Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Guide #1: Newbie Guide to Eve-Online / Ask any questions you have here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 deafkon

jst bought this game a cpl of days ago on steam. dam fine game jst the learning curve sucks!!! going to redo the tut tonight and throw on the irish channel. there any irish corps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

So, planning on playing again. Moving back into Dublin so I'll have proper bb again at last!

Been... two years since I last played so just going to presume I've forgotten everything and start a new toon, do training missions etc again from scratch.

From what I'm reading though, race and class/background etc isn't important anymore? Does it have any input at all? Ie: are some racial ships a mite better at certain types of pvp generally, so time could be saved in not having to train up cross race ship skills maybe?

Red Vs Blue is apparently a good corp to head to to get a grip on pvp? I'd like to jump straight into basically, last time I didn't engage at all really.

Probably be more once I actually get to log in again. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Nevore wrote: »
    So, planning on playing again. Moving back into Dublin so I'll have proper bb again at last!

Been... two years since I last played so just going to presume I've forgotten everything and start a new toon, do training missions etc again from scratch.

From what I'm reading though, race and class/background etc isn't important anymore? Does it have any input at all? Ie: are some racial ships a mite better at certain types of pvp generally, so time could be saved in not having to train up cross race ship skills maybe?

Red Vs Blue is apparently a good corp to head to to get a grip on pvp? I'd like to jump straight into basically, last time I didn't engage at all really.

Probably be more once I actually get to log in again. :P

If you still know your old account i would start with that as you have alot more skill points.

These days the skill points on a new character start at 50,000 or something. 2 years ago it was 800,000ish skill points.

It does depend on what you want tho.

Found my old account.

My old "main" has 920k sp's and a scant quarter mill isks. Can't login right now, but presumably there's a couple of ships etc.

Couple of q's.
    Can you use alts to aid each other, like in WoW?
    Can you namechange? Apparently I started an alt with a stupid throwaway name, for god knows what reason and he's sitting pretty at 800k sps... It'd be great to change the name. <<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

You can only train up one character at a time as far as I know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭WuuZii

Found my old account.

My old "main" has 920k sp's and a scant quarter mill isks. Can't login right now, but presumably there's a couple of ships etc.

Couple of q's.
    Can you use alts to aid each other, like in WoW?

You need a second account as you can only log into 1 character per account at any given time.
    Can you namechange? Apparently I started an alt with a stupid throwaway name, for god knows what reason and he's sitting pretty at 800k sps... It'd be great to change the name. <<

You might be able to petition a GM for a name change, other than that I dont know/think so!

ahh, ok. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MartinDublin

installed it,but wont start.
    I am using Tiger. Does the game support the Tiger version or do I have to uograde to Leopard or Snow Leopard?
    The maschine is an IMac, intel.
    On the download page there is no ifno on the required version.

thanks for the info.

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

installed it,but wont start.
    I am using Tiger. Does the game support the Tiger version or do I have to uograde to Leopard or Snow Leopard?
    The maschine is an IMac, intel.
    On the download page there is no ifno on the required version.

thanks for the info.

Martin

http://support.eveonline.com/Pages/KB/Article.aspx?id=124

OS X 10.5.8 or later. Which ever animal that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MartinDublin

Thanks,
    its Snow Leopard ;-)
    So I can not install on the MACBook.

Martin

• Advertisement

So, I'm doing the SoE starting epic line, and I've run into a brick wall.

I last did the missions a couple of weeks ago, so my memory is hazy as to what I might have done.

Long story short, went to pick the missions up again, saw I needed to pick up an item, and drop it off. Mission dialogue said the objective was complete, but I've looked in assets, no sign of the item, went to every station that had my ships, checked them all, and repackaged just to be sure. Still no sign. Thinking maybe it was that I'd blown the hell out of everyone but forgotten to grab the crate, I headed over to the mission space to be confronted with... precisely nothing. Not even a jumpgate to get into the complex.

Any ideas on where to go next? It's possible I sold or trashed the item while house cleaning I guess, it'd be great if it were possible to reset the mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gaunty

If all else fails, petition it nevore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Mission dialogue said the objective was complete, but I've looked in assets, no sign of the item, went to every station that had my ships, checked them all, and repackaged just to be sure.

If it says objective complete can you complete it with the agent? If you really need the item chances are you blew up the ship that had it and left it behind, DT would have cleared the area.

Petition and see what happens, they might reset the mission for you otherwise "Please note: Failing a mission will take you back to the first mission in the chapter." redo from start.

Apparently you just have to quit and wait 3 months to be able to restart, since it's epic arc.
    No worries anyway, I'm in EVE Uni now and we're war-dec'd, so no mission running even if I wanted to! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 83,476 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So I did all the tutorials, finished SoE, and was in E-Uni until they got wardecced so Ive stepped out. But I did fleet with them a few times in a Tackler Tristan.

Now though I went and got myself into Planet Interaction so now I only have half a million isk left and im not really sure where to go or what to do now. Planetary interaction doesnt seem like a big honey pot and I don't know where to go for any more profitable missions. Tried looking at Hek and Oursalert but those missions basically comprise of courrier and low level crap that pays out pocket change. What should I do now beside station spin and skill up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Overheal wrote: »
    So I did all the tutorials, finished SoE, and was in E-Uni until they got wardecced so Ive stepped out. But I did fleet with them a few times in a Tackler Tristan.

Now though I went and got myself into Planet Interaction so now I only have half a million isk left and im not really sure where to go or what to do now. Planetary interaction doesnt seem like a big honey pot and I don't know where to go for any more profitable missions. Tried looking at Hek and Oursalert but those missions basically comprise of courrier and low level crap that pays out pocket change. What should I do now beside station spin and skill up?

Could always join a 0.0 alliance that has no regard for skill points (TEST springs to mind) and watch how much isk you can make in 0.0 . (Also probably lose most of that hauling everything you own around in a hauler)

Missions are going to get a huge buff in terms of quality after Thursdays patch (see patch notes here) so you'll start to make more money and be able to move away from the currently swamped hubs of Motsu/Hek etc.

There are quite a few recruitment postings on Eve-o for pirate corps/0.0 corps and alliances and various others and again as everyone will always say it's much more fun playing Eve with a group.

I've been considering starting up Got R0ot again for newbies but I just haven't had time at the moment maybe soon though. We are probably going to do an Irish roam or two with Dark Ireland back in game also as I want to here Ken say "Jump Laddies" one more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

This is my third time trying out EVE!

Started in 2008 and for 3 or 4 months sat in station and skill trained because I was playing WoW at the time. Trained for unbelievably random things for a new player but they certainly will come in handy now, have a couple of skills at level 5 (Min frigate & I think spaceship command) and had high enough weapon skills.

Resubbed in Jan for 3 months, started a new character to run some of the starter missions again and get a feel for the game. I then realised that my original character had all these amazing skills which I could benefit from and switched back. Trained myself up for some hauling, sitting in an Iteron Mark V, I joined E-UNI and sat wardecked for the bones of a month and jumped on an alt for a few simple missions. Eventually left the Uni after the 4th straight wardeck and my sub finished.

Third time is a charm! I resubbed over the weekend and jumped into a Thrasher for L1 missions. Have it setup with 5 guns & 2 salvagers. I have a Rifter which is comfortable for L1 missions as well but I wanted the option of salvaging as well without compromising my firepower. It's overkill and I am completely mincing L1 missions and pulling in some salvage as well as a side income. Ran a couple of courier missions as well as taking a few contracts. The ISK return for the contracts wasn't great (low capital for me to put down any deposit over 3m) but it was AFK money in high sec when I wasn't at the PC.

