Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing Bubble Bursting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Brendan O'Connor is to ignored when his articles mention:

1) Bertie (or any politics)
    2) Property
    3) Everything else

As he doesn't know his arse from his elbow in any of the above. But particularly 1) and 2).....and not to forget 3). Get used to seeing him defend Bertie / slag off his detractors and try to guilt us into buying more property. WON'T WORK BRENDAN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

ionapaul wrote: »
    Brendan O'Connor is to ignored when his articles mention:

1) Bertie (or any politics)
    2) Property
    3) Everything else

As he doesn't know his arse from his elbow in any of the above. But particularly 1) and 2).....and not to forget 3). Get used to seeing him defend Bertie / slag off his detractors and try to guilt us into buying more property. WON'T WORK BRENDAN!

BO'C is a funny guy (for all the wrong reasons...)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Speaking of the sunday (rag) independent, did anyone notice the property section yesterday had lots about new developments. Developers are still looking for €450+ for 3 bed apartments.

I was looking at it wondering is this the emperors new clothes? Aren't we supposed to be entering a time where property prices are normalising? There was also an article about queues for Hazelbrook Square. It seems to be that the Indo is the paper for property propaganda. I think its incredible that developers are still taking out full page colour adds telling you how €450+ for a 3 bed is good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

how €450+ for a 3 bed is good value.
    €450 is good value for a 3 bed. :D

€450 is good value for a 3 bed. :D

Eh, yeh. Course it is simplesammy......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Eh, yeh. Course it is simplesammy......
    Wow, that was original. Never have I heard that one before, see the way you took the nick and changed it to make out I was of below average intelligence, just, wow. Truly it was worth the hundreds of acres of amazonian rainforests that perished to fuel the mountain of crumpled up papers by the foot of your nightstand as you burned the midnight oil ceaselessly for months on end to come up with that gem, for now you can stand proud among the likes of Homer and Shakepseare, and be counted as truly unique.

Also, post reported.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- usual forum rules apply in here- if you disagree with a post, you attack the post, and *not* the poster.
    How Strange- you're on a warning.

Wow, that was original. Never have I heard that one before, see the way you took the nick and changed it to make out I was of below average intelligence, just, wow. Truly it was worth the hundreds of acres of amazonian rainforests that perished to fuel the mountain of crumpled up papers by the foot of your nightstand as you burned the midnight oil ceaselessly for months on end to come up with that gem, for now you can stand proud among the likes of Homer and Shakepseare, and be counted as truly unique.

Also, post reported.
    Apologies, edited reply -
    Eh, yeh. Of course it is SimpleSam06 ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Speaking of the sunday (rag) independent, did anyone notice the property section yesterday had lots about new developments. Developers are still looking for €450+ for 3 bed apartments.

I was looking at it wondering is this the emperors new clothes? Aren't we supposed to be entering a time where property prices are normalising? There was also an article about queues for Hazelbrook Square. It seems to be that the Indo is the paper for property propaganda. I think its incredible that developers are still taking out full page colour adds telling you how €450+ for a 3 bed is good value.

Where were these 3 bed apartments? If they were off a back road in Longford (and I mean no disrespect to Longford or back roads here), then it's pretty overvalued, but if it is a 3 bed in a prime location, e.g. temple bar or the docklands, then it sounds like good value to me.

Where were these 3 bed apartments? If they were off a back road in Longford (and I mean no disrespect to Longford or back roads here), then it's pretty overvalued, but if it is a 3 bed in a prime location, e.g. temple bar or the docklands, then it sounds like good value to me.
    Loughlinstown, Hazelbrook?, Adamstown and the old chocolate factory site in Kilmainham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

None of those areas are prime locations IMHO. €450k for a 3-bed in the docklands (southside of the river) or temple bar is at the upper range of good value, well, will be in a few years in any case!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

old chocolate factory site in Kilmainham
    Its not fair to bundle Killmainham with Loughinstown or Adamstown IMHO.

For the record, I would rather like in Mountjoy prison than live in Temple bar. Why would someone want to live there? With noise 24/7 and drunk people at your door 24/7?

I would guess that you can walk to O'Connell bridge in about half a hour from Killmainham [clearly depending on how fast you walk!], or about 5-10 mins walk to the red luas. Where the other two are about a 2 day bus journey to town. While its not the docklands, its not too bad at all IMHO

The problem with the chocolate factory apartments are that they are a touch small IMHO with a lot of them in and around 70 SQ M's. But they do look really quite flash inside with granite worktops and all that jazz [I viewed a couple of them] :)

I would guess that you can walk to O'Connell bridge in about half a hour from Killmainham [clearly depending on how fast you walk!], or about 5-10 mins walk to the red luas. Where the other two are about a 2 day bus journey to town. While its not the docklands, its not too bad at all IMHO

The problem with the chocolate factory apartments are that they are a touch small IMHO with a lot of them in and around 70 SQ M's. But they do look really quite flash inside with granite worktops and all that jazz [I viewed a couple of them] :)
    Kilmainham would be one of my fav places to live - close to town, on luas line, near the phoenix park but jeez I think that is €30-40k more than they should be. I think 2 beds were around €380k.

