Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can't upgrade to xp only 48mb ram

Options
  • 30-12-2006 1:11am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

I bought my pc in 1999 an ibm aptiva and seeing that microsoft won't support windows 98 after april or so, I would like to upgrade to xp or 2000 while I can online.

it meets all specifications but I have only 48mb ram and to upgrade, I need alot more 128-256mb..

can i add extra ram to my pc or should i bring the whole thing to a computer dealer and pay him to upgrade it????

Go easy on me I not genius on technical wording;)

an thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

Your easiest option would be to go to http://dell.ie and pick up a new system for €500. Other than that you will probably need to take the computer to a dealer unless you feel comfortable opening the case up yourself as well as learning a bit about your computer.

There are many different kinds of ram and you would need to know the type you actually need for your computer. http://www.crucial.com/ is a good place to check what you need. Fill in your computer type there and it will tell you what you need.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Thanks for that,

ya i opened it once to install extra usb ports 2.0 (was bit scary opening the bonnet):o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Use the Crucial link ai ing provided then just click on the EU flag to get Euro prices & you can buy direct from them to deliver to you.

You see the Crucial memory advisor tool just select IBM from there your model number and it will tell you what kind of RAM will work.

If you do not know the model number of the IBM system use the system scanner on the same main page of Crucials site.

If your system can support it try to get 512MB of RAM for XP to run smoothly, you can get OEM XP licenses cheap(ish) as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

think i would go with the dell option if i was you, fully legal and ready to run

but if your interested in learning more about computers, then go the upgrade roupt, it wont be much cheaper, you might do damage, wont be as good as a new pc, but thier is a bit of satisfaction about it, and you learn so much everytime you upgrade, you might get to love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055034130

Very similar thread here by same poster...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

artieanna wrote:
    I bought my pc in 1999 an ibm aptiva
    seriously, it lasted this long?

Don't worry about this 'not supporting windows 98', that doesn't mean all PCs with windows 98 are going to stop working, they just won't be releasing new drivers and patches for win '98.

If the PC still does what you want to do with it then keep using it until it doesn't.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

thanks guys for the help;)

i dunno i think i might keep my pc as it is cos seeing that its running sooo good but i will keep your advice at least i have an idea what i need to do if i decide to upgrade or if i need to!!!....

cheers and happy new year:p

Advertisement