Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to delete another users folder

• 29-12-2006 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

I have a hard drive which is almost empty. it has some boot files (like boot.ini etc) which are needed because it's my boot drive, but the OS is on another drive.

The original drive also has some leftover rubbish in another users folder (well the other user is actually me with another name). i.e. C:\my documents\olduser\blah. I want to clear all this rubbish out to free up space. but I don't own the folder (even though I am an admin) and clearing it out by taking ownership of each subdirectory in turn is a pain.

is there an easier way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

If you take ownership of the parent folder, you should be able to automatically propegate the privlidges to subfolders.

Failing this, get a copy of knoppix and delete the folders with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Soupercomputer, thanks : I tried the first method and it didn't seem to propagate the permissions down (maybe I'm doing something wrong).

Can knoppix edit NTFS-formatted drives?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you can use qtparted to resize or delete the entire NTFS partition

you can use cacls at the dos prompt to take control of the files
    can't remember the synthax off hand

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/cacls.mspx

cd documents and settings
    cacls usersfolder\*.* /c /t /e /g %username%:F

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Through the GUI, where you edit the NTFS permissions (Security tab), click 'Advanced', then tick 'Replace permissions on child entries blah blah'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cake Fiend wrote:
    Through the GUI, where you edit the NTFS permissions (Security tab), click 'Advanced', then tick 'Replace permissions on child entries blah blah'.
    you may also have to take ownership first

• Advertisement
Advertisement