with only 3 students and I think you did a great job. Good luck with the teaching :)

The Duk wrote: »
    I think, if it was the one with only 3 students and I think you did a great job. Good luck with the teaching :)

Haha! Thanks think you are being nice though.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jemasonn

Hi, i know this is a old message but are you giving Swedish lessons by any chance? i want to move to Sweden in a years time, so need to start soon, if your not do you know of anyone who is or is willing to give lessons?
    Please PM.
    Best regards james jackson

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement