Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Mason Vs Phil Taylor

Options
  • 28-12-2006 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

What was it exactly that Chris Mason [purportedly] said about Phil Taylor prior to their encounter tonight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

All you need to know is that Chris Mason is a cnut.

What he got put in prison for tells you what sort of person he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Yeh, I've been watching darts for a few years now and knew about Mason's past but I was just curious what exactly he said prior to their match tonight. I actually subsequently found it on The Sun's website. It just sounds like jealousy on Mason's part to be honest. Plus, he's a goon anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

what did he say?

Taylor pretty much destroyed him anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

found it after a bit of searching
    he comes across as being an envious loser
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,3-2006600336,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Yeh, here's the article from before the match:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,3-2006600150,00.html

Imagine the gratification for Taylor to then beat this clown (Mason) 4-0

...;) Sweet
    ... ...:cool: cool

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Mason is well known to be a bit of an arsehole and its total jealousy on his part for what Taylor has achieved in the game. What Taylor says is right, if Mason put in the work and has the dedication that Taylor does then Mason could be where Taylor is.

Mason was totally out of line tonight. You could see how annoyed Taylor was and I have never seen him like that before. Expect Mason to be punished with at least a fine and deservedly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

these lads should know better than to rise the power ,look what he did to manly last year after manly bet lewis toylor whitewashed him 7-0
    i said to my brother this evening it wouldnt surprise me if taylor bet mason 4-0 i think mason knew he was going to be bet so he tried to take the pressure off himselfbut he still shouldnt have said that about taylor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

He should be banished back to the PDO bbc darts for his sins!.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

they looked a lot friendlier here:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6405923996953481804&q=taylor
    Sorry if this has been posted before but you can never get sick of this!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah it was something special alright, and the first ever live televised 9 dart finish. I cant see Mason and Taylor being that friendly again!
    POWER RAGES AFTER MASON TAUNT
    Friday 29th December 2006

Phil Taylor has threatened to walk out of the sport after an unsavoury victory over Chris Mason in the Ladbrokes.com World Championship.
    ‘The Power’ blew away his opponent in four sets to move into the tournament’s quarter-finals.

The match had taken on an extra edge after reports in the press suggesting ‘Mace The Ace’ had accused the 13-time world champion of arrogance.

There was little eye contact until the end of the match, but the pair argued at the end when leaving the stage, and Taylor raged against his opponent soon after.

“It’s nasty and it’s not nice. During the match he was arguing with the crowd it’s not nice,” Taylor told Sky Sports 1.

“At the end he effed and blinded at me when he shook my hand. I don’t like it, there’s no need for it.

“I can walk away. I’m not going to listen to filth when I’m trying my hardest. I put a lot of work into this I put eighteen years of my life into this to be talked to like a piece of dirt.”

Taylor had a piece of advice for Mason, who but for his emotions, is one of the best players not to win a major title.

“I’ve had it for years off the players, they don’t know what they’re doing wrong and they’re blaming me for their mistakes,” he added.

“I’m just good at what I do. I’m just a working-class man who has done well for himself if I want to buy myself a new car I’ll buy one. If he wants a new car he’s got to get off his backside and earn one.”

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1782-1245415,00.html

• Advertisement

Was Paul Lims 9 darter not televised in 1990?

Gillie wrote:
    Was Paul Lims 9 darter not televised in 1990?

It was recorded but it wasnt shown live.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I've just seen the replay of last night there on SS1 and read the bits here, something tells me that this seems more like getting hype and publicity on the PDC's part, rather than actually controversy?

It looked a bit WWE to me.

I doubt it. Mason is well known for doing stuff like he did last night. He is a bit of a bad boy and has been fined etc by the PDC before for his antics. I guess we will just have to wait and see if Mason gets fined for this but I suspect that he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

I've never seen Taylor so angry or riled up like he was in that interview with Dave Clark. I'd love to know what Mason actually said to get him going. Probably something like: "The burger bars about to close Phil". ;)
    Mason was a twat to say what he did in the papers cause if ya piss him off before ya play him he'll destroy ya like he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Lookfor anyone who doesn't know Chris, I'll tell you Chris Mason is a sound bloke and lived in Kilkenny for most of this year he even played in a pub's dart league in Tipperary.

I think there must of been something else to happen behind the scenes before this match as well as the newspapers yesterday morning. If not, then i think Phil is overeacting. so Mason swore at him..so what? it shoudnt bother him that much.Phil has been practicing for dart nights like this for 17 years, i cant understand why hes so upset and want to chuck the game in, over something so trivial. it seems a bit strange to me!

Did you see the prick in the audience wearing the prison outfit and the banner, I'd swear at him too.

So Taylor has never sworn at a player before then (Painter? )
    Taylor has never sworn at the crowd before then (every tournament)
    Taylor is two faced and chucked his toys out of the pram tonight

Kazooie wrote:
    Mason was a twat to say what he did in the papers cause if ya piss him off before ya play him he'll destroy ya like he did.

Taylor was NOT on form last night. If Mason had pushed him at all he could have had him.

If Taylor had played like that against McGowan it could have been Mason vs McGowan last night.

BingoBongo wrote:
    Did you see the prick in the audience wearing the prison outfit and the banner, I'd swear at him too.

So Taylor has never sworn at a player before then (Painter? )
    Taylor has never sworn at the crowd before then (every tournament)
    Taylor is two faced and chucked his toys out of the pram tonight

Well the guy in the prison uniform should have been taken as tongue in cheek. If you have been to any darts tournaments then you will know that there is loads of people in the crowd dressed up and loads of signs etc slagging off both players. You take that out of darts and you hurt the sport big time. Without the unique darts crowd and atmosphere the sport would not be the same. Mason should ignore the crowd and get on with the game, just like every other player should ignore the crowd and get on with it. The only time that I could think it justified to give out to the crowd is if someone shouts out as your about to throw.

Your right Taylor has had run ins with Painter and others before and he has sworn at the crowd. It still doesnt make it right what Mason did although I do accept your point that he is giving out about something that he himself has done. All the talk of Taylor quitting the game was just heat of the moment and is obviously not gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Gillie wrote:
    Taylor was NOT on form last night. If Mason had pushed him at all he could have had him.
    He may not have been in top form but his 99 average was still better than anybody else managed in the final 16. He's unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭The Rooster

When they were shaking hands at the end of the game, Taylor didnt look at him and turned away back towards the board almost as soon as their hands touched.

Mason then took a firmer grip and pulled him back and said "Don't fookin walk away from me" and then proceeded to have a good oul foul-mouthed rant.

Mason was out of order, but there's two sides to every story and I dont think it was near as bad as Taylor made out. And Taylor pretending to be holier than thou and being outraged in the aftermath at Mason's language was laughable when you consider Taylor cursed himself live on TV during the interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Well put Rooster.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Yes, Taylor cursed during the interview, but bo**ix is a far cry from what Mason was mouthing.

I'm playing darts a fair few years, and I know Mason, and I still have the common sense and respect if I'm beaten by the better player on the night.

You shake hands and get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

NeoRox wrote:
    Yes, Taylor cursed during the interview, but bo**ix is a far cry from what Mason was mouthing.

I'm playing darts a fair few years, and I know Mason, and I still have the common sense and respect if I'm beaten by the better player on the night.

That same respect should be extended if you win. Mason thought the limp and bad mannered hand shake offered was out of line.

I doubt Mason was discussing the weather, and he was well out of line. We don't know exactly what he said (it could have been personal). But if a dart player can't tolerate foul language....

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

cast_iron wrote:
    I doubt Mason was discussing the weather, and he was well out of line. We don't know exactly what he said (it could have been personal). But if a dart player can't tolerate foul language....

Well I doubt if Taylor would have reacted the way he did if it wasn't personal. Your opinion on dart players if they cant take foul language or not I dont know? I dont need or never have needed to f**k someone into a knot to beat them.

NeoRox wrote:
    And if Taylor had shaked hands properly, then there would have been no incident.

Taylor was out of order not to give a respectful handshake at the end.

But Mason was wrong to react the way he did. And Taylor was just as wrong to say "bollox" on live TV.

But really this has been blown out of all proportion. I really don't know why Taylor felt like whining like that on live TV.

Masons point of view, on the events, can't remember if you have to log in to view.

http://www.starsofdarts.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4470

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

BingoBongo wrote:
    Masons point of view, on the events, can't remember if you have to log in to view.

http://www.starsofdarts.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4470

Dead link? Any chance of posting the text?

It works for me!!, text goes on for 15 pages.

Go to http://www.starsofdarts.com and log in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

I used to really like Chris Mason and always hoped he would fulfill his potential when watching him play. But I have lost a lot of respect for him for 1st of all going to the papers and talking crap instead of saying what he had to say to Taylors face. Phil Taylor is the worlds best because he bloody worked hard for it.............but instead of people praising him for what he has done to the game of darts - you have people like Chris Mason and Kevin Painter who have won nothing to dish the dirt on him - behind his back aswell.

When watching Phil Taylor on TV before and after matches he always gives his opponent great respect.

Phil Taylor shook Chris Mason's hand - End off...............it doesn't matter if he didn't look, talk or kiss Chris Mason............he had the respect to shake his hand. Chris Mason was defo in the wrong IMO.

• Advertisement

Question and Answer session with Chris Mason on 29 December 2006

Q: Did you offer to fight him out in the car park? And what was said when he got back to the player lounge?

CM: I was at press confrence during his tv interview and he said "lets see how brave he is upstairs" and I responded by saying " lets get in the car park if he wants it". Prior to the match he was negative about the press and said dont worry about what was said!

Q: What exactly happened at the end of the match?

CM: After the match dart went in and he shook my hand I was in the process of congratulating him on another great performance and he just pulled away, at that point I was unhappy to his response, considering we had a chat before the match, but after his win he then wanted to make something of what the paper's said and just dismiss my efforts at which point I became annoyed.

Q: Have Sky given you the opportunity to air your side of the story?

CM: No

Q: If you had not spoken to the press before the game, about your feelings towards Phil....what do you think the score would have been?

CM: The same. I have nothing but respect for Phil's darting skills, all I said is what many people think but wont say.

Q: At the Bob Anderson classic a couple of years ago, Taylor walked past me just after you beat him and his comments about you were below the belt and i wont repeat them but hes no angel - far from it! I gathered from his comments he does not like you so would I be right in saying hes not a fan of yours and he dislikes you?

CM: Yes that is correct.

Q: The problem is, no one knows what you did say. We only have Taylor's version. He's accused you of swearing during the match and at the end. Can you confirm or deny this?

CM: During the 9 darts warm up a chap in the crowd made comments why Phil has new car and then made personal remarks towards me, which I responded to, this continued through the match and during the breaks I had some banter with the said chap who continued to abuse my efforts to take on the great man.

Q: Gotta say well done for getting a whole page of darts in the papers Chris. I've struggled to read the five lines everyday in the paper. It's about time someone came out and said about phil patronizing players. How many times do we here "He's a good young player" or "There all great players" why doesn't he say I won coz i'm better than him, thats why people admired Bristow coz he told it how it was!! and thats what you did nice one

CM: I wish I said that!

Q: You were swearing on stage

CM: What swearing? did you hear it ? Like Taylors "GET IN THERE YOU F****** BEAUTY"

Q: Can you clear up what Phil was complaining about you saying to the crowd Chris ? If it happened was it in the breaks cos I saw nothing on tv.

CM: I was defending myself from abuse from the crowd, havent we seen this from other players which has been applauded from others!

Q: You said: "don’t f*****g mug me off, I’m not having that" as you pulled him back after he gave you a weak handshake. Do you expect a fine from the DRA?

CM: No I dont.

Q: Are you going to issue an apology to try and get in the dra good books?

CM: No I wont, I have nothing to appologise for.

Q: Did Sky offer you the chance for you to be interviewed? What is the story about the newspaper article? Did you do an interview slagging Taylor? Did you get paid for it?

CM: After the game I was not allowed to re-enter the venue, I was not paid for anything. The stories were made up from a normal post match interview in the press room, at which I just mentioned that although I live in Stoke I had no contact with Phil due to a remark he made to a friend regarding my past and he said to someone else "I hope he doesnt think hes gonna mither me"
    But hey, the press are a law to themselves.

More questions on 30 December 2006

Q: Who made the decision to prevent you going back upstairs to the players lounge on your return from the post match press breifing?

CM: The security didnt want me upstairs because of Phil's threats during his TV interview, so to avoid any confrontation I was asked to return to my hotel, which I did.

Q: Looking back over the last couple of days now that the dust is beginning to settle, is there anything that you would have done differently?

CM: Of course I regret the situation and how it has escalated, I also regret the words I chose but I cant change what happened, I also regret putting my future at risk. I have no explanation or excuses regarding my behaviour.

Q: When you say putting your future at risk, what do you mean?

CM: Well if I get a ban or if I want to continue, I am unsure what the DRA will make of the whole situation, I will personally appologise to Phil before I publicly appologise and then I make my mind up.

Chris Mason Statement 3 January 2007

I would like to start my public apology with firstly apologising to Phil Taylor for my post match outburst. I make no excuses for my behaviour and the words I chose to use. I have personally wrote to Phil prior to my public apology.

I would like to apologise to the the PDC and the PDPA and its members for any embarassment caused by post match actions. I would also like to apologise to our sponsors Ladbrokes for any embarassement caused.

I however cannot apologise for the newspapers actions prior to our match and the constant drivel they print. I am sure those in the press room during my interviews will clarify the content of my interview.

I would also like to once and for all clarify that I was never charged with attacking anybody with any weapon or hammer. I am now seeking legal advice and will be taking action against any newspaper that has printed this liabel material prior, during and after this World Championships.

I must stress that I thought the reason for certain people being within the press room was to protect players from this happening, obviously not and I hope this is taken into consideration.

I will not apologise for my actions at a member of the audience who baraged me with abuse and personal insults, what are the security there for? I for one was horrified to see a member of the audience dressed in a prison uniform with a sign on it saying”hey mace do you remember me”! I then continued to take serious abuse prior to the match and in the advertising breaks. I will not tolerate this from members of the audience and this part of the sport needs a look at as this is far from the first time this has happened. The order that we DON'T receive now resembles a football match with chants of abuse and personal insults, as I previously stated I will not tolerate it.

I hope this can be dealt with swiftly and simply, I also hope that what ever charges are brought against Phil Taylor, that it is taken into consideration that I caused his reaction due to him dismissing my efforts in this years World Championships and in our match.

I have also declined the offer to appear in celebrity big brother as I feel to receive a considerable amount of money (Rooster edit - STG£100,000!) due to the past weeks exposure would be in bad taste, and undermine my sincere regret.

Yours sincerely

Chris Mason

Advertisement