So yeah, for a "new" player would you have any recommendations? My current plan is:

- Keep going with L1 missions security to get used to basic PVE. I'm still learning, like yesterday I got completely locked out by being chain scrambled so couldn't lock a target. Had to back out and try pull smaller groups and hit them between being scrambled.
    - Get some ISK and do some more high sec hauling
    - Setup a jump clone or two tonight -- joined a free jump clone corp recommended on the forums.
    - Try to latch onto some mates doing higher missions and salvage for them

So Hauling and Salvaging with some basic security kill/salvage missions. I'm going to rejoin E-Uni as soon as I sort the jump clones out but if they keep getting war decked I will have to look elsewhere. I have no idea what to train for at the moment as well :)

Character name is deiseman (wish I could change it but happy to have the SP)

Uni shouldn't be getting as many decs now. With ccp approval they've two alt corps perma deccing them, makes extra decs waaaaay more expensive, to the tune of a half bill a week.

If you're joining the uni give me a bell and well go spelunking, you salvaging me dps. Great money in wormholes.

since you have min frigs 5 you might think about t2. Assault frigs are fun.

Yeah it was very frustrating to move from one war dec to the next to the next!! Glad something is being done about it.

Cheers for the offer, I might take you up on it in a week or so once I get my head back into the game a bit and get a dedicated salvaging setup. I think T2 is beyond me income wise, 100% would not be able to replace what I lose currently. I'm considering buying a PLEX and selling it just to give myself a kick up the arse income wise to get myself in gear :)

witless1 wrote: »
    Yeah it was very frustrating to move from one war dec to the next to the next!! Glad something is being done about it.

Cheers for the offer, I might take you up on it in a week or so once I get my head back into the game a bit and get a dedicated salvaging setup. I think T2 is beyond me income wise, 100% would not be able to replace what I lose currently. I'm considering buying a PLEX and selling it just to give myself a kick up the arse income wise to get myself in gear :)
    That's why I got interested in WHs. It's one of the few ways to pve during wartime. You can't mine roids or clouds in the wh, but you can run the combat sites and RADAR and gravis.
    Tbh, if you want to get invites to WH groups without either decent dps or covops, both of which are long enough trains, you should train decent salvage skills and invest in a noctis, and enough cloaking skill to fit prototype cloak, which is level 1 or 2, a lot lower than the t2 cloak.
    Salvaging in level 1s is... subpar, at best. Tbh you'd be better off concetrating on missioning your way up the standings, even if you get to l2, which is doable in a cruiser or AF, the salvage will be more worthwhile.

• Advertisement

Yeah I have my sights on a Noctis and should be in one in a while. When I started it was to play with a few mates and they advised me on skill paths, because I never really played I just trained and kept going with some skills to level V. One of the skills I did train to level V was Salvaging so I'm golden on that side of it :)

Just looking there my Level 5 skills are:
    - Electronics
    - Salvaging
    - Gunnery
    - Small projectile turret
    - Gallente Industrial
    - Minmatar Frigate
    - Spaceship Command

Just need to sit down now and plan out a proper salvaging skill plan for things like cloaking skill which I never considered.

That's a pretty solid base to work on. You should be able to train straight into cloaking with elec 5 already trained, and the proto cloaks only need an hour or few training.

You've also a nice base for pvp if that interests you, with projectile 5 that gives you access to t2 autocannons and frig 5 giving you AFs etc.

Yeah the guys I started the game with were rather experienced at the time and pointed me towards some of the skills below. The corp they were in was called "Salvage Junkies" if I remember correctly. To start me off they wanted me shadowing them on missions and salvaging but long term I did express an interest in PVP. So to get me into the PVP side of as well they were goign to run me as a jammer of some sorts before I got my core shooting skills up and running. Hence the somewhat weird mix of salvaging, electronics and gunnery skills :) The other skills I trained because I had them and they looked somewhat useful. What they didn't bank on was me completely not playing the game and just training. So here I am 3 years after the character was created with 6m+ skill points and a nice array of skills to keep me going.

