Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurogamer's top 50 games of 2006

Options
  • 29-12-2006 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭

A few decent games ranked strangely low but all in all it was spot on. I think they just took the average of 5 or 6 peoples lists. It was good that they didn't get caught up in the hype and give gears of war the number 1 spot and theirs reasons for doing so were quite valid.

http://www.eurogamer.net/index.php

Oh and guitar hero was number 1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Glad to see its GH, and not GH2. God there were alot of crap songs in GH2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't think Guitar Hero should have placed as high as it did. It smacks of Eurogamer being controversial again for the sake of contraversy. Otherwise it just goes to show what a great year for gaming it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

It wouldn't be first on my list but I wouldn't call it controversial, it's pretty much universally liked.

If anything they shied away from the obvious candidates like Gears, Zelda and FFXII because of the ridiculous amount of fanboyism on all sides when it comes to different console manufacturers flagship titles recently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gears of War seemed to get a lot of flak for something so high in the rankings. Have to admit I'm not impressed either. It may be beautiful but its very shallow and gets boring after about 2 hours consistent play.

FFXII on the other hand is awful. Don't see how it ranked so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Retr0gamer wrote:
    FFXII on the other hand is awful. Don't see how it ranked so high.

That's the first negative comment I've seen for FFXII. Even Edge were full of praise for it, I'm hoping it's a return to form after the dross they pumped out on the PS2.

As for GOTY, anything other than Oblivion on the 360 is just wrong.

• Advertisement

I stuck 20 hours into it and it just wasn't going anywhere. The battle system is basically diablo and feels like a huge step backwards from the turn based system of FFX. the story was decent but when the game started forcing you to level up I realised I had Dragon Quest VIII still to finish and a host of better games. Also don't be expecting an FF game. It has nothing in common with FF except moogles and chocobos. It's something completely different. Hopefully Blue Dragon sets things straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Guitar Hero as the best computer game of 2006??

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I've only played 5 out of their top 50 of the year :(

It's not been a good year for gaming down my way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Where was Shadow of the colossus?

Crucifix wrote:
    Where was Shadow of the colossus?

Because for some reason Eurogamer take the game's US release date as criteria, it was in last year's list. I think it came in second or third.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

13 out of 50

SOTC was year.

Company of heroes at 4somfin is wrong.

kdjac

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I didnt like their top 50 games.. half of them i never heard of and surely gears of War, rainbow six:Vegas shud have goten higher and guitar heros at no1! makes no sense at all....FF12 shouldnt be in the list as its not released here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Gonzo wrote:
    FF12 shouldnt be in the list as its not released here yet.

That kind of irked me alright. It seems alot of the time that they review a game when it gets released in America. This is probably to keep up with the likes of Gamespot, IGN etc., so they don't fall behind and become an irrelevant site. But it seems that they take any game they've reviewed this year as having been released this year, which is hardly accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I have played 3 or 4 that includes the 2 that I own:eek: .

Actually where is Pro evo 6,

Of their top ten I've played Guitar Hero, I thought it was ok but I know a lot of people who are really obsessed with it.

Own Oblivion, loved it at first but there came a point after about 30 hours where I realised yes, I do have lots of freedom but no, none of the things I'm free to do are very interesting.

Played Dead Rising, wasn't that gone on it, loved the premise but the controls sucked and made the gameplay super repetitive.

Played Lego Star Wars 2, always fun for a quick blast though I was never as fond of it as everyone else seems to be.

Played Wii Sports, fantastic fun as long as you're doing multiplayer.

And tried to play Brain Training, only to have it not recognise my hand writing when I tried over and over again to draw a 2 (seriously, it was the game that had the problem not me), so I quickly gave up.

So yea, none of them really super-fantastic in my view. I've been thinking, since SotC doesn't count by their rules, I'd probably give my number 1 to Loco Roco this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I've played 3 and have 2 others from the top 10 sitting in "I'll play them when I get a chance" pile

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Was LocoRoco in the top 50? I dont recall seeing it but it was in one of the small pictures for one of the ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Was LocoRoco in the top 50? I dont recall seeing it but it was in one of the small pictures for one of the ranges.

It was number 17 which for me was about right. I thought it was good but a bit repetitive. After the first few levels I just wanted to get it over and done with. COuld have done with a few more enemies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Can't say I'm impressed with the site. With the exception of Dawn of War/Dark Crusade, not a single game that I've purchased in the last year is as much as reviewed, and I've bought some respected games.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Wow, Kieron Gillen's "they still make x games? how quaint" crap is really, really annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭BKtje

company of heroes really should have been much much higher with some awful ganes (imo ofc) coming high in the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

B-K-DzR wrote:
    company of heroes really should have been much much higher with some awful ganes (imo ofc) coming high in the charts.

I'll second that. I actually thought that the readers voted because for most of the top ten most of the comments were "God how did this get in here".... I was thinking the same. I mean did any of them really like GOW???

Wii sports is a good game but is it really top ten of 2006? (Rayman is a better game for the wii imo)
    Guitar Hero is surprisingly addictive (I bought it for my brother for xmas thinking I'd never be interested in it..... I was wrong)
    Zelda - only 4 hours into it at the minute and it's fantastic.... possibly the only wii game that should be in there.
    Lego Star Wars 2 - got it on the psp and it's brilliant, easy, cute and at times hillarious
    COH - brilliant!

My top 3 games that I've played would have to be

1. Zelda
    2. PES 6
    3. Splinter Cell Rogue Agent

I don't get to play that many games :(

Stephen wrote:
    Wow, Kieron Gillen's "they still make x games? how quaint" crap is really, really annoying.

I've always found him to be an awful writer with an irrational hatred of japanese and console games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Eurogamer ? Is this a Transition year school project or something ?

- The judging panel in "You're a Star" have more credibility than these fools, I've seen better critical commentry daubed on toilet walls :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Stephen wrote:

Yeah, I'd like to comment on their choices but after seeing him write that for the fifth time I got bored and went elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Eurogamer still make top 50 game lists? how quaint!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

steviec wrote:
    Because for some reason Eurogamer take the game's US release date as criteria, it was in last year's list. I think it came in second or third.
    For the record, Guitar Hero 1 got its US release in November of last year. I don't think there's any rhyme or reason behind their choice of what made this year's list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Stephen wrote:

Heh heh... looks like I wasn't the only one who found that line useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

They asked us to pick our top 5. mine were

Oblivion
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Zelda
    Gears of war
    Splinter cell (for multiplayer alone)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Mine:

1. Zelda
    2. PES 6