Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate 'guitar-duos' in all Metal

• 30-12-2006 8:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey guys, I bet we all have several favourite heavy rock/metal bands with only a 'single' lead axeman unleashing his heroics for his band on record or out performing LIVE. I can tell you that Eddie Van Halen is forever my greatest 'lone-guitar' hero of all time. And then there are other lone rangers on guitar that I admire a whole lot.

However, for the serious and prolific listeners cum fans of Metal music, there's no escaping the reality that a mighty majority of the most successful, popular, respected, influential and admired Metal bands of the last two decades and more, have been driven by a dual-guitar offensive. So guys, I wonder which are your personal favourite 'guitar-duos' in all brands of Metal that you listen to and love. You can think of and name anywhere from two to ten duos that you consider your very own best.

Mine are: (in random order)

Kerry King/Jeff Hanneman (Slayer)
    Dave Mustaine/Chris Poland (Megadeth)
    Gary Holt/Rick Hunolt (Exodus)
    Alex Skolnick/Eric Peterson (Testament)
    Eric Meyer/Jim Durkin (Dark Angel)
    Terrance Hobbs/Doug Cerrito (Suffocation)
    Chuck Schuldiner/Paul Masvidal (Death)
    Phil Fasciana/Rob Barrett (Malevolent Creation)
    Trey Azagthoth/Richard Brunelle (Morbid Angel)
    Allen West/Trevor Peres (Obituary)

I wanna also point out that most 'duos' in Metal guitar are not perfectly matched in terms of playing abilities and actual performances on albums. Yet among the ten pairs I mentioned above, I mostly felt that the guys in each pair were superbly impressive with what each one did. So it's not really so much about which guy in a favourite pair is 'superior' but more about how the 'duo' pulled off their guitar wizardry as a team.

Think about it guys, and post your thoughts!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Glenn Tipton And KK Downing - Judas Priest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Kiko Loureiro & Rafael Bittencourt - Angra
    Herman Li & Sam Totman - Dragonforce
    Scott Gorham & Brian Robertson - Thin Lizzy
    Adrian Smith & Dave Murray - Iron Maiden
    Rodrigo y Gabriella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have to be The Priest really, with mention for Wishbone Ash (Andy Powell and Ted Turner).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

D.T. Jesus wrote:
    Glenn Tipton And KK Downing - Judas Priest

amen to that.

the Ram it down solo has as bout as much guitar as the human ear can withstand i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

Paul Masvidal & Jason Gobel - Cynic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Alucard II wrote:
    Paul Masvidal & Jason Gobel - Cynic

This man speaks the truth.

Also, honourable mention for Schuldiner/Rozz, hell of a combination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

fredrik thordendal and marten hagstrom (meshuggah)

mohammed suicmez and christian meunzner (necrophagist)

karl sanders and dallas toller wade (nile)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

There's hundreds of great guitar duos in metal who all do their own thing brilliantly, it's silly to pick favourites. I'm just happy to listen to any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

An obvious choice, but I've always liked how in Metallica Hetfield hammers out the heavy but precise riffs and Hammet lays the solos on top. A simple operation (in theory anyway) but an effective one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

There's hundreds of great guitar duos in metal who all do their own thing brilliantly, it's silly to pick favourites. I'm just happy to listen to any of them.

I knew you'd say something like that, you're so boring and predictable :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I knew you'd say something like that, you're so boring and predictable :p

Karl Hungus, so cynical you could set your watch by him. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

They all have lovely bottoms. /fr.ted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

judas101 wrote:
    amen to that.

the Ram it down solo has as bout as much guitar as the human ear can withstand i think

Thats a good one alright, love their live "duels" like the sentinel. Never heard Ram it down live though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Frederik Schällin and Andreas Allenmark from Anata get my vote.
    Check out Entropy Within for a good example.
    (Wait for the dual two handed tapping solo :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Hetfield & Hammet without a doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Charm Offensive

Rodrigo y Gabriella

Oh for god's sake.

For me, Brent Hinds and Bill Kelliher of Mastodon really tickle my fancy with their interweaving guitar stuff. Aside from them, I'm just gonna be really boring and say Hetfield & Hammet and Mustaine & Friedman. Oh, and those lunatics from Dragonforce, more for the comedy of it all than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

dunno about hetfield and hammet to be honest......

id have to go with king/hanneman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Den_M wrote:
    An obvious choice, but I've always liked how in Metallica Hetfield hammers out the heavy but precise riffs and Hammet lays the solos on top. A simple operation (in theory anyway) but an effective one.

I really dont want to start an arguement but I have to say I have heard maybe 4 or 5 Metallica songs in which the bass is audible. Bass is probably my favourite instrument but I just never see any reason to think Metallica had their bass plugged in.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In relation to the topic at hand:

For guitars in general (ie bass and normal) I would say Kyuss are worth a mention.

Also not really that metally but Days Of The New are amazing when it comes to acoustic guitars.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Froot wrote:
    I really dont want to start an arguement but I have to say I have heard maybe 4 or 5 Metallica songs in which the bass is audible

This is all about the guitars, I don't see what the lack of bass has to with anything that's being discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Den_M wrote:
    This is all about the guitars, I don't see what the lack of bass has to with anything that's being discussed.

I agree, so I made my point as well as contributing to the post.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

mark morton and willie adler

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Scott Gorham & Brian Robertson - Thin Lizzy

100% agree here.

Although im a big metallica fan, i disagree on the hetfield/hammett suggestions. Hetfield clearly dominates the guitar playing. listen to a live album and you will notice hetfield's guitar is slightly louder in volume, except with hammett is playing solos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

Frederik Schällin and Andreas Allenmark from Anata get my vote.
    Check out Entropy Within for a good example.
    (Wait for the dual two handed tapping solo :D)
    i should have seen that post coming :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

Robbo and Gorham, Lizzy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Eric Peterson / Alex Skolnick should get an honourable mention :D

Advertisement