Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WebServer Hosting and BT

Options
  • 29-12-2006 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I have a basic BT account, and am running Apache web server on my home network. It has a dynamic IP, but using ZoneEdit, and a domain name which I bought, I managed to get into the web server from the open internet.

However, this has stopped working (several months ago, this is all mostly playing around)

Is anyone else out there doing something like this? I am wondering if it is that something has changed on my side, or if BT have changed something so that I cant do this. Can they have blocked port 80, without messing up everything else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Slap on the wrist for running a web server on a residential broadband connection!

ISPs are known to check and see if their customers are running servers on their connections. You may get away with it if you change from port 80. I did this with my router and got a DynDNS account. Handy when I need to check logs or whatever.

Usually ISPs offer a static IP address for a few yoyo extra a month, which you don't need as you have already have a service for managing dynamic addresses.

I accept you may not even have that much traffic but fair usage and all that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

ethernet wrote:
    Slap on the wrist for running a web server on a residential broadband connection!

ISPs are known to check and see if their customers are running servers on their connections. You may get away with it if you change from port 80. I did this with my router and got a DynDNS account. Handy when I need to check logs or whatever.

Usually ISPs offer a static IP address for a few yoyo extra a month, which you don't need as you have already have a service for managing dynamic addresses.

I accept you may not even have that much traffic but fair usage and all that ...

Is there something sinister about running a webserver though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

exiztone wrote:
    Is there something sinister about running a webserver though?
    By no means [unless judging by content]. I don't blame anyone using a NAS device and running it as a publically-accessible [file] server for their own personal use.

Well, if you're running a webserver in this setup with thousands of hits a day on a contented connection, then that's simply in breach of the acceptable usage policy. That's hardly an issue for jhop:
    jhop wrote:
    ... this is all mostly playing around ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

ethernet wrote:
    Well, if you're running a webserver in this setup with thousands of hits a day on a contented connection, then that's simply in breach of the acceptable usage policy. That's hardly an issue for jhop:
    That's hardly fair though, provided you don't go over your caps

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

That's hardly fair though, provided you don't go over your caps

i think they specifically mention it though in their T&C's that running any kind of server from you connection isn't allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 jhop

Ok, So I have sorted it out, and it turns out it had nothing to do with BT :o
    It turns out that I didn't have the default gateway set to my router from my web server, so nothing got back out again.

opps!

Advertisement