Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woeful RTE....

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

smemon wrote:
    I had no choice but to watch it on RTE, if it was on another station, i wouldn't have watched it on RTE in the first place. As far as i'm concerned it was a chance to win over a few fans from sky and they failed miserably.. it was embarrassing.

Don't know where you have been for all of this season and all of last season. RTE and Setanta have been showing LIVE 3pm games between them so I cant see how you can say
    As far as I'm concerned it was a chance to win over a few fans from sky and they failed miserably..

Will you ever get over it or else send your complaints to the reverent department in RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Mossy Monk wrote:
    it is all on Setanta next season, hopefully you are all ntl subscribers or else you will be paying for it
    RTE are providing a fine service so its a pity the clowns at Setanta will have their dirty mits on the matches next year.
    RTE are top class pros compared to those muppets.
    smemon wrote:
    As far as i'm concerned it was a chance to win over a few fans from sky
    Hardly.
    Sky's coverage is low brow and insulting to the viewers intelligence.
    They treat the viewer like a schoolboy and their punditry seems to consist solely of Jamie 12 year old Redknapp going 'Geee ,whiz ,smashing ,super,wee'
    Giles had a right cut off Redknapp tonight,priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

RTE and Setanta have been showing LIVE 3pm games between them so I cant see how you can say

yes, however it's not too often they'll show Utd at 3 on a saturday which is the team i support and i'd imagine gets the most viewers.
    RTE are top class pros compared to those muppets.

i'd prefer to pay for a decent reliable service rather than get a shabby one for free, especially if it's important to me. (technically it's not free either :mad: )
    Sky's coverage is low brow and insulting to the viewers intelligence.

agree totally, which is why i often switch over to RTE at half time for a bit of entertainment from Dumphy. If there's matches on at the same time and Dumphy is in studio.

However sky have a lot of pre-match build up hype and put a lot of work into video clips, camera angles etc... Now it's a little OTT and can get annoying but at least they put the effort in and take everything seriously.

you cannot defend RTE today. We were cut short a few minutes at the start - in fact the camera just cut to a reading player crossing the ball into the Utd area... no warning or anything :rolleyes: the lads in the studio were still talking.

The audio went down twice, red alerts popped up on screen, some bright spark thought a mobile phone would do the job as a microphone..

It wouldn't happen at Sky.

RTE always seems to shut down at Christmas.
    Their Sports news the other night was a disaster ,none of the video links worked,twas so funny.:D
    Its definitely not acceptable that at one of the busiest tv times of the year that RTE operate on a skeleton crew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Kojak wrote:

They're bad but if anyone watched "The Premiership" this evening, I think they'll agree that Ger Canning (Fulham v Chelsea) is pure rubbish. He also does GAA and greyhound racing commentary, neither or which he is much good at, IMO.

Canning: 'It's knocked back in by Mark Wright-Philips' :D

I found this hilarious. Who is this hybrid of Mark Wright and Shaun Wright-Philips?

smemon wrote:
    yes, however it's not too often they'll show Utd at 3 on a saturday which is the team i support and i'd imagine gets the most viewers.

26 Aug Barclays Premiership Man United Vs Watford 15:00 A 2 - 1
    Shown Live by RTE
    28 Oct Barclays Premiership Man United Vs Bolton 15:00 A 4 - 0
    Shown Live by RTE
    04 Nov Barclays Premiership Man United Vs Portsmouth 15:00 H 3 - 0
    Shown Live by Setanta
    18 Nov Barclays Premiership Man United Vs Sheffield United 15:00 A 2 - 1
    Shown Live by Setanta
    23 Dec Barclays Premiership Man United Vs Aston Villa 15:00 A 3 - 0
    Shown Live by Setanta
    30 Dec Barclays Premiership Man United Vs Reading 15:00 H 3 - 2
    Shown Live by RTE

Man U have played 6 matches @3pm on a Saturday, and if I'm not mistaken, all 6 have been shown Live here in Rep Of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think the point behind this is whether RTE f*ck up more than other channels when it comes to live coverage, not how low/high brow the coverage is, and in that arena, RTE have a pretty poor record with having faults.

Fact is, were it to happen on the BBC or Sky, someone would be picking up their P45, but I doubt that'll happen with RTE (and not happen once, but twice...)

Nunu wrote:

I found this hilarious. Who is this hybrid of Mark Wright and Shaun Wright-Philips?
    Lol.
    Chebshenko was mentioned a few times too by Giles and Canning.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

If you sit down to watch 90minutes of football on the tele you expect to get 90minutes worth of video footage which is suitable for broadcast...not the 75minutes or thereabouts that RTE presented this evening. Constant technical commentary issues and sometimes they even have Ray Houghton doing the commentary...double whammy! :mad:

Giles ramble about Redknapp was class this evening. What a hero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

By Jesus you people are annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Nunu wrote:

I was watching that repeat of Malta v Ireland 1989 the other day and the commentator (possibly Hamilton?) on one occasion called Kevin Moran "Kevin Doyle". :eek: I thought that was a bit weird! Is he someone getting visions Ireland matches from the future as he watches current ones. Does he know our fate in 2023?

Possibly not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Aquos76 wrote:
    Shown Live by RTE
    Shown Live by RTE
    Shown Live by Setanta
    Shown Live by Setanta
    Shown Live by Setanta
    Shown Live by RTE

Man U have played 6 matches @3pm on a Saturday, and if I'm not mistaken, all 6 have been shown Live here in Rep Of Ireland.

Exactly, i think smemon is talking out of his arse if he doesnt know his facts.

All this anti RTE i can kind of understand due to poor service yesterday but was it really that big a deal to people....You cant really compare Sky to RTE because Sky have so many more resources i would believe and they dont always get it right either.
    People might have to take into account the bad weather yesterday might have been a factor in loss of link ?? You cant argue with nature..

People mock the RTE commentary but can people honestly say they enjoy the Sky commentary...tabloid commentary and then there is the brain Andy Gray and a couple more sheep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

smemon wrote:
    I had no choice but to watch it on RTE, if it was on another station, i wouldn't have watched it on RTE in the first place. As far as i'm concerned it was a chance to win over a few fans from sky and they failed miserably.. it was embarrassing.

Win a few fans from Sky? Fans will watch whatever channel is showing the game, and at 3pm on a Saturday that is only RTE (or Setanta). Bit of a guaranteed viewership, so to speak.

It was either watch RTE or the 'fans' don't see 'their' 'beloved' English team in a city 200 miles away and across the sea play. 75 minutes or whatever is better than nothing, I think you'll agree - seeing as you would have seen none of it otherwise. RTE make being obsessed with the English so difficult, don't they? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

To be fair, having to put up with your type of vitriol Einstürzende would surely put anyone off supporting an EL team and push them into being more english obsessed.

Although I can quite clearly see the link between RTE broadcasting and yet another rant against people in Ireland supporting events in other countries... (pathetic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Aquos76 wrote:
    Shown Live by RTE
    Shown Live by RTE
    Shown Live by Setanta
    Shown Live by Setanta
    Shown Live by Setanta
    Shown Live by RTE

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

I can't believe that people are moaning about a loss of sound. Boo-hoo!

Listening to some people You would think that other broadcasters are immune to any **** ups. On their comparatively minuscule budget, RTE are offering a live premiership match ever weekend on top of their, er, other quality programming. Added to this, I believe that RTE showed every game in the World Cup, they show CL football and they show the odd Premiership game. I stand to be corrected, but I think that no other broadcaster, SKY included, can boast the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

I can't believe that people are moaning about a loss of sound. Boo-hoo!

Listening to some people You would think that other broadcasters are immune to any **** ups. On their comparatively minuscule budget, RTE are offering a live premiership match ever weekend on top of their, er, other quality programming. Added to this, I believe that RTE showed every game in the World Cup, they show CL football and they show the odd Premiership game. I stand to be corrected, but I think that no other broadcaster, SKY included, can boast the same.
    I don't think World Cups can be shown by subscription channels, FIFA regulations IIRC. I chose RTE over BBC and ITV during the world cup, that's saying something I guess.

I'm not mad about Sky's international coverage, but they do have the Premiership nailed. In all my time watching Sky, I've not personally witnessed a cock-up like RTE on Saturday afternoon. It's not the fact they lost the sound, that's not a big deal, but hearing a phone ring then they try to do commentary down the phone line is just cringe worthy. It's not that any other broadcaster is problem free, but when technical glitches occur they don't seem to fall apart.

Like I said, if you like RTE, watch it. Good for you I guess.

This is getting really boring now.

I dunno! I think we can get another page out of it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Not with me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Savman wrote:
    I don't think World Cups can be shown by subscription channels, FIFA regulations IIRC

actually subscription channels can show the World Cup. ESPN for example shared the coverage with ABC in the states

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Exactly, i think smemon is talking out of his arse if he doesnt know his facts.

correct me if i'm wrong lads, but setanta, for me anyway (outside of the capital) is Pay per View, i don't get it for free. :cool:

I sure as hell aren't going to pay for it along with a full sky subscription. Any time i'm free and Utd are playing and aren't on sky, i'll watch them on a live stream.

The fact RTE were showing it - i thought, great, i can enjoy uninterrupted viewing and curl up on the couch enjoying the left overs from Christmas.

boy was i wrong :rolleyes:

fists should be flying in RTE over that. Someone must take the blame and make sure it doesnt happen again. Yeah, sure - nature could have played a part, often does. However backup plans should be in place.

If the electricity went out at RTE, they'd be searching for a few candles in the basement. If the same happend at SKY, the generator would kick in and nobody would notice.

• Advertisement

I really hope you have emailed RTE with all your frustrations, because I for one am now pissed off of listening to you on here.

@Fanny Cradock

quod erat demonstrandum=A phrase used to signal that a proof has just been completed.

Am I right in assuming this is what you meant, I was merely trying to point out how wrong he was again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

smemon wrote:
    correct me if i'm wrong lads, but setanta, for me anyway (outside of the capital) is Pay per View, i don't get it for free. :cool:

Ok so, it's free on NTL MMDS here in Oranmore Co.Galway :p

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You watch one match and complain? Try being an EL fan relying on them to see your team. Feckin matches dont start until 10 minutes, lucky if you have sound and as for aertel jesus i have went to matches then to pub and when i get home aertel still shows it as 0-0 and still playing.

be glad you have Sky and others for your footballl and dont have to rely on RTE.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Yee snobs!

Try watching EL weekly every week.:D

I must say I was enjoying the match without the commentary. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Yee snobs!

Try watching EL weekly every week.:D

Case in point was in cork for our game with you when we won 1-0 with 9 men, by time i got home about 4am was 0-0 :confused:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

astrofool wrote:
    To be fair, having to put up with your type of vitriol Einstürzende would surely put anyone off supporting an EL team and push them into being more english obsessed.

Although I can quite clearly see the link between RTE broadcasting and yet another rant against people in Ireland supporting events in other countries... (pathetic)
    Vitriol? Seriously? Merely pointing out that we are living in Ireland, getting viewing access to games that those actually living in England don't get, and still finding something to moan about with regards to it. Now that's pathetic.

RTE are providing a valuable service to those in Ireland who can't be without the English game, and there's still something to moan about for some people. If me pointing out that its RTE or nothing drives you across the sea, then thats whats pathetic. Nowhere did I mention Irish football or Irish teams, but as I said above, pointed out that RTE are providing a service in their display of English games - games the English themselves don't get to see.

Never thought I'd stand up for RTE, Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

smemon wrote:

Any time i'm free and Utd are playing and aren't on sky, i'll watch them on a live stream.

The fact RTE were showing it - i thought, great, i can enjoy uninterrupted viewing and curl up on the couch enjoying the left overs from Christmas.
    Yea i am sure they were your thoughts,:rolleyes: :rolleyes: is this really that big a deal you...
    smemon wrote:
    fists should be flying in RTE over that. Someone must take the blame and make sure it doesnt happen again. Yeah, sure - nature could have played a part, often does. However backup plans should be in place.

If the electricity went out at RTE, they'd be searching for a few candles in the basement. If the same happend at SKY, the generator would kick in and nobody would notice.

"Take the blame" - Its not a nuclear leak we are talking about, its a couple of technical faults, get over it :rolleyes:

Sky Sky Sky, they had a couple of technical issues today with links to some of their reporters, do you want to complain about them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

What a fantastic thread!:D

I did find the coverage very dodgy on Saturday.The "one two" mic tests mid-match were classic.

I had gotten over it but after visiting this thread I think I'm ready for a fight.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is RTE screening The Premiership tonight? Can't spot it!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

mike65 wrote:
    Is RTE screening The Premiership tonight? Can't spot it!

Mike.

Nothing listed on their schedule.

MOTD is on BBC1@ 10.45pm.

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote:

@Fanny Cradock

quod erat demonstrandum=A phrase used to signal that a proof has just been completed.

Am I right in assuming this is what you meant, I was merely trying to point out how wrong he was again

Yes, you're correct. I was highlighting that you made a good point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

No Premiership tonight?

Anyone doing Test The Nation?

Advertisement