Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Scams?

Options
  • 29-12-2006 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭

Alright a little topic to see whats everyones opinion on them in Eve. So various scams happen everyday in the eve universe, so my question is do you agree with them as a whole, ethically or whatever. Post your opinions on it also please.

Just an example, the other week a member of xelas alliance who was part of the CSCS corp, off-lined a pos (player owned structure) in preparation for a celest/friends of celest attack on it. He then proceeded to steal as many ships from that pos and run them to core for sale or whatever. Now do you think this is something that should be allowed in game, and also do you think its right ethically.

I think it should be allowed but i definitely wouldn't do it myself as i came into the game greeted by various people and was never actually scammed so i couldn't do it myself without feeling guilty (i know its just a game, but i still wouldn't do it). :D

Whats your opinion on scams? 25 votes

I agree with them both game wise and ethically
    0% 0 votes
    I agree with them in game, but wouldn't do it myself
    32% 8 votes
    I disagree with them in game and ethically
    68% 17 votes
    I disagree with them in game but would do it myself given the chance
    0% 0 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Its legit, just not very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I thought this would be a thread on known scams as that would help a lot. My thoughts on it are this.

It is legit, it is not nice. If the person scammed has no way to protect themselves before the scam then it's an exploit.

As for scams, would be nice to have a list here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Hobbes wrote:
    I thought this would be a thread on known scams as that would help a lot. My thoughts on it are this.

It is legit, it is not nice. If the person scammed has no way to protect themselves before the scam then it's an exploit.

As for scams, would be nice to have a list here.

Ill get right on that list, think I have a few stories on the biggest scams in Eve so far also :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

I think it would be bad to stop all scams etc... One of the things I like most is the open-ended gameplay that you get with EvE

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

Guiding Hand Social Club FTW - Greatest Eve scammers.

I agree with in game scamming, if you don't wanna be scammed then be more careful. Its nasty yes, but the game is a simulation of human nature and how it can shape a futuristic universe, and betrayal and deceit are gonna happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

R0ot wrote:
    Ill get right on that list, think I have a few stories on the biggest scams in Eve so far also :D

You've had five days like, where are they?

Gonna have to step up to the plate if you're going to become mod R0oty boy.

kyp_durron wrote:
    You've had five days like, where are they?

Gonna have to step up to the plate if you're going to become mod R0oty boy.

Its called bar work and the christmas/new years eve season so stfu, im tired :D

Ok very quickly.

1. Contract Scams.
    - Putting 1 ore on the market then putting into the details a different number and putting a high price on it. Solution: check all contracts before buying.

- setting up a contract to send to a locked station (POS). Solution: always check destination of where you are delivering .

- Setting up contract impossible to complete. One such instance is getting someone to do insane number of jumps through low sec.

- Some contract deliveries are bugged.
    Some are unable to complete, I believe CCP are patching this.

- Setting up contract for ship but giving different description or selling only item markers to it (don't ask how, may be bannable now).

Summary: In general contracts are a scammers paradise.

2. Corp scams
    - Being invited to a corp which turns out to be 100% tax rate and you are stuck in it for 24 hours. This is more a rookie scam. Solution: Do not accept corp invites unless you know what you are doing.

- Corp theft. Bit obvious, work your way up a corp then loot it clean.

3. Gang Scams.
    Invite to a gang which in turn invites a warring members of their corp. The warring guys then warp to your location and destroy you and loot you.

4. Can Scams.
    - Dropping can with some loot in and then killing anyone who loots it.
    - Swapping out cans that belong to miners in case they are macro miners and doing the same (not really a scam)

prob many others. those are the most obvious.

With the new contract system I'd highly advise nobody to accept any 'FreeForm' contracts as they all appear to be scams in one way or form. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Scams are part of what makes eve a good game imho. The devs/mods don't bend over backwards to protect every player from other players if the player had a chance to protect themselves. Exploits should be sought out but scams should be 'encouraged'. :p

• Advertisement

nesf wrote:
    Scams are part of what makes eve a good game imho. The devs/mods don't bend over backwards to protect every player from other players if the player had a chance to protect themselves. Exploits should be sought out but scams should be 'encouraged'. :p

Tbh your right nesf, the great thing about eve is that its effectively player run enviorment, and just like the real world there are scammers and liers out there, the market value of things works on supply and demand. This is probably what has kept me into eve for more than a month :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

R0ot wrote:
    Tbh your right nesf, the great thing about eve is that its effectively player run enviorment, and just like the real world there are scammers and liers out there, the market value of things works on supply and demand. This is probably what has kept me into eve for more than a month :D

I'm not sure where this 'real world' argument comes from... If I gathered together a group of mates and hunted down some scum that had grabbed my mobile phone off the table in front of me and beat him to within an inch of his life it isn't quite the same as tackling ore thieves in-game... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

no, but you could do it....

tba wrote:
    no, but you could do it....

Not if the guy is in 1.0 space. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Hobbes....dropping cans and shooting people who take stuff is not a scam.

Scams mislead people, taking stuff from a can generally gives you a warning, and if you choose to stop that message from showing its your own stupidity that gets you shot, well that and the guy who shoots you.

Not talking about you specifically, just in general.

Froot wrote:
    Hobbes....dropping cans and shooting people who take stuff is not a scam.

Scams mislead people, taking stuff from a can generally gives you a warning, and if you choose to stop that message from showing its your own stupidity that gets you shot, well that and the guy who shoots you.

Not talking about you specifically, just in general.

Most of the stuff gives you a warning. For example buying 1 zydrine on Contract will bring a pop-up warning you of that fact.

Can aggro was put in game to stop people stealing cans without any comeback. If it was any other game (like UO for example) can fishing would get you banned for exploiting. As exploiting is useing the game system not how it was intended.

However in Eve it is treated as a scam, or rather "An inventive use of the game mechanics".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

This link provided one of THE BEST scams i've heard of in a game, let alone in eve itself. I read it right through to the end , laughed and cringed at some of the things in it, but it's one hell of a true story. Not sure if you've read it before, but i found the link on a WoW forum of all things so enjoy !!

"The Scam"

I read that nightfreeze one again and it doesn't seem to be consistent with how Eve actually works. There is probably a lot of creative license in it.

This one was much bigger btw.
    http://mmorpg.qj.net/Biggest-scam-in-EVE-Online-history/pg/49/aid/62826

Then there is this one. Not a scam but still fun to read.
    http://www.mmodig.com/?p=155

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

the night freeze one was back before even exodus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

Ship BPC's must be the worst of all the scam's the amount of BPC's being sold on the market with ML=50 etc... and when you check the general info you see good 'ol ML=0

I hope my corp gets a POS up soon so I can buy a research lab =) or I might join a corp with 0.0 access.

• Advertisement

Advertisement