I'm running a few L1 missions still in my Thrasher and salvaging as I go. Up to 10m and made some investment in drones for an alternative Destroyer. On the advice of a mate I am looking at a Caldari ship for a missile boat or a Gallante for drones. This is just to give me a few options for missions and to see different styles of fighting, Right now my experience is numbed somewhat by jumping in and two shotting most of the pirate ships because my Thasher is too powerful. No doubt the other ships are as powerful but at least I get to experiment with different styles without getting blown up :)

I should have the skills trained for all of them tomorrow and will start working on some for the Noctis setup I have in mind. I can hop in a Noctis at the moment but saving up to buy one, by the time that happens I should be a good deal more comfortable at flying and keep it for longer then a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Looking at starting the game after going through about 5-6 trial periods :D

Just a quick question: can you buy the game time cards in stores, like you do for WoW etc. ?

Jelle1880 wrote: »

Just a quick question: can you buy the game time cards in stores, like you do for WoW etc. ?
    Not that I know of. At least not in Irleand. You can either sub directly from the eveonline.com site, or buy a game time code from one of their resellers and redeem it in game. The game time codes can be sold to other players in game however, while the sub from the main site is just that, it only adds time to your account.
    witless1 wrote: »
    Yeah the guys I started the game with were rather experienced at the time and pointed me towards some of the skills below. The corp they were in was called "Salvage Junkies" if I remember correctly. To start me off they wanted me shadowing them on missions and salvaging but long term I did express an interest in PVP. So to get me into the PVP side of as well they were goign to run me as a jammer of some sorts before I got my core shooting skills up and running. Hence the somewhat weird mix of salvaging, electronics and gunnery skills :) The other skills I trained because I had them and they looked somewhat useful. What they didn't bank on was me completely not playing the game and just training. So here I am 3 years after the character was created with 6m+ skill points and a nice array of skills to keep me going.

I'm running a few L1 missions still in my Thrasher and salvaging as I go. Up to 10m and made some investment in drones for an alternative Destroyer. On the advice of a mate I am looking at a Caldari ship for a missile boat or a Gallante for drones. This is just to give me a few options for missions and to see different styles of fighting, Right now my experience is numbed somewhat by jumping in and two shotting most of the pirate ships because my Thasher is too powerful. No doubt the other ships are as powerful but at least I get to experiment with different styles without getting blown up :)

I should have the skills trained for all of them tomorrow and will start working on some for the Noctis setup I have in mind. I can hop in a Noctis at the moment but saving up to buy one, by the time that happens I should be a good deal more comfortable at flying and keep it for longer then a day.
    Yeah, the noctis is kind of fragile. Definitely not something you want to be losing on a regular basis :D

Jelle1880 wrote: »

As Nevore said you are looking at a credit card pretty much. I think I paid 70 euro or so for a 6 month sub to get me into it. Any member can offer you a 21 day free trial if you want another longer trial before committing. The benefit if you do sign up is the person who gives you the trial gets a months free time or a PLEX which can be sold for 400m or so. I'd happily give you the trial and half the ISK if you subbed, nice kick start for two new players to say the least :)

Sure, I'd need to set it up though (Read: I have to buy a LAN cable long enough since the wireless at the house is ****e :p ).

I'll let you know :)

Thanks witless1, I'm up and running ;)

One question though:

When I start the game and either alt-tab or quit my screen is dark, as if someone turned down the power settings of the laptop.
    I saw there's a patch to fix a black screen issue, is that what this is for ?
    This is where I found it:

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1072133

I've never had the issue you describe, alttabbing ow Windows key works fine for me. :-/

• Advertisement

No probs, happy flying :)

The only issue I have had since I started playing was random disconnects. Happened mostly when I jumped and happened a lot more when the game wasn't the main focus on the screen. Even happened a few times during missions which is very annoying. It was well documented though and 2 mini patches later I am still getting disconnects but very very rarely.

I haven't seen a black screen issue or any graphical problems when playing or alt tabbing to be honest. When I start the game the screen goes black and gives a flicker or two before the login screen appears. That's the only time and I presume that is normal for the game starting?

That link you posted btw is for 2009. Maybe turn down your video settings and bring them back up slowly to see if that resolves it? Failing that a good old driver update might do the trick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement