Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony dominate again - 70% of Irish Xmas top 10

Options
  • 29-12-2006 6:56pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭

…And Nintendo beat Microsoft!

Here’s the main substance of the story, so this isn’t just an advert for Games Toaster…
    In the Irish multi-format games charts Sony’s PlayStation 2 and Portable secured over 70% of total sales of the games in the top 10 Christmas chart, and 80% of the top five titles.

The Christmas top are Need for Speed: Carbon (EA), Fifa 07 (EA), Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (Konami), WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2007 (THQ), and Call of Duty 3 (Activision).

Nintendo consoles combined – mainly handhelds – followed with 17% of the top 10. Microsoft’s Xbox 360 console only managed to take 6.9%, with a mere 0.3% extra from the original Xbox.

http://www.gamestoaster.com/games_toaster/2006/12/playstation_rul.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

no surprise really, i think everyone knows ireland is officially sony territory

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Ri_Nollaig wrote:

in other words... retarded! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Well the PS2 is still dominating Worldwide isn't it, not just Ireland? With an install base of over 100 million and by far the strongest games catalog of any system it's hardly a surprise.

PSP does seem relatively strong in Ireland though, at least from my own experience, I know about three times as many PSP owners as DS owners among my friends, but I moved to the UK for a masters and of the people I've met there practically everyone has a DS and I've yet to meet a single other PSP owner. Which is a pity because I miss Liberty City wireless play.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The Christmas top are Need for Speed: Carbon (EA), Fifa 07 (EA), Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (Konami), WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2007 (THQ), and Call of Duty 3 (Activision).

^^
    The above says it all about the irish gaming market in general.. shallow, casual, predictable, boring and thoughtless....

There are so many quality games on all systems that dont come near the top 10. Hopefully 2006 marks the end of sony's dominence in Ireland. I think 2007 could be the year of the 360 and Wii in Ireland as both of these systems bring about value, innovation and quality gaming that doesnt require a bank loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Roll on the Sony juggernaut! Honk, Honk!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

evad_lhorg wrote:

ROFL

You got here before I did! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

All I can say is: my sis is damn happy with her DS Lite -- and my parents want one for themselves now, too! :p
    Why are the PS2 & PSP sales not seperated, though? Such a strange decision.
    Hmm... also, do they represent "sold" or "shipped" numbers?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭cmdrpaddy

Gonzo wrote:
    ^^
    The above says it all about the irish gaming market in general.. shallow, casual, predictable, boring and thoughtless....

There are so many quality games on all systems that dont come near the top 10. Hopefully 2006 marks the end of sony's dominence in Ireland. I think 2007 could be the year of the 360 and Wii in Ireland as both of these systems bring about value, innovation and quality gaming that doesnt require a bank loan.

ahem... there is nothing shallow, casual, predictable, boring and thoughtless.... about Pro Evo 6, the greatest football simulation ever made!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ireland is officially the largest market outside japan for sony when it comes to playstations (according to edge magazine)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

admiralgar wrote:
    ireland is officially the largest market outside japan for sony when it comes to playstations (according to edge magazine)

I'd believe that as well. However, its surely only on a per capita basis. If we were truly Sony's 2nd most important market they would be rushing to get PS3s to us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I'd believe that as well. However, its surely only on a per capita basis. If we were truly Sony's 2nd most important market they would be rushing to get PS3s to us!
    Yes, it's per capita, and that statistic has been floating around since the PS1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Can't believe the 360 didn't do better... I thought the 360 was making headway into sony stronghold. I guess I was wrong... pity

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

When there are far more ps2 owners in Ireland than xbox, xbox360, GC, Wii or DS owners, how else is this supposed to break down?

Would like to see individual breakdowns by console, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

how the hardware sales go?

I thought the DS and Wii completely sold out over the run up to christmas.

If thats the case I'd expect a change (at least in the handhelds) in direction for some of the chart as more DS games sneak in.

dont know about the wii yet.
    Need for Speed: Carbon (EA), Fifa 07 (EA), Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (Konami), WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2007 (THQ), and Call of Duty 3 (Activision)

are they all the ps2 versions or is it all formats taken into account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

shallow, casual, predictable, boring and thoughtless....
    Its Christmas for pity's sakes, parents buying games for children. WTF are you expecting?

also why are they sticking them together as companies?

I'd be more interested in seeing how much of that 70% is actually PSP and not PS2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Id say there would be a lot of hardware sales for the 360 with that tesco deal on twice and all the deals in xtravision etc.
    I thought there was alot of interest in the 360 deals

Ach, let the masses play their EA/wrestling/WWII shmalz -- means more copies of good games lying around for me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

evad_lhorg wrote:

is it less retarded to buy need for speed on 360?

..didn't think so.
    Gonzo wrote:
    ^^

this reflects the worldwide market tbh. fact is, EA is making a mint on yearly updates, leaving quirky titles (eg. katamari) to be shoved to the rear of the charts.

as for sony's dominance in ireland. sony dominates worldwide. ireland does great figures for sony, but it's a small amount of the 120million odd ps2's in existence.

as for 360 and Wii... the 360 will do as well as it did last year (i.e. pretty average until the christmas time bundles, unless a severe price drop is introduced as i'd say everyone who really wanted one has one now), until halo3 of course. the Wii, i'm not so sure. apparently nintendo wont have a proper number in stores until february, a situation that we found ourselves in with the 360, and microsoft felt the effects of that.

thing is, while the ps3 is delayed, it's delayed for all of us, but having some of the market play with the Wii while the rest are forced to wait does nothing but force people away. why wait for a Wii when you can save up for a ps3 at launch, and pick up a Wii at christmas.
    shortys94 wrote:
    Id say there would be a lot of hardware sales for the 360 with that tesco deal on twice and all the deals in xtravision etc.
    I thought there was alot of interest in the 360 deals

there was. i work in xv, and for the year between launch and this christmas, i probably shifted about 5 350's (no... seriously). but as soon as these bundles arrived i'd shift about 5 every few hours. microsoft swung and missed their goal of 10million units this year, but they've got a solid install base to play with since the machine is now attractive for devs, since there's enough people there to actually warrant a profit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Why are the PS2 & PSP sales not seperated, though? Such a strange decision.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    also why are they sticking them together as companies?

That was my doing, to show Sony’s dominance. It was “the angle”, or focus, of the story.

I went over the top with the shear amount of numbers in my last story ( http://tinyurl.com/yybzx5 ) on this subject, so I was trying to somewhat avoid doing it again. But yes I should have had some PS2/PSP breakdown, so here…

flogen wrote:
    Would like to see individual breakdowns by console, though.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    I'd be more interested in seeing how much of that 70% is actually PSP and not PS2?

For the top five it's PS2/PSP – 62/20, 61/21, 68/19, 59/30, and 59/00.

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Hmm... also, do they represent "sold" or "shipped" numbers?? ;)

The charts system counts sales at the point of sale, not shipments.

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    are they all the ps2 versions or is it all formats taken into account?

The top five shown is all formats.

Anyway, I'm going on the piss, so good night, happy new year, and all the rest...

• Advertisement

cheers for that monument.

interesting numbers.

@monument:
    'kay! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    Then why are they making us wait so long for the PS3. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

de5p0i1er wrote:
    Then why are they making us wait so long for the PS3. :mad:

simply because we will...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

steviec wrote:
    Well the PS2 is still dominating Worldwide isn't it, not just Ireland? With an install base of over 100 million and by far the strongest games catalog of any system it's hardly a surprise.

PSP does seem relatively strong in Ireland though, at least from my own experience, I know about three times as many PSP owners as DS owners among my friends, but I moved to the UK for a masters and of the people I've met there practically everyone has a DS and I've yet to meet a single other PSP owner. Which is a pity because I miss Liberty City wireless play.
    no the ps2 is far from dominating worldwide
    in japan its either the 3rd most or 4th most sold every week
    after the ds and wii
    anyway the ds is selling 3 for every one psp sold in the UK im sure ireland can;t be that different

dissapointed by microsoft doing so poorly

steviec wrote:

1huge1 wrote:
    after the ds and wii
    anyway the ds is selling 3 for every one psp sold in the UK im sure ireland can;t be that different

He/We are talking about games sales, it looks like you're talking about hardware sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

1huge1 wrote:
    after the ds and wii

dissapointed by microsoft doing so poorly
    An awful lot of people I know or eard of got PSP's for christmas - Parents obviously go for the one they know will get a good reception - playstation.

It's unfortunate because my DS defineatley gets more time and I don't see that changing unless sony start releasing good quality pick up and play games on the memory sticks (I'm damn sick of the loading times)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

yeah my brother just sold his PSP because he said he wasn't playing it. Still loving my DS.

PS2 was obviously going to top game sales charts given it sold by far the most consoles this gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Sorry lads i jumped into this topic before reading it (I dont usually do that)
    I thought you were on about hardware but seeing as its software I guess it makes a lot more sense considering the amount of ps2's in this country but I would of thought there would be more ds's meaning more ds game's being sold...

• Advertisement

1huge1 wrote:
    but I would of thought there would be more ds's meaning more ds game's being sold...

Compared to the Xbox/360 the DS did quite well.

brim4brim wrote:
    PS2 was obviously going to top game sales charts given it sold by far the most consoles this gen.

Yeah, but few people in Ireland know that the Xbox and Xbox 360 have done as poorly as they have. Those who do were expecting a marked (or at least small) improvement.

Advertisement