Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will the VRT calculator change in 2007?

Options
  • 29-12-2006 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Im in the process of buying a motor in the UK and am wondering will the revenue change the VRT payable on the frst day of 2007, or does it take a few weeks for them to update their site. I have noiced that the VRT payable is the same for the entire year range, eg. car registered in Jan has the same VRT as the same car if it was registered in DEC. Any ideas?

X.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

It normally goes offline for a couple of days in the new year whilst they pull the figures randomly out of a big tombola...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Yeah, id love to see their calculation methods!!.

So do you think i will gat a different VRT calculation in the new year?

X.

The figures usually go down at the start of the new year (they did last year for my old BMW). Take a screen-print of what it is now then enter the details next week, it may have dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

When the civil servants go back to work after their extended Xmas break (and I know, I used be a civil servant!), they will be adjusted. Generally down.

But if they had cars under-valued they can correct them. Civic VTIs all went up last January. A '00 would have cost ~1500 VRT in Dec 05, and in Jan 06 the VRT went up to ~2800.

JHMEG wrote:
    When the civil servants go back to work after their extended Xmas break (and I know, I used be a civil servant!), they will be adjusted. Generally down.

But if they had cars under-valued they can correct them. Civic VTIs all went up last January. A '00 would have cost ~1500 VRT in Dec 05, and in Jan 06 the VRT went up to ~2800.

JHMEG,

Any idea when the xmas break ends for Civil Servants? Are the adjustments likely to be made straight away, or does it take a few weeks? How do you think the VRT on a '02 BMW 318 CI will go?

X.

• Advertisement

I have just checked the VRT quote today and it has dropped by 300 quid - I wonder if that is my lot.

X.

They've definitely dropped - the site has gone offline in the past before this has happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Do car automatically get cheaper if there is a new calender year?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do car automatically get cheaper if there is a new calender year?
    By and large, the OMSP would go down as the car is a year older. However, with some high demand cars (BMW E30 325is) where demand is constant, the revenue are unlikely to drop the VRT amount simply due to the New Year.

It looks like it was automated, i doubt they are back in work today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'd love to hack into their website and down scale the current market value of a 2006 M5 to about 8k euros, that would be 2k euros VRT to pay, that would be some story.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Just checked two cars that I knew values for last month, a ´03 Zafira has gone down just over €200 and a ´04 Passat TDi Sport has gone down about €500.
    A workmate has been holding out the last 3 months on getting the Passat VRT'd, he was expecting it should have dropped nearly €1000 going on last years figures, guess he won't be too impressed. But then he should be happy customs haven't had the car off him!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

junkyard wrote:
    I'd love to hack into their website and down scale the current market value of a 2006 M5 to about 8k euros, that would be 2k euros VRT to pay, that would be some story.:D
    Not really - the online calculator is only for indicative use and the figures generated are not used by the office.

Not really - the online calculator is only for indicative use and the figures generated are not used by the office
    Not entirely true - I went in with the quote printed off the site and showed it to the girl I dealt with and was charged exactly that. I know of someone else who did exactly the same thing and was charged the printout price. This was Santry, but I suppose it varies from office to office...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Gatster wrote:
    Not entirely true - I went in with the quote printed off the site and showed it to the girl I dealt with and was charged exactly that. I know of someone else who did exactly the same thing and was charged the printout price. This was Santry, but I suppose it varies from office to office...
    so I suppose the best thing to do is see what they quote you over the counter, if its less, keep the trap shut, if its more, produce the printout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

What about <ahem>doctoring your printout a bit... Not advising anyone try this of course

I printed out the quote that morning, so there was no need to, ahem, doctor the printout...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

kbannon wrote:
    Not really - the online calculator is only for indicative use and the figures generated are not used by the office.

i've been in in thurles and they used the same website to calculate the vrt as everyone else uses.

yer wans screen was facing out at an angle so i could see it.

Advertisement