Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bent the rim of my alloy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

This is why I got rid of alloys on the last thing I had. Personally I wouldn't leave it, would just increase the risk of a blowout.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Better off getting the alloy wheel repaired or replaced. Leaving it is not advisable. Apart from the fact that your tyre could be damaged already, the buckelled alloy could weaken the tyre wall further making a blowout more likely. It could also possibly damage the wheel bearings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Get on to the local authority in the area where it happened about it. Tell them you will be sending in an invoice for repairs/replacement.

That's what road tax is for. I know several people who have claimed for damage done by potholes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

you should be able to get ot fixed for about €50

I'd get it off straight away...friend of mine was changing his tyre recently after slamming the alloy and with the dent in the alloy, he found a hairline crack aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Happened to me before...the tyre though was gone i thought! Went to a garage and got a new tyre fit to a new alloy.. i then off handedly said is there anything can be done about the old wheel? He took a look, got a hammer, banged it out then inflated the bust tyre.. it was grand!! Tyre was fine but it lost air when the alloy bent!! He did not even charge me for that one!! So now had a spare alloy/tyre instead of a space saver :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Similar experience as Saruman. Had a slow puncture and the tyre man found it was because of a dent on the inside of an alloy. Nowhere near as bad as in those pictures though! A hammer sorted that out and after re-inflation, the tyre has been grand since. Didn't cost me a cent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Thanks lads,

goin to bring t down to advanced tyres now in a min,

wll they fix it if its worse than your cases? Or do i have to bring it to a specilist?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

aren't you guys worried about cracks in the alloy after being bent out of shape and bent back again ?

wasn't there something about annealing aluminum alloys ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

That alloy needs to be thrown out. You cant straighten an alloy like ya can with a stell wheel.

Your claim against the local council will only suceed if it can be proven that somebody previoulsy reported the hole and it was not repaired within a reasonable time period. If the hole is from general wear and tear then they are not obliged to repair your wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I didn't see the pics when I posted my reply...it looks like its beyond repair if you ask me

• Advertisement
Advertisement