Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Prices & Other Issues

Options
  • 29-12-2006 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

For the last while, I've been increasingly annoyed by the dual-pricing policy of many stores, including Heatons and Dunnes. We don't use Sterling, and (on the off-chance that it is for the benefit of tourists in this new euro-and-Sterling based Europe, there are just as many if not more U.S. tourists, so why not show the dollar price too?

Oddly enough, it's the Irish stores that are the worst culprits, since the UK stores such as PC World, etc don't do it.

Last straw, though, was when I returned something to TK-Maxx yesterday.....they had a gift section which included, of all things, a UK coin sorter

Apart from the obvious stupidity of taking up stock and shelf space with a product that's completely useless to any potential customers, does it mean that all stock is reflecting UK tastes and styles ? I know there are similarities in the market, but shipping goods like this to an Irish store and stocking it is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a retail organisation for a long time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Aren't the stores you mention UK owned companies operating in Ireland? I'd imagine it's easier for them to have dual prices on their labels, all products assembled/labeled in a central area and then shipped out to all the various stores.

I noticed it recently in Roches Stores (now Debenhams)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Liam Byrne wrote:
    For the last while, I've been increasingly annoyed by the dual-pricing policy of many stores, including Heatons and Dunnes. We don't use Sterling, and (on the off-chance that it is for the benefit of tourists in this new euro-and-Sterling based Europe, there are just as many if not more U.S. tourists, so why not show the dollar price too?

Both operate in the north and south and therefore dual pricing makes a lot of sense.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

It's not so much the dual pricing that bothers me, it's when the prices are completely different to what the conversion rate is. I know that it costs money to transport goods to Ireland and that overheads may be higher here but really; if they're going to show dual prices then they should at least show the same *value*.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

daiixi wrote:
    It's not so much the dual pricing that bothers me, it's when the prices are completely different to what the conversion rate is. I know that it costs money to transport goods to Ireland and that overheads may be higher here but really; if they're going to show dual prices then they should at least show the same *value*.

You have to remember our VAT rates are different too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I agree that while I think it's shoddy and lazy (and occasionally confusing and somewhat insulting), to have the dual prices, these all imply some side benefits to the company; not least that the Sterling price makes items look cheaper.
    Aren't the stores you mention UK owned companies operating in Ireland? I'd imagine it's easier for them to have dual prices on their labels,
    I didn't think Dunnes Stores or Heatons were UK-owned, but then it was years before I realised that "HB" was part of Walls.....

And I doubt if the UK stores have euro prices on the labels "back home" ? Someone in the know might clarify this.....even if it is more excusable given the number of tourists going TO the UK from euro countries, I don't agree that it excuses them from doing things the easy way with dual prices in Ireland.....

But my main point was that selling a UK coin sorter in TK-Maxx at the Parkway Retail Park in Limerick City, Ireland was pathetic and shows new levels of shoddiness/laziness.......and it also makes me wonder about other products such as digital-ready TV sets with DTT or equivalent tuners, etc.....are these being fobbed on us just because its convenient, and will they be of any use ?

Will they even dictate the choice of platform for Irish digital TV, because the UK companies will already have sold so many here ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pythia wrote:
    You have to remember our VAT rates are different too.

Plus the stuff is probably labled a couple of weks before it hits shops so they'd have to allow for a bit of a conversion fluxuation.

I think it's just jealousy with some people in that they say " why should the british people pay less than us" , when in reality theres a lot of economic reasons for the differences. Plus if there wasnt a sterling price printed, people wouldnt care what they were paying (to a degree)
    Liam Byrne wrote:
    I agree that while I think it's shoddy and lazy (and occasionally confusing and somewhat insulting), to have the dual prices, these all imply some side benefits to the company; not least that the Sterling price makes items look cheaper.

I didn't think Dunnes Stores or Heatons were UK-owned, but then it was years before I realised that "HB" was part of Walls.....

And I doubt if the UK stores have euro prices on the labels "back home" ? Someone in the know might clarify this.....even if it is more excusable given the number of tourists going TO the UK from euro countries, I don't agree that it excuses them from doing things the easy way with dual prices in Ireland.....

But my main point was that selling a UK coin sorter in TK-Maxx at the Parkway Retail Park in Limerick City, Ireland was pathetic and shows new levels of shoddiness/laziness.......and it also makes me wonder about other products such as digital-ready TV sets with DTT or equivalent tuners, etc.....are these being fobbed on us just because its convenient, and will they be of any use ?

Will they even dictate the choice of platform for Irish digital TV, because the UK companies will already have sold so many here ?

A good few stores up north have dual pricing. Didnt pay attention in England.

Advertisement