Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to buy in 2007?

Options
  • 29-12-2006 10:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

What should all us hardware freaks be looking out for in 2007?, Quad Core...why not Octo Core? :D

Bearlake X and ICH9R?....how about DDR3 and PCI Express 2.0?, whats that you say?...8900GTX? :eek:

Come on you nerds, hit us with some up-and-cumming hardware ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

I have the following
    Akasa Eclipse Case
    700w Psu on the way
    no idea what i am going to fill it with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My only plans are to get a Dx10 card, overclock my 6400 and get a decent dedicated sound card instead of onboard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I'm probably going to wait for the prices to fall around February and nab a Core 2 E6700 & upgrade slowly the system as I cannot re-use my DDR RAM. My 7800GTX SLI will tide me over for some time to come.

DX10 card after that to see what ATI has up their sleeve & whether it will be able to counter the GeForce 8 parts, also means a new PSU most likely. I cant imagine you'll see an 8900GTX too soon at least not till mid year the R600 would have a tough time as it is going up against an 8800GX2 which is all NVIDIA have to do in the short term (if R600 is any sort of a threat).

DDR-3 won't be worth it the only sites buying into that are the clueless ones like the Inquirer yeah more bandwidth to win synthetic benchmarks!, DDR-2 bandwidth is barely used as it is.

PCI-Express 2.0 delivers more bandwidth & more power, while the bandwidth isn't going to be terribly useful the power will come in handy.

AMD will be late with K8L with socket confusion over AM2+ & AM3 while it will bring them back into the game I do not think it will be a death blow to the Core 2 line.

Supposedly AMD is also going to be canning the PR numbers so goodbye to 3800+, 5000+ etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Another 750GB Seagate to run them as a RAID1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

The Linksys NSLU2 [the 'Slug']. It's a file server to which a flash drive or hard drives can be connected. Lots of alternative firmware available also. It's a mini Linux device.

A remote for Media Centre would make things easier too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Probably wait for Tyan to release a dual socket 680i mobo and get another QX6700.

Also - trying to trackdown a Soldam Windy AlcadiaX3 case in Japan. Soldam are still going strong it seems.

Advertisement