Do-more wrote: »
    Front page news in the Westmeath Examiner! 20 units sold out of the 40 available in the two weeks since the relaunch of Rathgowan....

Rathgowan.jpg

Thanks for posting this article, I bought a house there on the 3rd weekend of the relaunch, there is about 10 houses left now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

lollers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

De papers seem to be missing the obvious question. If builders are knocking 20% off the price of new developments and still only selling half of them, how much will they have to knock off to sell the rest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Superjet701

De papers seem to be missing the obvious question. If builders are knocking 20% off the price of new developments and still only selling half of them, how much will they have to knock off to sell the rest?

Still only "claiming" to sell half of them! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There has been a rash of developments which have had prices knocked off at the start of this year than last year.

From the IT last thurs and previous thurs, i've lost count of the number of 'price reductions' by developers.
    It's good to see though that they have copped on that their prices have been way too high for far too long.

Of course when we see widespread sell-outs then we may have a case to call the bottom but we are way long off for that yet as the prices are not appealing to get your average joe and jane to queue up en masse.! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

gurramok wrote: »
    There has been a rash of developments which have had prices knocked off at the start of this year than last year.

From the IT last thurs and previous thurs, i've lost count of the number of 'price reductions' by developers.
    It's good to see though that they have copped on that their prices have been way too high for far too long.

Of course when we see widespread sell-outs then we may have a case to call the bottom but we are way long off for that yet as the prices are not appealing to get your average joe and jane to queue up en masse.! :)

Things must be getting really bad if, heaven forbid, a developer has to lower his price to attract the saps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

gurramok wrote: »

If you get people queueing en masse, then they've dropped waaaay too far, they'll be happy with a steady trickle. I'd argue that you'd only get queueing in a rising market, or if the homes being sold were limited availability (i.e. 3 or 4 in a very good area/location), the second we get mass queueing in a falling market, then prices will start rising again :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

A colleague of mine took two days off work last week to queue for two days for house in Knocklion? Near dundrum. He was number 3 in line and said there 40 people queuing before the end. The developer had slashed 100 off, from 600, to 500. He was delighted with himself, but wrecked from queuing for two days!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

astrofool wrote: »
    I'd argue that you'd only get queueing in a rising market, or if the homes being sold were limited availability (i.e. 3 or 4 in a very good area/location), the second we get mass queueing in a falling market, then prices will start rising again :)

Or these are the fools that couldn't get approval for spring 06 prices.
    WTF is wrong with these people?, queuing to buy in a crashing housing market with all signs that the economy is heading south?

Idiots, sorry if that seems strong., but ffs..the developer is dropping the price because no-one wants the damn things...
    No sympathy, welcome to instant negative equity.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A colleague of mine took two days off work last week to queue for two days for house in Knocklion? Near dundrum. He was number 3 in line and said there 40 people queuing before the end. The developer had slashed 100 off, from 600, to 500. He was delighted with himself, but wrecked from queuing for two days!

Dundrum: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=dublin&ie=UTF8&ll=53.290784,-6.245191&spn=0.065569,0.159645&z=13

Knocklyon http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=dublin&ie=UTF8&ll=53.282305,-6.318126&spn=0.065581,0.159645&z=13

Estate Agent 1 : Common Sense 0

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Before the M50 went in, Knocklyon extended into Firhouse which is Tallaght

I guess what he meant was it doesn't take long to get from Knocklyon to Dundrum.... along that self same M50! Victor, those maps dont have it marked as far as i can see, but you're very smart anyway. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just zoom in one or two layers and you'll get more names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what was the reaction of other people at your work to this guy taking the days off?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Longfield wrote: »
    Or these are the fools that couldn't get approval for spring 06 prices.
    WTF is wrong with these people?, queuing to buy in a crashing housing market with all signs that the economy is heading south?

Idiots, sorry if that seems strong., but ffs..the developer is dropping the price because no-one wants the damn things...
    No sympathy, welcome to instant negative equity.

Sorry, I should have qualified that by saying big queues leading to a sell out, which we haven't had anything near so far, it's been more like, at the launch of a phase, or a large price cut that a bunch of people queue just for the sake of it.

It's like those guys who queue for the new Star Wars movie for 3 months, when there's absolutely no need to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Before the M50 went in, Knocklyon extended into Firhouse which is Tallaght

Eh what? Firhouse is firhouse. Its not part of tallaght.

• Advertisement

SkepticOne wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind me asking, but what was the reaction of other people at your work to this guy taking the days off?
    No-one really batted an eyelid. He probably took it out of his annual leave I guess. BTW, he said that the development sold out (first phase)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement