Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am a student, can i get rent relief?

Options
  • 29-12-2006 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Myself and 3 friends are living in a house in dublin. We are paying €1600 altogether on rent. Is it possible for us to get rent relief. when paying the rent we pay the landlord directly and we do not recieve any receipts. There is no leeting agency involved with the house.
    Thanks For your help in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Rent relief is relief on Tax. Do you pay tax? That should answer our question.

You need the Landlord's PPS number.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

testicle wrote:
    You need the Landlord's PPS number.
    If the landlord won't give this to you send it off to the revenue anyway with whatever details you have, they'll happily accept it and give you the tax relief. They'll find out who the non tax-paying landlord is in their own time.

Even better, if you ask him for his number and says no he may offer you a "deal" not to send the form into the revenue. Take his deal and then send the form in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you pay tax, then you can get the relief. It's very easy to apply for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭pFd

Thats a problem, i havnt a clue whether we pay tax or not? He never mentioned anything about tax so im assuming we arent. Does a landlord lose any money when we aplly for rent relief? I dont want him getting angry at us!! Best to keep on the rite side of the boss, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

What posters mean about paying tax is that you have to be earning a taxable income to claim rent relief. If you don't pay tax on your income then you don't get rent relief.

• Advertisement
Advertisement