Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Guide #1: Newbie Guide to Eve-Online / Ask any questions you have here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Hey thanks for all this info, I've really wanted to play EVE for a while, and it seems there is a big Irish community judging by this forum!

There sure is and it ain't as bad as some make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

kyp_durron wrote: »
    There sure is and it ain't as bad as some make out.

Although one or two are worse than people make out.... not naming any names though, like all games there is the occasional idiot. :D

Hmm I really need to re do this guide, 100mil to the person who writes a decent beginner guide before I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Dont ever set the POS to "attack on agression"

Helps avoid embarrassing situations like these

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭mamolian

Best advise you can get as a newbie to eve..

Get involved in the PVP early.. Otherwise you end up as a 30mill skillpoint carebear afraid to undock.. Seen it happen sooo many times :( So get into a corp thats war decced regularly.. something like Eve University.. and get your frigate tackler over where the action is and get yerself killed and podded a few times.. Works wonders for your knowledge of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Sand wrote: »
    Dont ever set the POS to "attack on agression"

Helps avoid embarrassing situations like these

That happens more then you'd think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I'm so confident Ill never be sitting at my PC, scrammed, webbed, neuted and waiting for my own death star break my horrible honour tank thatll I'll jinx it and say "I'm sure Ill never have sort of humilitating crap happen to me!"

Though if I recall correctly, someone managed to get a enemy tower to kill its owners by agressing it and cloaking ASAP. Owners who hadnt agressed died horribly to tower. I wouldnt give any credit to the story tbh as its so stupid, but :CCP:

I mean, why the **** even have a "Attack on aggression" setting? Darwinism?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Right, I've just completed the tutorial, attempted the first non-tutorial mission but got blown to peices in my Caldari Ibis. I've ended up failing it, will this impact me much or can I repeat the mission? Should/can I upgrade the Ibis or should I move on to another ship, don't think I can afford it right now anyway :( What sort of skills should I be focusing on learning first? Is there an Irish corporation that wants to help a cool newbie out? :D

Thread cleaned, just removed the random stuff and kept the advice and some relevant comments.

Also if you look at the charter it says no begging but let me clarify this. I don't want to encourage players asking specifically for isk in here or in game as if you do this you'll usually be doing it for your whole game time in eve or quit playing when you run out of isk.

The player/boards nick thread is there to post your player name / corporation / alts etc if you want, if you are new to the game as for help (I don't mean isk, I mean ship fitting advice, how to find/run missions etc) in the irish room I know if I see a new player I always chuck them some isk and so do a lot of other lads but we don't want every player/alt begging for isk.

You need to be able to go out and sustain yourself or get really lucky and get into a proper commie corp and get everything given to you or a major alliance and get certain ships free for fighting or at a discounted rate.

Hope this clarifies the matter. [/mod] :pac:

Updated Thread title

As it says if you have a question and you aren't getting an answer in game you can ask it here. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Ive being playin eve for a few weeks now and ive being makin a small bit of money trading stuff. Is there ne thing that is guaranteed to sell r ne one know where certain stuff sell cheap/expensive?

• Advertisement

jonny666 wrote: »
    Ive being playin eve for a few weeks now and ive being makin a small bit of money trading stuff. Is there ne thing that is guaranteed to sell r ne one know where certain stuff sell cheap/expensive?

Hmmm, this is the major thing about market pvp. It's all about supply and demand. Obviously I can't tell you what to buy and sell because I don't really do market PvP but I can imagine most people won't want to give away their edge to someone else either.

Best thing I can advise is try and stock the high sec space near to war zones at the time, Agil has a nice market in regards to ripping everyone off problem is its out of the way and really is a pain if you have to travel out there every so often just to change a few sell orders.

I know a lot of people make isk of reselling faction ammo from one area where its cheap and abundant and another area where its not.

http://www.eve-central.com This link might help you a bit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Ya nobody would be willing to give their secrets!

Thanks a million for the link its really handy. Suppose the only thing to do is to keep an eye on the market. Maybe risk goin into low security places where the price would be higher. Any other general hints or tips??

Thanks a million for the link its really handy. Suppose the only thing to do is to keep an eye on the market. Maybe risk goin into low security places where the price would be higher. Any other general hints or tips??

Not that I can think of, sorry mate. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Roll up an alt in other region hubs

Jita, Amarr, Rens, Oursaleert.

then just log in and check price disparity between T2 items. For example T2 cap rechargers in Oursaleert might be 5 million cheaper than in Jita. Travel to Ours buy as much as you can afford/fit and sell it in Jita. Also certain NPC stations buy up trade goods although these are mostly farmed daily especially by alliances with titans. So if you see Thulsa jump bridging freighters full of quafe you know what they are doing.

(Shamelessly taken from Mr. Rive, thanks in advance)
    1) Create a minmatar alt, and set him with these specs:
    a) minmatar
    b) sebeistor
    c) tinkerer
    d) Military
    e) Special forces

2) train electronics to lvl 3, and get propulsion jamming, and train high speed maneuvering level 1.

You can also train a few support skills for better cap etc, but if you just want to jump in and be able to roam around low sec and kill stuff or die in a fire, its a nice thing to have. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Really stupid question but anyway i have the 14 day trial if i want to upgrade do i need to actually buy the game or just buy the 30 day subscription?

Stev_o wrote: »
    Really stupid question but anyway i have the 14 day trial if i want to upgrade do i need to actually buy the game or just buy the 30 day subscription?

You can actually buy a 60 day GTC from http://www.shatteredcrystal.com/index.php (takes a bit to register with them first) and activate your account with that, or alternatively you can pay via credit card on the site itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

R0ot wrote: »
    You can actually buy a 60 day GTC from http://www.shatteredcrystal.com/index.php (takes a bit to register with them first) and activate your account with that, or alternatively you can pay via credit card on the site itself.

But is there anyway of just getting it from GAME or something? Don't have a CC so can't do it online >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

But is there anyway of just getting it from GAME or something? Don't have a CC so can't do it online >_>

You can get the box if game or where ever have it in stock. You get a sixty day time code with it along with install media if you need it. You can use the code on a new account or with an existing one so it should work on the 14 day trial account.

http://www.game.co.uk/PC/RolePlaying/MassivelyMultiplayer/~r339497/Eve-Online/?s=eve

In some cases it can be cheaper to get the box then buying time, especially if it's only for sixty days. You can also split the time code up in to two thirty day codes called PLEX's and sell them on the in game market for isk if you that way inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭WuuZii

Get one of these these and set up a paypal account. It works like a pre-paid mobile, you top up and then use it to buy stuff online like Timecards from Shattered Crystal (awesome service from those guys).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

2nd day of my 14 day trial, first off thanks to wicked01 and ser shondi for help and isk, i bought a caladari cormorant and learning skills with it :)

But basically....what do i do now...not being childish or shallow, but one of the main reasons i was interested in EVE was the huge fleet battles i seen on youtube, long story short i want some of them lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

now you look for a pvp corporation to take you on in the recruitment section of the forum

As gneez said check that forum link, or check the ingame recruitment channels. Avoid people saying "miners, mission runners" in their corp description as they are usually retards.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭WuuZii

If anyone asks for an application fee/deposit then close convo. It is a scam you will get burnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Zerolord

You can get the new box been distributed by atari in game atm just so everyone knows. I think its 30euro and it comes with a limited edition ship, but its only a small ship so i would just d/l the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

its a shuttle with a slightly different coloured skin is all

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

are all game time codes sold at same price? is there somewhere i could get them on the cheap? While im here, is it normal to get to the log in screen that it takes 15-20 mins to upload?? cheers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You'll pay €22 odd euro for a 60 day gtc from www.shatteredcrystal.com, or about 580 million isk if you want to buy it in game. And no, it shouldnt take anywhere near that long to load the game. Takes about 20 seconds for me. What sort of rig are you playing it on?

Kiith wrote: »
    And no, it shouldnt take anywhere near that long to load the game. Takes about 20 seconds for me. What sort of rig are you playing it on?
    I dont know what you mean by "rig" mesa newbie!! im playing on windows vista premium the game itself plays fine detail levels etc on high no problem, but when i click on the eve icon on desktop it takes a good 15 min to get to log in screen.Is there a shortcut or something im not doing?

has it got something to do with when i finish should i be quitting game??

• Advertisement

ive figured it thanks anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement