Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forecasts for Cold Snaps/Spells and Snowy Weather only.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

irish1 wrote:
    Maybe WC, Tristrame, Darkman or Snowbie can answer this or anyone else with some good knowledge and memory, is the setup for this cold spell very simalar to February 2005 when I saw snow? just looks simalar to me, which basically meant it was really only cold enough for snow at night, with thawing during the day and the showers were very hit and miss or maybe I'll totally wrong?

In Feb the sun would have been alot higher and stronger, thus melting snow.

trogdor wrote:
    I don't see how this latest wave of showers moving onto the west coast will miss us, might finally get something in the way of showers
    http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp
    They are on a south westerly so most of them might...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Gonzo wrote:
    looks like there is a big clearance coming, see hardly any rain over north connaught and ulster.

for us it looks like there is plenty more coming cause if u look at the radar it is all still travelling from west to east, winds havn't turned nw'ly yet. the north won't have any precip in next few hours but there is loads to the west of us, just press play in the link:
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

wish it wud stop lol as i want to go out but the rain as been non stop since about 4 or 5pm. It's now turned to sleet with some hail mixed in and theres bits of slush on the car.

the sleet is becoming more snow based than rain based as time is goin on too, if it keeps fallin i reckon it cud turn to proper snow within next hour to 90 minutes

Gonzo wrote:
    wish it wud stop lol as i want to go out but the rain as been non stop since about 4 or 5pm. It's now turned to sleet with some hail mixed in and theres bits of slush on the car.

the sleet is becoming more snow based than rain based as time is goin on too, if it keeps fallin i reckon it cud turn to proper snow within next hour to 90 minutes

ye it's nice to see more and more snowflakes falling, collecting on cars and roofs as a slushy mess. it's a pity that there is so much flooding though cause even a blizzard will melt as soon as it hits the water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Looks like a big shower to hit Wicklow in an hour or so!

Brace yourselves.

BTW - Webcam is operational so you should be able to see if there is any snow in the next few days:

http://www.arctictree.com/webcam-000000.jpg

Updates every minute

A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

arctictree wrote:
    Looks like a big shower to hit Wicklow in an hour or so!

Brace yourselves.

BTW - Webcam is operational so you should be able to see if there is any snow in the next few days:

http://www.arctictree.com/webcam-000000.jpg

Updates every minute

A
    Hope you get some snow arctictree, i don't think we'll get anyhting wintry from it here unless the temp really plummets with the shower as the temp is slowly falling but it's still at 7.1C

trogdor wrote:
    Hope you get some snow arctictree, i don't think we'll get anyhting wintry from it here unless the temp really plummets with the shower as the temp is slowly falling but it's still at 7.1C

I'm currently at 4.0. If it a drops a couple of degrees in the shower, might get some sleety snow.

I'd say there will definitley be accumulations on the Mountains tonight. I'll be in the Sally Gap area in the morning and will take the digi cam with me.

That shower should be happening soon....

A

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Keep this thread for medium range forecasts only.
    Post [thread=2055023550]here[/thread] for snow or other wintry stuff as it happens.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

rc28 wrote:
    for us it looks like there is plenty more coming cause if u look at the radar it is all still travelling from west to east, winds havn't turned nw'ly yet. the north won't have any precip in next few hours but there is loads to the west of us, just press play in the link:
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Yes and the snow probably won't come until the winds switch to a Northerly or Nw'ly direction. It was dry for about 2 hours- from 8pm - 10pm, now the wind has picked up and it's raining again with some sleet mixed in. By the way there was a gust of 150km/h recorded in Belmullet this morning.

• Advertisement

yes and the snow probably won't come until the winds switch to the north. It was dry for about 2 hours- from 8pm - 10pm, now the wind has picked up and it's raining again with some sleet mixed in. By the way there was a gust of 150km/h recorded in Belmullet this morning.

where are you located? wow 150km/h! it must have been from a squall.
    i've just watched latest radar animation and wind has definitely turned nw'ly but i don't know if those showers will make it all the way to meath...
    there is still loads of surface water round my house, we got some amount of rain today (at one point a lot of sleet too) even with lightning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Most of the precip over Ireland now is sleet with the odd patch of snow in there on the precip type radar.

darkman2 wrote:
    Most of the precip over Ireland now is sleet with the odd patch of snow in there on the precip type radar.

where can i access the precipitype radar? that would be great to know whats coming

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

rc28 wrote:
    where can i access the precipitype radar? that would be great to know whats coming

There is no such thing to my knowledge, bar the fact that snow often isn't seen by radar and cold air can appear as anaprop.
    Would be very interested in a site that claims their radar can distinguish precip type.
    Not saying its impossible, just very curious as to the methodology behind any site that claims they can.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

They (sites that claim to give precipitype) combine data from dewpoints and 850hpa to the radar data I would guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I was having a look at the GFS for tonight/tomorrow morning (not very useful I know) and the GFS prefers north Wales to the east coast for the heaviest precipitation post the crossing of the occluded front. The Monday 1200 chart is very nice altogether:D

Tuesday night shows an interesting situation. The polar low is explicitly marked on the GFS chart for the time, though it shows a front pushing the colder air back until the -5 850 line is in the middle of the Irish Sea, then the cold air moves in again over the east of Ireland. There could be a few lucky people who'll get a stalled front turning to snow on Monday morning. The dewpoints, however are not so favourable, so heavy enough sleet seems the most likely outcome. It's hard to say at this stage but is it likely that so much warm air will be dragged into it?

http://85.214.49.20/pics/brack2.gif

Thats the latest fax chart I have to hand.

Met Éireann this morning have progged that to bring rain and sleet as it heads south-probably backed up by higher 850 temps and the fact that the 528 line doesnt get further than the west of wales.
    Still you never know.

Artic tree and Longfield will see plenty of the white stuff from it though so they will be happy.
    By wenesday there should be a fair accumilation building up in annamoe and Roundwood as all precip there from tonight to then will be snow unlike the rest of us minions on the low ground and near the coast.

I'm expecting snow showers here tomorrow though and through tuesday and havent ruled out that front bringing some either as I'm located south of the wicklow mountains so if theres any activity left on it,it may not have a chance to melt as it blows down through the mountains to here.

A now cast if ever I saw one.

Temp is dropping here in the clear sunny skies currently 3.4c in a westerly straight off a snow capped croghan mt.DP is 1c though which is why we saw rain just now.

Not ruling out snow for lower levels though not settling but this was always going to favour higher elevation as it always does.
    I dont think we see accumulations unfortunately down low as also the ground temp is also unfavourable.
    I am just hoping that this cold spell will reduce sst sufficently enough and be the precursor for the next cold blipp.

If i get to see some of the white stuff falling well good enough for me as i have said back in December this spell was was in a trend and that has come off.
    Given the current setup I would not stick my neck out beyond a week Snowbie tbh.
    I dont usually.But i have a hunch that we will have our northern block maybe closer than mid month playin the part.Its a similar trend i have witnessed before.I will stick my neck out a little bit further than a week only this once.I have been saying this a number of times since early Dec.I go by trends and not FI and we are trending towards a chillier Jan for a good few years wheather we get snow or not but tis on course to be a lot colder 2nd week on.

Now if the current setup is correct as we have our mid to high lat blocking,Febuary will follow suit with a couple of cold snaps again in a trend and with lower sst the coast be more favourable than now.But as always we shall see.:)

That's a nice "I told you so" post:p

But you certainly backed the right horse with that. Hopefully your predictions for February will come off, not like last year's series of let-downs. A powerful Greenland High and all we saw was a 10 minute snow shower in Drogheda:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

I hope that high sits over us for a few days, we have a charter booked for next Sunday out of Courtmacsherry to do some offshore (35-40 miles out) wrecking. The sea hasn't settled down for a long time.
    jd

• Advertisement

Here's a pretty chart http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/Rtavn3121.png. We could be lucky...

Maybe,imagine if we had that now,it be useless with the warm sea.Hopefully after this cold spell it reduce the temp to near normal levels as to get the real siberian bite not being warmed before it hits us.

this morning meteireann had gave a very depressing forecast for today with temps of 5-8degrees and just rain showers, now their website has been updated and they now say snow showers and much lower temps(3-6degrees). they say this on teletext fc too. remember everyone that the farming forecast is on at 1:15 on rte1
    http://www.met.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I honestly was about to say that I thought it felt less cold out today than it did yesterday..but the newest forecast is nice. They only mention snow, as in precipitation turning increasingly to snow, and then further snow showers tonight. Usually they hedge their bets and throw everything in there ("rain, hail, sleet, snow" ;)). I guess we'll see. I don't think there'll be much to anticipate down round these levels though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not so confident myself either, was getting excited yesterday coz it started off wintry nice and early but its all gone back, a few light rain showers this morning but mostly sunny. Hopefully it'll all change and we'll see some decent snow on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Let's see what meteireann say on the farming forecast after the news at 1:15 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Met seem to think we will see snow today and tonight if we are going to see it all, as there 3 day outlook shows sun and sleet showers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

THey sure know how to cheer you up don't they.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    "showers of snow after evening and overnight" "don't be suprised if you wake up to a white covering"
    Just got to calm myself down now and convice me that it won't snow:)

Hard to understand that Eagle. They should have drafted Evelyn in for that one.

What I could make out:

Snow tonight and tomorrow, 3c,
    Possible rain/sleet/snow on Tuesday 3c,
    Fine and settled thereafter, 7c.

• Advertisement

Winds are still SW, once they turn North later, we'll see a difference.

Also, I take it from the news that there is a front coming down with this wind change?

A

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement