Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys DSL Wireless G Router Digiweb

Options
  • 29-12-2006 1:30am

I need help badly. My head is wrecked. I have signed up to digiweb. They provided me with a zyxel ethernet router. It works perfectly. However when I connect my Linksys Wireless G WAG54GS wireless dsl router to the phoneline no dsl signal is picked up by the router. At first I thought i had a bad router so I exhchanged it in the shops and got a new one but I still have the same problem The dsl light flashes on for one second and then turns off.
    It is connected to the phone line correctly

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do???

Please HELP HELP HELP!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Have you set it up with the correct connection settings so it knows how to connect to Digiweb's network? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭JungleBunny

Oh my god!
    Have the same problem! It's like you were reading my mind :)

Thanks for that link Asok!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

like?! :D

So you are reading my mind. That you in my head? Thought I was hearing some noises up there :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

A guy I know who works in pc shop was telling me a while ago that they have a lots of perfectly good wireless equipment returned by customers who are adamant that the equipment is not working. Add one linksys to the pile.
    Did you read the set up instructions?

The set up instructions are not very clear I have to say.
    The CD they give you has slightly different instructions than the booklet and is just generally not very helpful.
    Thought I had followed all the steps from the booklet but nothing worked.

Will try the link above though this evening when I get home.

I have entered the settings correctly

Encapsulation: PPPoE

Multiplex: LLC

VPI: 8

VCI: 35

I just dont understand why the router is not picking up the DSL (ie why no dsl is not being picked up by the router...

More Help needed.

Thanks Guys

I have entered the settings correctly

Encapsulation: PPPoE

Multiplex: LLC

VPI: 8

VCI: 35

I just dont understand why the router is not picking up the DSL (ie why no dsl is not being picked up by the router...

More Help needed.

Thanks Guys

Any possibility of trying the router on a friend's set up. Have you checked the filters to see if they are working ok? there is every possibility that the linksys does have a problem of course bit it does seem unlikely that you would get two with exactly the same symptoms. (the wag54gs can have other issues like losing its settings so beware of that anyone who uses it)

i have checked the filters. Do u think by a slim chance the router may not be compatable with digiweb?? On the linksys website it says if no dsl light appear conntact your isp. When on the digiweb website it says it doesnt support 3rd party routers. My mate has also just gone away on holidays. I am stuck and it sucks!!!

HEEEEEEEEELLLLPP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

if you have it on phone extension, disconnect and try at where phone lines come in to house.

i have checked the filters. Do u think by a slim chance the router may not be compatable with digiweb?? On the linksys website it says if no dsl light appear conntact your isp. When on the digiweb website it says it doesnt support 3rd party routers. My mate has also just gone away on holidays. I am stuck and it sucks!!!

HEEEEEEEEELLLLPP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There should be no reason why the router will not work with Digiweb. No isp afaik will support 3rd party routers - there are just too many different variations out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Try changing the PPPoE to PPPoA. I remember reading somewhere on boards that a guy had the same issue and for some reason changing it to PPPoA worked. Odd, considering it's all PPPoE for irish isp's, but no harm in trying....

I changed the settings to PPPoa and this did not work. The settings are entered correctly but the dsl light is still not coming on.

Getting pissed off with myself that I cannot fix this

More Help please

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 marek_o

Hi,

Unfortunatelly I won't be of any help, just info. I have the same router for about 7 months now working (well sort of) on Eircom BB. It takes up to 70hrs to get the DSL sync sometimes, sometimes - 1 out of 10 it get the sync right away. Once it get the sync it will hold until next hangup - 6-10 days. I tested absolutely everything - I've been to Linksys and Eircom support - neither of them has any idea what may be wrong with it. I came accross a post saying that in NL on Tiscali BB the firmware need to be updated to version 1.0.10. But I was unable to locate such version. Linksys say nothing. I have tried it simultaneously with Eircom modem which picked up the DSL without any problem every time. At the moment I am thinking about getting someone from Eircom to mesure the line for me, maybe the signal is not strong enough for the Linksys? Pings tonight reached 1200ms! So definetly my service ain't the best one.
    I am running out of ideas. Having read your post I can see that there is more problems with that router model though. Maybe insted of bringing Eircom engineer to check the line I get the router replaced?

Marek

marek_o wrote:
    Hi,

Unfortunatelly I won't be of any help, just info. I have the same router for about 7 months now working (well sort of) on Eircom BB. It takes up to 70hrs to get the DSL sync sometimes, sometimes - 1 out of 10 it get the sync right away. Once it get the sync it will hold until next hangup - 6-10 days. I tested absolutely everything - I've been to Linksys and Eircom support - neither of them has any idea what may be wrong with it. I came accross a post saying that in NL on Tiscali BB the firmware need to be updated to version 1.0.10. But I was unable to locate such version. Linksys say nothing. I have tried it simultaneously with Eircom modem which picked up the DSL without any problem every time. At the moment I am thinking about getting someone from Eircom to mesure the line for me, maybe the signal is not strong enough for the Linksys? Pings tonight reached 1200ms! So definetly my service ain't the best one.
    I am running out of ideas. Having read your post I can see that there is more problems with that router model though. Maybe insted of bringing Eircom engineer to check the line I get the router replaced?

Marek

If the Eircom modem is picking up the dsl no problem then it is most unlikely that there is anything wrong with the line.

Have you tried the firmware on the linksys site? They have a version 1.00.12 (Annex A) for download while you could also have a look at ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/firmware. This link (amongst many) http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=2293 suggests that there are plenty of problems with this model.

I have used it myself and found that it dropped settings arbitrarily and reverted to factory settings. (This is a very common fault with this model)

I also found that it was very susceptible to line quality much more so than a netgear which I use. I don't know how manufacturers get away with releasing stuff which is manifestly not suitable for release. Linksys support was abysmal too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

When you first connect the line to the router does the ADSL led indicate that its looking for a adsl activated line by blinking on and off and then after a few seconds to a minute it lights up permanently?

Thanks for the information on the firmware. That might just do the trick. I will try tmorrow and post an update. The dsl light only flashes for 2 seconds and then completly turns off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 marek_o

Well,

Firmware update to 1.0.12 didn't help in my case, still no connection after 24 hrs of flashing DSL link, countless resetting. I gave it 24hrs and now there is a brand new shiny netgear sitting on my desk.

Advertisement