Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctorate

Options
  • 29-12-2006 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

New year and new begining

I have primary degrees in Electronics and Business, as well as an Honours Masters in Science in Education. Im tying with the idea of doing a Doctorate and looking for some advise.

1. Can anyone recommend a good way of doing it parttime, im working in full time education, and not prepared to take time off.
    2. Has anyone else gone this route?
    3. Can anyone recommend a good college?
    4. Are their grants available? does one have to apply to indivudal companies for sponsorship?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Enright wrote:
    New year and new begining

I have primary degrees in Electronics and Business, as well as an Honours Masters in Science in Education. Im tying with the idea of doing a Doctorate and looking for some advise.

1. Can anyone recommend a good way of doing it parttime, im working in full time education, and not prepared to take time off.
    2. Has anyone else gone this route?
    3. Can anyone recommend a good college?
    4. Are their grants available? does one have to apply to indivudal companies for sponsorship?

Seeing as your Masters is in Education and you are working in that field, you may be interested in Trinity's Doc. Ed. DIT also do one in conjunction with Sheffield university, details here. Maynooth also do one, but I don't have a link to it.

I know of one or two lecturers doing similar doctorates, while working full time. The only thing about these type of doctorates is that there is a certain element of snobbery, essentially that they are not "pure" PhD's.

I have contributed to a number of threads on this topic before, do a search, there's plenty of opinions around.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

thanks for the info Tom, will check it out

anyone got info re grants?
    isnt the government supposed to be interested in upskilling, did they launch a scheme to assist people in doing this?

Advertisement