Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting PS2 to work on Eircom

Options
  • 30-12-2006 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hi All

I want to hook my (slimline) PS2 to eircom broadband for gaming.

Can someone give me a really easy guide to do this please?

At the moment I'm as confused as a baby raccoon.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Just use a standard CAT5 patch lead and connect it up to one of the free ports.
    Thats it job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Might he not have to forward some ports too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Putting it in the Router DMZ is good. There are no zombie networks of PS2s. No port forwarding to setup. You can setup PS2 to use DHCP or Static IP (favorite for using DMZ) depending on how your Router is configured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

Do I need to change the broadband settings on the PC? I've tried connecting it to the ps2 and entering the address as the DNS server but it times out when I test the connection

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

you dont conenct your ps2 to your PC, connect both your PC and PS2 directly to seperate ports on your router, and make your PS2 a DMZ Host ( meaning all inbound conenctions are forwarded automatically to it unless overriden by some other firewall rule you input )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

make sense!

can I just connect the ps2 to the modem, without the pc on at all?

you can probably tell I'm not too savvy with these things

I thought you just plug the modem into the ps2 and you're away but obviously not that easy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

make sense!

can I just connect the ps2 to the modem, without the pc on at all?

you can probably tell I'm not too savvy with these things

I thought you just plug the modem into the ps2 and you're away but obviously not that easy

You should be able to connect it straight to the Eircom modem. However, probably the best way to do it is to buy a cheap multiport switch like this. It will allow you to have your PS2 and your PC connected to the internet at the same time. It will also have a few other ports available to connect up a few more computers [or other devices] if you want.

Advertisement