Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you know?

Options
  • 28-12-2006 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

If your graphis card is faulty?

I've had a million problems with my PC. I've changted everything in it apart from the CPU, heatsink and GFX card.

My system is locking up randomly, but mainly a couple of mins into a DVD, when i load up World Of Warcraft (when the title dcreen comes up it's frozen, but theres still music for about 20 seconds before the music freezes and repeats the last sound it made over and over).

Then when i was installing windows it randonly froze.
    When i tried to update the Forceware drivers it says theres no compatible hardware onboard, yet i can install the forceware drivers off my install disk.

It's an XFX Extreme 7800GT 256MB (the one overcloked 2475/1050 as default.

I've switched out the ram, changed cables, changed HDD's.

This is also causing corruptions in my boot files meaning i have to keep formatting etc

Any tips??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,198 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

have you tried pushing the cpu to 100% for a few minutes to rule out that it's not the cpu over heating , using something like super pi

might be worth switching out the graphics card with another one or turning off all hardware acceleration in the display settings to see if you can get things more stable, at least that would indicate if its the graphics card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah this deffo sounds like a over heating problem, Try running the pc with the side of the case off, and open a window.

If the pc now works you will have to try a ferw things.

1. reseat the cpu hsf. Make sure you clean the compound from the cpu and the hsf. And re apply a small bit of compound into the middle of the cpu. A rice grain size, dead in the middle. Do not spread it out. Just let the gravity of the hs handle it.

2. Do some cable tidying. Cable tie loose cable at the top of the pc. Make sure your fans have direct air flow.

3. Add some more powerfull fans to replace your old ones.

4. Make sure you dont have dust covering anything. Use compressed air to blow the stuf out.

This should sort it out for you. Hope ithelps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭oceansize

ok i've totally removed everything. the compound on the cpu is dry now, but it's a athlon 64 so they run at low temps anyway, i think you can even run them with no HSF for a while no?

It says it's running at 21c??

And why wouldn't i be able to install new drivers for my GFX card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

there is no reason why you should be able too. Since its a nvidia card just install them over the old ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

oceansize wrote:
    but it's a athlon 64 so they run at low temps anyway, i think you can even run them with no HSF for a while no?
    No :eek:
    Well possibly for a few seconds before it burns...but burn it will. I'd advise you not to try to find out how long it would last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,198 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

hopeful wrote:
    No :eek:
    Well possibly for a few seconds before it burns...but burn it will. I'd advise you not to try to find out how long it would last.

ah but we could make bets how long it would last :D

whoever told you amd run cold is wrong, probably colder than p4 but you need a heatsink. When you say the compound is dry, it would probably be wise to clean any old thermal compound from the heatsink and cpu completely and reapply some new stuff when you're reseating the heatsink

Advertisement