Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woeful RTE....

• 30-12-2006 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

classic RTE today... the one time they have an exclusive live match - manutd - v reading...

first of all, they can't get the picture sorted and after missing the first couple of mins eventually get it right.

just now, they lost sound just as Reading scored to make it 1-1 and couldn't get it back. I hear muffled noises, mobile phone ring tones and eventually the commentry comes back THROUGH A MOBILE PHONE.

eventually, they get the sound back only for it to go again. Back to the mobile phone....

absolutely ridiculous :mad: What sort of a shambles are they :confused:

edit: it's not even half time yet!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

smemon wrote:
    classic RTE today... the one time they have an exclusive live match - manutd - v reading..

They have one every 2nd week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Stekelly wrote:
    They have one every 2nd week.

a decent one which attracts a crowd ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

smemon wrote:

Suppose you have to cater to the corporate lot once in a while. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,016 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

smemon wrote:
    first of all, they can't get the picture sorted and after missing the first couple of mins eventually get it right.
    It might not be RTE's fault. They could be taking a live feed from another channel (?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

smemon wrote:
    Yeah. They should focus on Reading more often.

The commentary is a joke. "We're endeavouring to bring you the best possible commentary we can, but we're back on the phone". What a shambles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i can't beleive they're using a mobile phone for the commentary :mad:
    uggghh..and ray houghton...ugggh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Same old same old.
    When Hamilton came back on over the phone I just changed the channel.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

This is the same RTE that has a "technical issue" nearly on every News programme.

Personally I enjoyed the match more without the commentry from Mr. United and his sidekick !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

lol

"Video alarm detected" now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

It could be worse, there could be no match on. Be grateful for what you've got.

• Advertisement

Be "grateful" for RTE? :rolleyes:
    Wow lucky us, eh? Thank god for Sky :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

gandalf wrote:
    Personally I enjoyed the match more without the commentry from Mr. United

Exactly. Bad enough to have to listen to that moron in the first place but all joking aside I'm getting the sneaky suspicion the guy with Beglin is a ManU supporter (or has been advised to be pro-ManU in his commentary).

Stuff like : "Hopefully (*quick interjection*....eh from a ManU pov....) they'll be able to extended their record of not conceding more than 1 and go on to win the game".

Yeah ok!

Savman wrote:

Turn it off then. But you won't will you? :rolleyes:

fade2black wrote:
    Turn it off then. But you won't will you? :rolleyes:
    Er, yes I did if you read above:
    me wrote:
    When Hamilton came back on over the phone I just changed the channel.

Don't believe a word of it tbh. If you hate RTE 1 so much what were ya doing watching it in the first place.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Savman wrote:

You wont see a game on a sat evening @3pm on $ky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

fade2black wrote:
    Don't believe a word of it tbh. If you hate RTE 1 so much what were ya doing watching it in the first place.
    Trying to get value for a €158 TV licence maybe. Sounds like RTE are investing our money well.

To be honest, I don't care who they have commentating or if there's anyone commentating at all as long as I can see the match.

fade2black wrote:
    To be honest, I don't care who they have commentating or if there's anyone commentating at all as long as I can see the match.
    Well some people expect slightly better service for our money, and rightly so imo. I remember only a few weeks ago they played the first half of the Premiership repeat twice and I didn't get to see the rest of the goals having stayed up til 4am to see them - second time they done that to me! They're a bit of a joke really. More people complaining might actually result in better service so I don't see your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Ive spent so many Saturdays watching a horrible reception and foreign commentary on TVU, PPStream and the likes. So today was a joy!

• Advertisement

@kinaldo

I have no problem whatsoever with people expecting a better standard of service, however, it's just part of the culture in this country that we complain to everyone, expect the people that actually count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

tbh, i dont care if i loose RTE sound(as long as the picture stays!), their commentry and match chat sucks. its united radio for commentry on united games.

fade2black wrote:
    @kinaldo

I have no problem whatsoever with people expecting a better standard of service, however, it's just part of the culture in this country that we complain to everyone, expect the people that actually count.
    Seemed to me like u had a problem as u responded to posts in this thread telling people they should be grateful for their €158 a year public broadcaster or to turn off, u didn't say anything about taking their complaints elsewhere.

I said they should be grateful that there is a match on at all. As aquos said, Sky don't have a match at 3 on a Saturday. (And really Kinaldo, we don't need text speak on the soccer forum, it's only two more letters to type "you" properly.)

fade2black wrote:
    I said they should be grateful that there is a match on at all. As aquos said, Sky don't have a match at 3 on a Saturday. (And really Kinaldo, we don't need text speak on the soccer forum, it's only two more letters to type "you" properly.)
    You're right! Sky's match kicked off at 5.15! And today is a Saturday ;)

They've also a rake of games on in the next few days. Personally I'd prefer all that LIVE footy over the Dunphy rants on The Premiership. But there ain't no accounting for taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

I had to laugh but it didnt really affect me. They had it sorted by the second half, dad and i had a good chuckle over the mobile phone though.

..get over people using "txt speak or internet english", you moaning about it is not gonna change peoples writing style. If anything people could say, " bloody "foreigner" should write internet english" :p

Back on topic however. I don't watch RTE that often, or much tv in general bar sports but this is the first i can remember RTE having difficulties in a while. Don't get me wrong, i'm sure it happens regularly but it just doesn't seem to be a big deal to me.

B-K-DzR wrote:
    ..get over people using "txt speak or internet english", you moaning about it is not gonna change peoples writing style. If anything people could say, " bloody "foreigner" should write internet english" :p

In this case it did work ;)
    savman wrote:
    They've also a rake of games on in the next few days. Personally I'd prefer all that LIVE footy over the Dunphy rants on The Premiership. But there ain't no accounting for taste.

Sky is slowly but surely losing it's grip and exclusivity of premiership soccer and you also have to remember that they're a dedicated sporting station and RTE are trying (how hard is open for debate) to cater for all tastes, from living>soaps>kids>sports>drama and comedy etc.

I never thought I'd ever be coming out in defence of RTE to be honest, but I am grateful of the saturday afternoon games.

fade2black wrote:
    (And really Kinaldo, we don't need text speak on the soccer forum,
    It's a form of onomatopoeia. I hate text speak too.
    fade2black wrote:
    it's only two more letters to type "you" properly.)
    I'd rather text speak here than condescending spelling lessons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Honestly anything that happens that stops Beglins claptrap getting aited is a positive in my book.

• Advertisement

Fade2black, please don't falsely attribute quotes to me. That's fúcking annoying.
    fade2black wrote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kinaldo

Sky is slowly but surely losing it's grip and exclusivity of premiership soccer and you also have to remember that they're a dedicated sporting station and RTE are trying (how hard is open for debate) to cater for all tastes, from living>soaps>kids>sports>drama and comedy etc.

I never thought I'd ever be coming out in defence of RTE to be honest, but I am grateful of the saturday afternoon games.

Sorry about that. Fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Listen, it could be worse - ITV could be showing it

fade2black you're taking all this very personally, do you work for RTE or somethin?

The mobile phone thing today was just embarrassing. It doesn't mean I'll never watch RTE footy again, but it does mean I'm perfectly entitled to change the channel. They had decent world cup coverage in fairness and the Champions League is grand too. But to suggest we should be "grateful" for crap service is foolish. You be grateful if you want, some of us demand better.

Yes. I'm the head of programming.

Savman wrote:
    You're right! Sky's match kicked off at 5.15! And today is a Saturday ;)

The issue was with RTE and 3PM games on Saturdays. I said that you wont see a 3pm game on Sky at this time on a Saturday afternoon. As was said previously in this thread
    Ive spent so many Saturdays watching a horrible reception and foreign commentary on TVU, PPStream and the likes. So today was a joy!

So before you start making scarastic remarks like Sky showing a game @17.15 on a Saturday, please try and read peoples posts properly

• Advertisement

Savman wrote:
    But to suggest we should be "grateful" for crap service is foolish. You be grateful if you want, some of us demand better.

Yes we should be grateful for LIVE 3pm games shown on a Saturday afternoon. One thing is for sure, our neighbours in the UK, would love to have what we have every Saturday afternoon, whether its RTE or Setanta showing it.

Aquos76 wrote:
    please try and read people's posts properly
    Sorry but you missed the apostrophe to indicate possession. I took the liberty of correcting it for you and the benefit of fade2black so he doesn't have to get on your case about bad grammar. :rolleyes:

Aquos76 wrote:
    One thing is for sure, our neighbours in the UK, would love to have what we have every Saturday afternoon, whether its RTE or Setanta showing it.
    Well they're not all Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal fans, and it is easier for them to go to games too, so I doubt they'd be bothered much.

My point wasn't bad grammar. It was about text speak. Surely that was obvious to you kinaldo? Surely you're not just starting arguments for the sake of it? Then again, someone who gets so upset by misquotes, I wouldn't put it past you.

fade2black wrote:
    My point wasn't bad grammar. It was about text speak. Surely that was obvious to you kinaldo? Surely you're not just starting arguments for the sake of it? Then again, someone who gets so upset by misquotes, I wouldn't put it past you.
    I didn't get upset but mis-attributing quotes to me forces me to post so I got annoyed as would a lot of people. If spelling "you" as "u" bothers u then I assume bad grammar is just as important if not more so. If anyone was trying to start an argument here then it was you by having a go at me, completely off topic.

• Advertisement

Well I apologised to you for misquoting you and fixed it. You didn't even acknowledge that so really you're not worth replying to anymore.

fade2black wrote:
    Well I apologised to you for misquoting you and fixed it. You didn't even acknowledge that so really you're not worth replying to anymore.
    Apology accepted. I'm just in a bad mood because Newcastle lost 3-0 today.

No probs. *shakes hand*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

RTE show people in Ireland a game in England that wouldn't be seen otherwise, barring late night highlights or trips over to Engerland. So in a word, yes you should all be grateful for the service they provide for the English obessed. So the commentary went for a few minutes, and you had to change the channel? Can you not watch football and understand it without needing some buffon explaining whats happening in the pictures to you? Then when a temporary solution is introduced briefly, thats a problem? Sheesh! Some people! :rolleyes:

// edit :: Re-reading that, it sounds a bit harsh or something. The commentary went, big whoop. It's not as if the commentary is essential to enjoyment of the game on the pitch, is it? They improvised as best they could from across the water at the time, and a phone it was for a few brief minutes. It was either that or no commentary for a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

some of you lot really need to get a grip. their was a slight delay of getting the game on tv. it was what 3 minutes? jesus you would swear that **** ups like this never happened before on any channel

in fact why doesnt someone who is whinging and moaning highlight all the problems RTÉ have had with the Premiership

commentary went for a short while. not able to watch a game of football without someone telling you whats happening?

this thread is full of people having a moan simply because it is RTÉ. it is all on Setanta next season, hopefully you are all ntl subscribers or else you will be paying for it

Two excellent posts there guys. Totally agree with both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

kinaldo wrote:
    Apology accepted. I'm just in a bad mood because Newcastle lost 3-0 today.

You must spend alot of time in bad form ;)

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Savman wrote:
    When Hamilton came back on over the phone I just changed the channel.:rolleyes:

I thought that was Steven Alkin (sp?) on the commentary today with Beglin. :confused:

They're bad but if anyone watched "The Premiership" this evening, I think they'll agree that Ger Canning (Fulham v Chelsea) is pure rubbish. He also does GAA and greyhound racing commentary, neither or which he is much good at, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

all i wanted was to see a game of football.

i don't want to see errors popping up on the screen or to hear high pitched noises, mobile phone ringtones and someone messing about with the microphone '1,2 , 1,2......bang...bang ...bang' :rolleyes:

What sort of a shop are they running??

This is a LIVE broadcast. Sure - even sky can have the odd hitch, (for about 1 second) but it was just a joke today.

I had no choice but to watch it on RTE, if it was on another station, i wouldn't have watched it on RTE in the first place. As far as i'm concerned it was a chance to win over a few fans from sky and they failed miserably.. it was embarrassing.

opr wrote:
    You must spend alot of time in bad form ;)

Opr
    Aye. Supporting Newcastle is probably very bad for the health too. I have to be up at 5am now to catch a flight over for a match on Monday I'm very much not looking forward to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement