Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forecasts for Cold Snaps/Spells and Snowy Weather only.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Tristrame wrote:
    It's a cert for you artictree-a cert

If you get any decent stream of showers at all you could have at least 5 or 6 inches up there! (or more)

Ha - hopefully will!!

BTW - I've created an area on my website were I'll put up photos over the next few days:

http://www.arctictree.com/snow20012007

I took 2 at 12 but its hard to make out the snow on the mountain tops

A

Looking at that 06z run on netweather extra it has -9 and -10 850 air over Eastern Ireland on most of Tuesday with -11 850's flirting wexford later in the day,a minus 3 dewpoint and air temps of 1 to 3c
    Thats text book for january for snow :) should the run prove accurate.

It's snow risk for monday to thursday peppers the East with snow.

ARTIC TREE READ YOUR PM's PLEASE!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Any thoughts people on Nth County Dublin and if I might see some snow? I'm in Lusk which seems to do badly for snow - too near the coast? Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

sleet shower in mullingar, hail in malin head where it is only 2 degrees. why did met eireann forecast todays temps of 5-8c?
    http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

Those forecasted for today would be average temps.
    It's not unusual for a hail shower to drag a temp down from 5 or6 to 2 or 3c

• Advertisement

Have a look at this from the UKMO:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/charts/FSXX00T_48.jpg

Is that low going to track down the Irish Sea? Feck!

Shades of Feb/Mar 2001 except colder??

A

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

looks so artictree and in a reliable timeframe,i think it be safe to say you should dust off the ruler to measure the snow depths

Use this thread to post on forecasts from any Met Organisation and models GFS ECM etc on the possibility of snow from more than one day out and beyond.

Post on snow events that are presently happening or are certain to happen in this country within 24hr peroid [thread=2055023550]here[/thread]

This is to seperate a forecast for snow and an imminent type snow event.

Continue here

Lol the 12 z has it snowing in the East all day tuesday and into wenesday with the snow continuing in the south east right up to wenesday evening :D

• Advertisement

heh -10 mostly but sometimes -9 850 air over most of Eastern Ireland right through to thursday and hanging on to Rosslare before retreating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

You sound slighty excited Tristrame....are you ramping? :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

You sound slighty excited Tristrame....are you ramping? :D:p

Lol, I get the same impression too!!

And why not, its been a looooooooong time since a cold spell like this was forecast well in advance and actually got better and better right up to the event?
    I know if we get blizzards I'll be a very happy chappie !

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A mixture of rain and sleet here for the last two hours. I don't think any snow will fall untill later on tonight or early tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ryanoneill2006

Hey Guys,

Just joined this discussion.. Very informative! I'm living in Shankill in Co. Dublin. It's just north of Bray and right on the coast. Its a long time since we have had lying snow here. I do remember a few occasions in the late 80s and early nineties where we had a few days of lying snow... Any chance of that over the next few days???

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

Welcome friend:D im new enough here myself, it looks like we will have plenty of snow in the coming days.Im no expert though, but try weatherchecks link you'll find alot of info there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its been raining really heavy for past 2 hours here, our lil road is half flooded, wud be great if it snowed in this volume later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Looks good but I don't think anything is certain yet and tbh from my limited experience these events normally are very hit and miss, e.g. in the pictures thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2432145&postcount=37) you will see I got a nice covering of Snow in February 2005 yet 6 miles West of me there was nothing, now if the right setup comes i.e. a E/NE wind pushing PPN in from the Irish sea then perhaps we will see snow, but I'm not at all convinced I'm just not sure the temps will go low enough especially the dew points, but perhaps this is only a warm up (excuse the pun) for the cold to come in Late January early February.

gonzo, did you hear the thunder? torrential rain here for past 2 hours, flash flooding and all, that is the first thunder and lightning i have experienced since last summer! this really is exciting weather:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yeah I heard one crack of thunder, but from the look of things there looks like as in nearly an inch of rain has fallen so far.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

The 6.01 waether seemed a bit of a backtrack from this morning, less mention of snow tonight - or did I imagine that this morning? :confused:

btw, i am starting to see some wet sleet mixing with the rain at times now, temp has dropped to between 2.5 and 3degrees

Temp has fallen 2c in 10mins and rain has now got sleet mixed in.Temp is still falling 4.2.

hopefully it'll fall some more then we get snow but im not sure it wud stick there is so much surface water around

Mad - its all missing Wicklow!!

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Dry as a bone where I am!

You can see the importance of a bit of luck!

A

Maybe WC, Tristrame, Darkman or Snowbie can answer this or anyone else with some good knowledge and memory, is the setup for this cold spell very simalar to February 2005 when I saw snow? just looks simalar to me, which basically meant it was really only cold enough for snow at night, with thawing during the day and the showers were very hit and miss or maybe I'll totally wrong?

looks like there is a big clearance coming, see hardly any rain over north connaught and ulster.

The airflow is colder this time,its an artic northerly that is veering North easterly so it should have more precipitation especially travelling over a warmer sea.

You might well see a fair dump from this in Tullow especially heading into tuesday-but I'd rather not jinx it.

It's a might,the ingredients are there but whether they will deliver is the 64K.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

arctictree wrote:
    Mad - its all missing Wicklow!!

Dry as a bone where I am!

You can see the importance of a bit of luck!

A

I don't see how this latest wave of showers moving onto the west coast will miss us, might finally get something in the way of showers

• Advertisement

Cheers Tristrame, so as always with this type of snow/cold spell its pretty much a nowcast situation I take it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement