Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question(s) about RAM

Options
  • 29-12-2006 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have a DFI LANPARTY UT 915P-T12 MoBo and I am thinking of upgrading my RAM to DDR2 soon (currently have 2 x 512Mb CORSAIR XMS PC3200).

DFI states that this MoBo has "Two 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets that support DDR2 400 and DDR2 533 DIMMs". Now, I take it the DDR2 533 is the best I can have so where can I get such RAM? I would like to get CORSAIR RAM such as the one I currently have but I don't want to spend €500 EUR either if you see what I mean... In your opinion, where would be the best place to purchase DDR2 RAM?

Furthermore, something confuses me. DFI states that the MoBo I have "Supports 256Mb and 512Mb DRAM densities" but also states that it "Supports up to 2GB system memory". Isn't this contradictory? It only has 2 x DDR1 and 2 x DDR2 slots. If the maximum density is 512Mb then 512Mb x 2 = 1024Mb. So how can it support up to 2GB? Unless I fail to understand what "Supports 256Mb and 512Mb DRAM densities" actually means...

Thank you in advance for all your help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

It's possible that it supports 2GB of DDR ram..also it could mean at the time of board launch the maximum DDR2 memory module was 512mb.
    You could try the latest bios for this board and see what memory upgrades would now be supported for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

You could try the latest bios for this board and see what memory upgrades would now be supported for it.
    Funny you should say this Mathew! I actually flashed my MoBo last night with the latest BIOS! However, I checked the description of all the different updates and none mention RAM issues/fixes/upgrades...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I think I found something on Komplett!

How about this? It's DDR2 Corsair XMS2 Pro Xtreme Performance TwinX Matched Memory (533MHz - PC2-4300).

That looks about right! However, I don't get the "PC2-4300" bit... I checked the manual for my MoBo and it doesn't say what "PC" it can handle... Or should I just focus on the "533MHz"?

God I'm such a PC n00b... :o

Advertisement