Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Fabia

Options
  • 30-12-2006 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

im looking at getting a used car and came across a fabia, what are peoples views on the fabia are they reliable car? i know they have VW engine and are cheaper than vw polos. What would people recommend a Fabia, Polo or something else....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ipodrocker wrote:
    im looking at getting a used car and came across a fabia, what are peoples views on the fabia are they reliable car? i know they have VW engine and are cheaper than vw polos. What would people recommend a Fabia, Polo or something else....

The Fabia is based on the current Polo chassis. They were the first of the VAG group to use this chassis back in 2000 when the then Polo was much smaller on the inside. The Fabia has much more grown up feel about than the Polo or Ibiza.

The smallest engine initially available in the Fabia was a 1.4 litre. There were three versions of the engine available, a 65bhp MPi version which was just a bored out version of the old Felicia's 1.3 litre which was around prior to VAG ownership. There was also the 1.4 litre 75bhp version and very rare 1.4 litre 100bhp VAG units from the Polo and Golf. In 2003 the 1.2 litre three cylinder engine from the Polo and Ibiza was added. Only has about 55bhp so don't expect miracles on the road. It was a bit course and noisy but it does give good mpg, definately designed for city driving.

Spec varies. Try to avoid the basic Classic model as this doesn't even have power steering afaik. The best ones to go for are the Comfort or Elegance models. These will have remote central locking, electric windows/mirrors, twin air bags and a cd player.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I drive one and couldn't recommend them enough! They're cheap compared to the competition, have lots of interior space and are reliable. Admittedly the interior is a bit bland but feels very well screwed together. The handling is a bit soggy for my liking but is very comfortable and 70mph on the motorway is very relaxing. My only gripes so far is that the windscreen washer bottle is quite small (2ltrs) so I have to refill it every few days in winter and as I mentioned before it suffers from a lot of body roll (although I have an anti-roll bar ordered which should sort that out). Other than that, I can't think of a reason not to buy one.
    Oh yeh and as above....avoid the classic models, you're talking windy windows, tape player, manual mirrors, plastic body coloured mouldings, it will be a nightmare to sell on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

thanks fletch for the advise, i have heard alot things about the fabia (ALL GOOD!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Bazz, I thought there were two 1.2L 3Cyl engines availible.. A 12V 63Bhp DOHC and a 6V 54Bhp SOHC 3Cyl ?

Upon further research. Yes there is two 1.2L Engines availible. Obviously the 12V being that little bit better. I'd reccomend make sure you check the engine to see if its a 12V or the slower 6V engine before you purchase.

Bazz, another thing I noticed is that 1.4L 100BHP VAG unit, I presume that is the same unit used in the golf/leon with 75Bhp, running on a different ECU map? Why the hell didnt VAG give all the 1.4 units 100BHP.. It would make that sluggish 1.4 Golf / Leon, That little bit better. Even similar performance to their 1.6L Unit.

Hj

HungryJoey wrote:
    Bazz, I thought there were two 1.2L 3Cyl engines availible.. A 12V 63Bhp DOHC and a 6V 54Bhp SOHC 3Cyl ?

Upon further research. Yes there is two 1.2L Engines availible. Obviously the 12V being that little bit better. I'd reccomend make sure you check the engine to see if its a 12V or the slower 6V engine before you purchase.

Didn't know they had two different 1.2 litre engines also. Only 54bhp from a 1.2 litre is shocking. :eek:
    HungryJoey wrote:
    Bazz, another thing I noticed is that 1.4L 100BHP VAG unit, I presume that is the same unit used in the golf/leon with 75Bhp, running on a different ECU map? Why the hell didnt VAG give all the 1.4 units 100BHP.. It would make that sluggish 1.4 Golf / Leon, That little bit better. Even similar performance to their 1.6L Unit.

Hj

Yes, the mind wonders, I'm not sure if it is just an ECU remap though. It could be a completly different engine. But you are right it should have been standard in the other more expensive bigger models. I can only presume it is the old VAG philosophy that if you want something decent you have to pay extra for it.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    Didn't know they had two different 1.2 litre engines also. Only 54bhp from a 1.2 litre is shocking. :eek:

Yeah, Well with a figure of 19-Seconds to 60MPH and a 94MPH top speed on the 6V engine, I'm guessing it is also quite a slow car :rolleyes:. I have been in the 12V Fabia 1.2L, Its quite rough alright due to it being a 3CYL engine, But is quite pokey enough around streets and such, I'd imagine motorways you wouldn't want to be doing a whole lot of over taking in it. Just my guess anyway...

And as far as I can tell they are both the same engines ( 1.4L ) with just a different engine re-map. I should investigate this one a little further though. But that 100BHP would of made a world of difference in the Golf platform.

Hj

On the continent they do a 1.0ltr Fabia...now that must be one slow car :eek:
    Isn't the 75bhp 1.4 an 8valve engine whereas the 100bhp is a 16 valver? - My mistake! Thanks bazz26 for clearing that up.

fletch wrote:
    Isn't the 75bhp 1.4 an 8valve engine whereas the 100bhp is a 16 valver?

Nope both engines are 16 valve. The 75bhp version being the same motor found in the Polo, Ibiza, A2, Cordoba, Octavia, Bora, Golf and Leon.

Slightly off topic but here is the new Fabia which goes on sale in May:

[URL="javascript:self.close();"]car_photo_211380_5.jpg[/URL]
    [URL="javascript:self.close();"]car_photo_211383_5.jpg[/URL]

Should make the current model that bit cheaper if you can wait.

That new Model looks brutal IMO. Looks very korean & Cheap.

Hj

• Advertisement

HungryJoey wrote:
    That new Model looks brutal IMO. Looks very korean & Cheap.

Hj
    Its very Suzuki Swift crossed with a Kia Cee'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've a 05 1.4L TDi, fantastic little car, great fuel economy, no complaints at all.
    Last car was a 02 1.4L MPi (ie the old engine), extremely reliable and the Skoda dealership was extremely professional and pleasant to deal with for services etc..which is why I upgraded to the Diesal and bought it from them.
    Next car will be an 1.9L Octavia or a Fabia vRS, I've alot of faith in the brand.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Some more pics of the new Fabia
    dsc00634rl6.th.jpgdsc00632fg5.th.jpgdsc00630pp7.th.jpg
    source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I think your making a good choice with the Fabia

Mine's a 2001 Fabia comfort. Purchased it in februaru 2006 for €6500
    Its the Sedan version. And I couldnt be happier with it!

It ticks all the boxes we wanted in a car.

Reliability: have put 12000 miles on it in a year and just had to replace the light switch.... have never had a performance problem at all
    Space: Dublin airport... 4 adults, 3 suitcases, 2 bags - no problems
    Performance: 1.4l 16valve engine does 120kph @ 3200rpm... a-ok
    Looks: Compare it to a 01 vw gold/polo. The Fabia just looks better.
    Spec: Elec windows, P/S, airbags, cd-player/ elec wing mirrirs - grand

As a small family car it has few rivals I think
    (and i have driven, fiesta, punto, corolla, micra before this one)

Advertisement