Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

temporary foreign license -> irish license?

Options
  • 29-12-2006 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I have a temporary Finnish driving license and was wondering if it is possible to switch this to Irish one as mine is expiring early next year. My current license if otherwise as good as full, but it is expiring earlier (2 years from when I got it) so it's not limited in any way. I also have lorry (C) license.

If it is not possible to switch this, do I need to take many driving lessons and tests to get Irish license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I am not sure what you nean by your licence being temporary. If it is a full Finnish licence you are entitled to swap it for a full Irish one. See here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 vimak

MrPudding wrote:
    I am not sure what you nean by your licence being temporary. If it is a full Finnish licence you are entitled to swap it for a full Irish one. See here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit

MrP

I haven't done a one driving test that needs to be done after 6 months of getting the license, and because of that my license expires after 2 years. Otherwise it is "full", it doesn't have any limitations like where or when I can drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

vimak wrote:
    I haven't done a one driving test that needs to be done after 6 months of getting the license

I guess that prevents your license from being considered a "full" EU license. Any full EU license can be swapped for any other one should one move residence

So you can either:

1. Pass the test in Finland and convert your then full Finnish license to a full Irish license
    2. Apply for a provisional Irish license - you can drive straight away, pass your test in Ireland (waiting time typically a year after applying for the test) and get a full Irish license

I'm impressed - an official Finnish government site in English:
    Before a permanent car driving licence can be obtained, holders of short-term driving licences must complete the further driver training provided by law. This can be done no sooner than six months after obtaining a short-term driving licence. The certificate for this further training must be submitted to the police.

The police will then issue a permanent driving licence, but no earlier than six months before the expiry of the short-term licence.

The short-term driving licence must be surrendered to the police in exchange for the permanent driving licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 vimak

unkel wrote:
    I guess that prevents your license from being considered a "full" EU license. Any full EU license can be swapped for any other one should one move residence

So you can either:

1. Pass the test in Finland and convert your then full Finnish license to a full Irish license
    2. Apply for a provisional Irish license - you can drive straight away, pass your test in Ireland (waiting time typically a year after applying for the test) and get a full Irish license

I'm impressed - an official Finnish government site in English:

Oh there's so long waiting time for the test :eek: My license expires in February so I guess the best choice is to get a cheap Ryanair flight to Finland and drive it there.

(OT, what did you think, I think every official page is also available in swedish and english ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

vimak wrote:
    My license expires in February so I guess the best choice is to get a cheap Ryanair flight to Finland and drive it there

Sounds like a plan
    vimak wrote:
    I think every official page is also available in swedish and english ;)

Well Swedish is the second official language isn't it? It would be great if all EU countries had all government sites in English too, but propose this and the French would eat you alive :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement