Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing Bubble Bursting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gegerty wrote: »
    OK thanks for pointing out the obvious. So I'll rephrase my question based on your simple economics above. What will cause the number of people buying homes to match or outstip the number of homes available for sale?
    There are tonnes of possible factors. Usual suspects are:

1. Net immigration
    2. Relaxed lending rules/lower interest rates
    3. Drop in building output

There are also other more subtle things such as people's confidence in the economy/perception of job security and so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

steo123 wrote: »
    lads whats the average house price these days in dublin for a decent gaff!?

I don't know. But on the subject of average prices, which people in here love to mention (and average salaries too) If everyone could afford the "average" house what would happen? The "average" would go up. So "people" would still be unable to afford the "average" house price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

beeno67 wrote: »
    I didn't say that
    My mistake. It was Gegerty that used that term. I agree with you that it is fairly meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Such a wonderful contribution as ever. I see you're training to be a garda. Good luck buying a house LOL!

If you done your research, you would know I already bought dh! And well before the madness started

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Such a wonderful contribution as ever. I see you're training to be a garda. Good luck buying a house LOL!

Gegerty- official warning.
    Forum rules are if you disagree with what someone posts, you dispute the post and do not attack the poster.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    There are tonnes of possible factors. Usual suspects are:

1. Net immigration
    2. Relaxed lending rules/lower interest rates
    3. Drop in building output

There are also other more subtle things such as people's confidence in the economy/perception of job security and so forth.

No.3 has happened on a major scale, but obviously there will be a lag effect before its benfits can be seen, if any. If people simply aren't buying it will make no difference, leading onto your last point, peoples confidence. Believe it or not this is mainly my argument (admitedly I've been side tracked :)). There are people out there who can afford to buy right now, but who are scared to do so.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Gegerty- official warning.
    Forum rules are if you disagree with what someone posts, you dispute the post and do not attack the poster.

If you want me to take that warning seriously then I'll need to see it recipricated. I think you know which posts I'm talking about or shall I use the report abuse button?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

I don't know. But on the subject of average prices, which people in here love to mention (and average salaries too) If everyone could afford the "average" house what would happen? The "average" would go up. So "people" would still be unable to afford the "average" house price.
    Property and housing aren't zero sum games. New property is being constantly added to the pool, even today, and that excludes the massive overhang. There is no reason to assume that average houses would increase in price just because everyone could afford one, that makes no sense at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lookit......
    I'm getting seriously pissed off here.

1 week ban for:

Gegerty
    Beeno67
    Punchestown

There will be no further personal abuse on this thread.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

shall I use the report abuse button?
    That is how we prefer people top do things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

What stops the downward spiral? Or do prices keep going down forever? There has to be a solution otherwise prices will keep falling.
    A simple rule of thumb when working out if residential property is fairly valued is the 12-times-the-rent rule. You simply multiple the annual rent by 12 to roughly work out what it's fair value is.

This means that a property renting for 1500 p/m (bringing in18,000 per annum) should be valued at around 216,000. If average property prices were around this level, then you would start to get a lot more transactions in the market and the downward spiral would petter out. At this level, the monthly cost of a 20 year mortgage is comparable to the rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

If everyone could afford the "average" house what would happen?
    If house prices were affordable they would would not be piling up unsold. I think some posters here equate affordability with the maximum amount they can borrow whereas really it is the amount the buyer can reasonably justify given other uses for that money and alternatives to buying.

SkepticOne wrote: »
    I think some posters here equate affordability with the maximum amount they can borrow whereas really it is the amount the buyer can reasonably justify given other uses for that money and alternatives to buying.
    This is a great point. Affordability is all relative. You can't just look at the monthly cost of the mortgage, M, and then your monthly wage, W and determine that it is affordable if W > M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

A simple rule of thumb when working out if residential property is fairly valued is the 12-times-the-rent rule. You simply multiple the annual rent by 12 to roughly work out what it's fair value is.
    Scary if true! The place I'm renting (GF and myself) costs 650pm so that would put the house value at 93600. The ll bought the place for 230k which means that he might be in real trouble.

(As an aside, the house is in a rural village near a large town and was unoccupied for months prior to us so they could probably not do much better on the rent)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Monsoon26

Afuera wrote: »

This means that a property renting for 1500 p/m (bringing in18,000 per annum) should be valued at around 216,000. If average property prices were around this level, then you would start to get a lot more transactions in the market and the downward spiral would petter out. At this level, the monthly cost of a 20 year mortgage is comparable to the rent.

Afuera, are you in the property biz / mortgage lending? Is this a recognised formula? Would seem a little outta kilter ?? in that case most dublin property is multiples overvalued !:confused:

Monsoon26 wrote: »
    Afuera, are you in the property biz / mortgage lending? Is this a recognised formula? Would seem a little outta kilter ?? in that case most dublin property is multiples overvalued !:confused:
    No I'm not involved with the property business. The concept I mentioned is known as the Gross Rent Multiplier (GRM) and can be used for all types of assets. It's only rough but historically it has been found that for residentional property around 12-15 times is the norm. This equates to a yield of around 8%. Everyone from the OECD to the IMF have been pointing out that Irish property prices have been overvalued for years. It shouldn't really be such a great surprise to hear this but it seems the PR guys in the Irish banks did a great job of pulling the wool over everyones eyes.

It's only rough but historically it has been found that for residentional property around 12-15 times is the norm. This equates to a yield of around 8%.
    Its unreal when you think about it. What that means is that anyone who can afford to rent in a particular location should be able to purchase a property on the strength of twelve years rent, or probably twenty years mortgage. It does synch fairly well with my prediction of 40% to 50% price drops at the end of the day however, factoring inflation into account.

No I'm not involved with the property business. The concept I mentioned is known as the Gross Rent Multiplier (GRM) and can be used for all types of assets. It's only rough but historically it has been found that for residentional property around 12-15 times is the norm. This equates to a yield of around 8%. Everyone from the OECD to the IMF have been pointing out that Irish property prices have been overvalued for years. It shouldn't really be such a great surprise to hear this but it seems the PR guys in the Irish banks did a great job of pulling the wool over everyones eyes.

Yeah, but us Irish were an easy bunch to manipulate, we love property !!
    I was thinking of buying in 2006, but instead I spent my SSIA (AKA fair deposit) on 6 months of travelling & nice car..bit frivellous, but glad I did all the same. May prices keep dropping I say..!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

steo123 wrote: »
    lads whats the average house price these days in dublin for a decent gaff!?

Depends on your definition of decent.

You can get an average 3-bed semi in Darndale for €265k,
    here
    in Clonsilla for €350khere, or in Terenure for €670k here
    gurramok wrote: »
    According to bulls, around an affordable 450k. Its nothing, isn't it? :D

Or you can believe bullshìt like this ^^.

It does synch fairly well with my prediction of 40% to 50% price drops at the end of the day however, factoring inflation into account.
    But you said 40% to 50% drops not counting inflation....
    You said negative equity...
    You said the bubble would burst, there would be no soft landing...

A 40% drop counting inflation over 10-15 years is the very definition of a soft landing.

That would mean nobody was in any real negative equity.

Or has a soft landing been redefined to better suit your predictions?

• Advertisement

Gurgle wrote: »
    Depends on your definition of decent.

here

Or you can believe bullshìt like this ^^.

All the same Gurgle...the average of those three prices is €428k...!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

HA HA HA. Ludicrous trying to argue that what we are seeing now (falls of about 10% over the last year, if you want to factor in inflation that's an annual fall of 15%) is a soft landing - feck it, if you want to argue that why not go the whole hog and argue that this is exactly what all the property cheerleaders expected all along? Why lie small when it feels so much better to lie big?

Gurgle wrote: »
    A 40% drop counting inflation over 10-15 years is the very definition of a soft landing.
    Hahaha, the only one talking about those price drops over 10-15 years here is you. Your prediction has already been proven wildly inaccurate. Would you like me to dig it up again for you? :D Or are you still enjoying trying to get a rise out of people (by your own admission)?
    ionapaul wrote:
    Ludicrous trying to argue that what we are seeing now (falls of about 10% over the last year, if you want to factor in inflation that's an annual fall of 15%) is a soft landing - feck it, if you want to argue that why not go the whole hog and argue that this is exactly what all the property cheerleaders expected all along?
    Its gas alright, in the event of a nuclear war you can just imagine them picking over the glazed and still ticking ruins, squinting out of their bleary third eye and telling themselves it still doesn't constitute a hard landing.

Its unreal when you think about it. What that means is that anyone who can afford to rent in a particular location should be able to purchase a property on the strength of twelve years rent, or probably twenty years mortgage. It does synch fairly well with my prediction of 40% to 50% price drops at the end of the day however, factoring inflation into account.
    It does sound a bit weird but I think that's only because we've been in such bubblicious territory for so long. In any sane market, this would be normal. Renting should cost more than buying since the renter is taking on zero risk and no hassle.

The real problem over the next few years will probably be trying to get a mortgage in the first place (even if it's for a reasonably priced property). Currently the banks are well spooked, have their shareholders spooked and will need to be very proactive in showing themselves to be solid. A deposit of 15-20% will likely be expected for mortages so any would-be-buyers should start saving on that one ASAP.

Gurgle wrote:
    A 40% drop counting inflation over 10-15 years is the very definition of a soft landing
    ionapaul wrote: »
    HA HA HA. Ludicrous trying to argue that what we are seeing now (falls of about 10% over the last year, if you want to factor in inflation that's an annual fall of 15%) is a soft landing
    Your keyboard is working fine, but you really need to get your monitor sorted out; you're missing half the words in what you read.
    Monsoon26 wrote:
    All the same Gurgle...the average of those three prices is €428k...!!
    Finally, someone gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

How does a 15% inflation-adjusted drop in ONE YEAR relate to your projected 40% inflation-adjusted drop in 10-15 years? Please explain; I must be stupid... are you suggesting that, after this one year crash...em, drop....em, soft landing that for the next 9-14 years we'll see much more modest falls and sure, that's de definition of the soft landing for you. 'Tis always time to buy, to be sure, to be sure.

You are trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

In reference to

And then
    Boggle wrote: »
    Scary if true! The place I'm renting (GF and myself) costs 650pm so that would put the house value at 93600. The ll bought the place for 230k which means that he might be in real trouble.

No, it is not abolutely not scary. It is actually dead on the money (this from an ex-landlord in France, Germany and the UK). I used to get 25% for students in F1s for years, and wouldn't look at anything I couldn't at least get half that (12.5%) out of. Any less and the returns are usually outstripped by pure financial-type products. Now, that's entirely small-scale investor bubble-free reasoning, mind you (believing in the "one in the hand" of property purchase price/RoI from rent, rather than the "two in the bush" of property purchase/maybe get a tenant/who gives a f*ck about the RoI/prices are climbing forever) ;)

EDIT & Disclaimer - of course, the return on investment will at all times be proportional to the original purchase price, which is why landlords of much earlier tenure may in fact still be laughing (or at least, sleep sound) even by the time 2006 prices get halved... say, if they bought in the early 90s. But in a bubble-free market, the rule of 12 should still hold over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i think the "value" of the house i'm renting is 36 times the annual rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

RuggieBear wrote: »
    i think the "value" of the house i'm renting is 36 times the annual rent.

Got you beat - 43 here: €1250 pm, a conservative €650k estimate (4 bed semi in D16). Return: 2,31% gross. Take tax, agency fees, maintenance provisions, insurance etc. off and... well... I've got a much much smaller figure than the house price estimate, that's made much much more babies (net of tax) than what the landlord's got from us in 4 years, over the same period ;)

EDIT & Disclaimer (copy/paste) - of course, the return on investment will at all times be proportional to the original purchase price, which is why our landlord may in fact still be laughing (or at least, sleep sound) even by the time 2006 prices get halved... say, if he bought in the early 90s, at which time the house price may have been, I dunno, say €120k? In that case, return gross atm is closer to 12.5%, which is eminently still acceptable as an investment (unhinged from capital appreciation).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

ambro25 wrote: »
    Got you beat - 43 here: €1250 pm, a conservative €650k estimate (4 bed semi in D16). Return: 2,31% gross. Take tax, agency fees, maintenance provisions, insurance etc. off and... well... I've got a much much smaller figure than the house price estimate, that's made much much more babies (net of tax) than what the landlord's got from us in 4 years, over the same period ;)

EDIT & Disclaimer (copy/paste) - of course, the return on investment will at all times be proportional to the original purchase price, which is why our landlord may in fact still be laughing (or at least, sleep sound) even by the time 2006 prices get halved... say, if he bought in the early 90s, at which time the house price may have been, I dunno, say €120k? In that case, return gross atm is closer to 12.5%, which is eminently still acceptable as an investment (unhinged from capital appreciation).

Folks, I'm not convinced that the Formula here is entirely accurate, given the huge number of rental properties available on the market due to the large number of people who bought second properties for this purpose.

I'm not bullish on the property market in General as it happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement