Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ronin Motor Scene

Options
  • 29-12-2006 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Dont forget Ronin is on BBC1 now (a bit off-topic) it must be the best car chase scene ever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I agree Tony and the cars are "real" ones not some flashy sports cars like most car chases. Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Especially the sound from the Audi S8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

agree with eamon234 they are real cars where else would you see a Peugeot 406 chasing a bmw 525i?

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Bullitt was on last night, too!

Defo the best car chase ever. In a movie...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Yeah, got the Bullit dvd off a friend for xmas, great chase.

Any more? Ronin is great, The Bourne Identity was brilliant, havent seen vanishing point, supposed to be great.

Here is a Ferrari tearing up the streets of Paris!

http://www.axe-net.be/rdv/

(I know, its dangerous, he/she is speeding, its terrible...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

lightening wrote:
    Any more? Ronin is great, The Bourne Identity was brilliant, havent seen vanishing point, supposed to be great.

Some good chases in The Transporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

lightening wrote:

http://www.axe-net.be/rdv/

(I know, its dangerous, he/she is speeding, its terrible...)

Thats not a ferrari in that vid. Think its a nissan 240Z with a ferrari soundtrack over it. The revs are off in alot of scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Does anyone else think DeNero looks totally out of sorts behind the wheel in that car chase sceen ?
    Look at McQueen in Bullit - you can see he is driving or is at least getting the feel for it.
    DeNero looks as if he is on his couch playing a video game!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

That's because DeNiro wasn't driving. In fact, the car was a RHD car AFAIR, and DeNiro was ****ting himself - because the stunt driver was actually driving flat out from behind the camera with the real wheel, and DeNiro had to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Takes a bit from the chase IMO, pity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

McQueen did ALL the stunt driving in Bullitt, he was car nuts.

My only gripe with Ronin and all chase scenes is that the cars that get caught up in the meyhem are always old Renaults, Fiats etc. Nothing expensive.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bazz26 wrote:
    Especially the sound from the Audi S8.
    Here's one I spotted recently in my area. (I think junkyard has/had one also).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Volvoboy wrote:
    agree with eamon234 they are real cars where else would you see a Peugeot 406 chasing a bmw 525i?

-VB-

The BMW was an M5. Definately agree with it having the best car chases. Also love the sound off the old Merc when de Niro fires the bazooka going down the mountain road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

GB15 wrote:
    The BMW was an M5. Definately agree with it having the best car chases. Also love the sound off the old Merc when de Niro fires the bazooka going down the mountain road.

Mercedes 450SEL 6.9, nice car indeed. Although the CGI smoke effects when Reno reverses the car out of the space at the start of the first chase look terrible and out of place IMO.

Both chases are on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

There's a chase sequence with a Peugeout 205 in the film "Target" (Gene Hackman) - short but good. The 205's are awesome.

I (nearly) got addicted to The Professionals recently as well, though. All those cool 70's car being trashed around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The chase in Moscow in the Bourne Supremacy was pretty good.
    lightening wrote:
    havent seen vanishing point

A beautiful movie made by beautiful people. I think there was a remake that I never saw, but the original was brilliant. Some of it is a bit farsical but they really show off that car. I've been thinking of buying a Challenger T/A ever since....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

What about the French films Taxi and Taxi 2. Great chases in them although I thought the "souped up" 406 was silly and unrealistic. Would have been cooler if they had used something like a standard Citroen Xantia Activa :)

Love Ronin too - nice to see chases with "normal" cars like 5 series and XMs and seeing Fiats, Peugeots etc. getting wrecked. Hollywood films with muscle cars are great too but films set in Europe using European vehicles that we're all familar with are a novelty and easier to relate to IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭afatbollix

this.guy.is.the.stunt.driver.in.ronin.....must.see.that.filim....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORzEUnunuZY

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

GB15 wrote:
    It was an M5 but the one that ended upside down wasn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Its probably my favorite film of all time, my only gripe was the chase between the Peugeot 406 and the BMW M5....I mean come on ffs, there's no way you could even compare the two never mind the Peugeot keeping up...I know I've driven the two of them. I loved the film so much I bought an M5 and an Audi S8, in fact it was the first time I ever took any notice of the S8 and believe me it is a serious car with incredible features, I don't think I'll ever sell it.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

junkyard wrote:
    Its probably my favorite film of all time, my only gripe was the chase between the Peugeot 406 and the BMW M5....I mean come on ffs, there's no way you could even compare the two never mind the Peugeot keeping up...I know I've driven the two of them. I loved the film so much I bought an M5 and an Audi S8, in fact it was the first time I ever took any notice of the S8 and believe me it is a serious car with incredible features, I don't think I'll ever sell it.:D

While I agree that an M5 vs. a 406 is a bit mismatched, you must though remember that all of the driving was in dense traffic, so really actual driving skill would be the advantage over power.

On the other hand, the S8 vs. the XM was ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

The car crash in Fatal Deviation was real, and was filmed in Trim

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

The driver in Ronin doesn't really achieve much does he. He lets the car get away, only stops it when the others are practically on top of it. After that he does nothing except get injured and then dead. Hope they didn't pay him in advance. :D

The driver in Ronin doesn't really achieve much does he. He lets the car get away, only stops it when the others are practically on top of it. After that he does nothing except get injured and then dead. Hope they didn't pay him in advance. :D
    Ah stop now, thats a typical Irish attitude, hurler on the ditch style, why bother doing anything sur we'll only have to get up to do it. If film makers had that attitude we'd get to see nothing. The next thing we'd see is speed restrictions in car chases if our politically correct shower had anything to do with it. Films are fantasy land and anything goes or should go at least and the faster the better as far as I'm concerned. I'd agree too with European car chases being better than American ones, its far more realistic. I think the French do the best chases tbh, most of their stunt men are lunatics but in a good way. I saw Jean Ragnotti in Goodwood last year doing 360 degree spins in a Renault 5 turbo as he was driving along the track and he was probably one of the best drivers there that day, amazing stuff. :D

You still swigging the Christmas spirits there junkie? Well done for missing the point. I'm slagging the characters flaws not the genre. :D:D:D

Yes I'm the "hurler on the ditch" (had to look that up) I'm not a heavily armed getaway driver. I'm only lightly armed. ;) That said we're on the look out for a nice S8 thanks for the nod. ;):D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭octyvrs

theres a two disc special edition of ronin in hmv's sale at the min for €6.99 if anyones interested :)

octyvrs wrote:
    theres a two disc special edition of ronin in hmv's sale at the min for €6.99 if anyones interested :)

Nice one octyvrs :)

octyvrs wrote:
    Thanks for that, I have it since it was 22 euros or something. There's a mini documentary on one of the disc's and they show how the stunts were made, they actually cut cars in half and tow them down the streets with a Mercedes 500E at 100 miles per hour to film the stars driving the cars. They also have an Audi S8 being driven by remote control by a guy sitting in the boot of the car, its amazing how the make films nowadays.Thanks TempestSabre, I'm a master at diversion tactics and missing points sur don't I sell cars for a living, and p.s. I never touched a drop of the stuff...trust me.;) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

patsyh wrote:
    Thats not a ferrari in that vid. Think its a nissan 240Z with a ferrari soundtrack over it. The revs are off in alot of scenes

The car used was the director's own Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9 not a 240Z
    In Ronin they had to pour resin on the brown 6.9s back tyres to generate wheelspin and smoke, not CGi effects. Pity they didn't keep the 6.9 for the chase with the BMW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

One of the interesting 'goofs' courtesy of www.imdb.com/
    "The car Deirdre drives in the final Paris car chase is an early-90s BMW 5-series. It is badged as M5, and has the correct wheels for this model. However in the tunnel scene, the dashboard shown is from a non-M 5 series, as all M models have red needles on the speedo etc, and this car has white needles"

Advertisement