Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another newbie question - sorry..

Options
  • 29-12-2006 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

I'm going to buy the Alesis IO2 for interfacing my guitar/mic to the pc. It comes with Cubase SE, and have been advised it's good to start out with at least.

I'd like to know, what's the best way for playing along with tunes and recording myself.

So, say I have a music cd and I want to load it onto the pc, take out the guitar from the track and play that bit myself and record it...

I know this is a basic question, but I'm just getting started.

Appreciate your help.....(and yes, I'm also googling away to try and find the answers, just not sure what to look for).

Thanks,

D>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

You can't do what you want to do. You can load any wav or mp 3 into the Cubase SE sequencer and it'll play; but you can't disassemble a commercial CD after it has been mixed down.

What you want to do could be accomplished the old fashioned way; you can put together a very workable drums and bass track with free drum loops and some free midi synths...if that last sentence was lost on you, let me know and I'll explain it all in detail.

Don't limit yourself to playing over other peoples songs; you can accomplish alot with interfaces like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

You could try cutting frequencies to remove the guitar, although you won't completely remove it, and it'll effect the sound of the rest of the recording. But it might be workable, it depends on the song.

You didn't say what kinda stuff you were into, but if you listen to some early recordings by the likes of the Beatles, David Bowie etc, you'll often find the drums are completely panned to the left or right, you might get lucky and find the guitar are panned opposite, so you can issolate the drums and possibly bass. But that's not gonna help if you're into more modern stuff.

I'd suggest doing what TelePaul suggested, put together your own MIDI tracks. Better still, search for MIDI backings of the song you want to do. Also keep an eye on guitar magazines which as you probably know yourself always have a few covers with backing tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

Thanks for the replies guys...

Creating from scratch is definetly something I want to do (as you mentioned TelePaul) and am looking forward to getting to know the ins/outs of Cubase.

Also, playing along to MIDI backings sounds good too - I play at family/friends parties etc and would love to be able to fire a cd into the stereo, plug the guitar into the amp and play along (popular, well known songs, Beatles, Clapton, sing-along stuff)
    D.

Advertisement