Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you......

Options
  • 30-12-2006 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

get this

http://images1.thomann.de/pics/prod/185168.jpg

to work on cubase???

it was all going swimmingly until it became apparent that the software youre givin only allows you to record 4 tracks.

i have sx 3 by the by if it makes any differance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I imagine you could use the tone port as your interface and record as many tracks as you want with SX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

You set Cubase to use the toneport asio driver in the device settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

oops! didnt see that one thanks beecher!

got it.

thanks a mil!

Did you really spend all that money on Cubase? Or did you get a pirate copy?

• Advertisement

i'm trying before i buy :D

You're a dick. This is why there are so many assholes thinking they're actually contributing to music with their piss poor attempts at recording. I knew you pirated it because nobody who spends 900 lids on SX 3 would ask such a stupid question. There is alot of free, high quality sequencers on the market. The reason Cubase SX and its contemporaries cost so much is because people like you are harming the industry; and lets be realistic, you're hardly gonna wind up as the next George Martin, especially if you cant configure your sequencer to recognise your sound cards. Stop being such a tightwad and buy yourself LE, SE, or download Audacity or Reaper. Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Eh.... calm down there chief.

Anima wrote:
    Eh.... calm down there chief.

Why? He is a dick. Software Piracy is a crime, and it's one companies like Steinberg are really cracking down on. If you don't make money off legitimate licenscing, you don't have the means to help people with a genuine interest. I'm not saying everyone can afford to spend thousands on software, but theres entry-level stuff; he's in over his head as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

TelePaul wrote:
    Why? He is a dick. Software Piracy is a crime, and it's one companies like Steinberg are really cracking down on. If you don't make money off legitimate licenscing, you don't have the means to help people with a genuine interest. I'm not saying everyone can afford to spend thousands on software, but theres entry-level stuff; he's in over his head as it is.

Personally I dont think its that bad pirating software if what you are doing with it is not making you money, adobe says this flat out, their opinion all be it unofficial (for obvious reasons) is that the more people who pirate photoshop the more popular their software will be and susequently be used in the professional photography industry. Photography and design houses have to buy licenses just like recording studios have to, I'm willing to bet a lot of artists whom use cubase or any other pro-audio software had a pirate copy at some stage in their career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

TelePaul wrote:
    The reason Cubase SX and its contemporaries cost so much is because people like you are harming the industry
    Bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Telepaul: You can have and express whatever your opinion is but calling someone a dick doesn't help anything. If you are abusive to anyone on the forum again you're banned for 2 weeks, do it again after that and the ban will permanant.

This is a good topic and an important issue for people in the industry, please everyone continue it in a polite manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Back in the day, there were no cheap/free alternatives. You used cubase, cakewalk or logic or you bought a 4-track. I tried warez versions and eventually found an affinity with Cakewalk and bought the software (just took delivery of Sonar 6 and Dimension pro).

My take is that nowadays, you can do a lot with shareware and freeware, and there are downloadable demos for the big players. There's really no excuse to pirate anymore. Learn your trade then spend the dosh if you need to.

It is a tough industry to survive in. Apple ate logic. Roland ate Cakewalk. If they hadn't, the companies may not have survived. Gol and JMC from FL Studio will occasionally discuss how much pirating goes on from their software - it is scary. The argument that it's try before you buy doesn't wash. Most people will never pay if they can get the product for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

TelePaul wrote:
    and lets be realistic, you're hardly gonna wind up as the next George Martin, especially if you cant configure your sequencer to recognise your sound cards

I think we could do without arrogant **** like that. Who amongst us could claim they're gonna be the next George Martin? Besides I'd be willing to bet George Martin wouldn't have a clue how to setup a soundcard... ;)

Anyway I don't agree that people will never buy if they can have the pirated software. Ok the whole SX "Try before you buy" thing might be a bit tongue in cheek, but it has a certain ring of truth to it. I know because that's exactly what I did, and I know I'm not the only one. It's very easy when you've finally got your licensed software to forget just how daunting and discouraging it is starting off to see the price of the established software programs. Sure, there's free alternatives, but when given the choice between freeware and a "professional" program, people are gonna choose the latter. Maybe the big players are a victim of their own marketing, you have to have this or that software for the "professional" sound.

You're wasting your time jumping down the throats of people using pirated software on a public forum. The guy just wants to record himself or his band, what harm? We're all guilty of it at some stage. If you really wanna do something about it, go after the people who are cracking the software.

Oh, but you won't be getting your software any cheaper, I can guarantee you that...

Sure, there's free alternatives, but when given the choice between freeware and a "professional" program, people are gonna choose the latter.

Yeah, and as demonstarted, have no diea how to use it.

Maybe the big players are a victim of their own marketing, you have to have this or that software for the "professional" sound.

I can drive, so am I entitled to steal a BMW?

We're all guilty of it at some stage.
    Speak for yourself, I pay for my stuff.
    Oh, but you won't be getting your software any cheaper, I can guarantee you that...

No, you cant.

squibs wrote:
    My take is that nowadays, you can do a lot with shareware and freeware, and there are downloadable demos for the big players. There's really no excuse to pirate anymore. Learn your trade then spend the dosh if you need to.

The argument that it's try before you buy doesn't wash. Most people will never pay if they can get the product for free.

Squibs is exactly right. Piracy is just unacceptable.

Gordon wrote:
    Bollocks.
    I think you should do some research on programming and r & d costs versus the cost of manufacturing a cd.

I did start off on a pirate copy myself, I was only 15 and programs like Audacity werent around at the time (this was when Cubase 3.1 was their flagship product). I did end up buying a proper copy of cubase and once the initial outlay is made its cheap enough to upgrade to the newer versions when they come out.

Piracy however will start to decline. I currently work in a software/internet protection company so I come across a lot of whats happening. It took over a year for a group to successfully crack Cubase SX3 and even then its not entirely stable when using some of the features with the crack in place. With the advances in security within Cubase 4 it might not be worth the time trying to bypass the protection.

Beecher wrote:
    With the advances in security within Cubase 4 it might not be worth the time trying to bypass the protection.

Exactly, particularly when theres so much excellent freeware available.

TelePaul wrote:
    Exactly, particularly when theres so much excellent freeware available.

That is one factor, but with the roughly 1 1/2 - 2 years it could take to crack the dongle and get the software to function without it (some features of the software are linked to the dongle, hence the instability of the cracked SX3) it will be outdated by whatever version of Cubase then exists. Its just got to a point where its starting not to be worth it. People are just going to have to pay to take advantage of the latest features like VST3 effects etc.

It doesn't have to be pricey though, Cubase SX 2 can be picked up second hand for €100 these days if you look hard enough, and you can then upgrade to to Cubase 4 for €150. Thats not bad at all. Even the SE series these days are fantastic pieces of software. Cubase SE 3 can support 48 simultaneous audio tracks which I think is incredible for something you can buy for less than €100. It also uses the same audio engine as SX3.

• Advertisement

Beecher wrote:

It doesn't have to be pricey though, Cubase SX 2 can be picked up second hand for €100 these days if you look hard enough, and you can then upgrade to to Cubase 4 for €150. Thats not bad at all. Even the SE series these days are fantastic pieces of software. Cubase SE 3 can support 48 simultaneous audio tracks which I think is incredible for something you can buy for less than €100. It also uses the same audio engine as SX3.

I agree entirely, especially when most soundcards come with their own sequencing software bundled.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

TelePaul wrote:
    Speak for yourself, I pay for my stuff.

As do I. But I also don't see the problem with trying the full version of a piece of software before buying it, particularly when the price of audio software is so high. No doubt you've also never downloaded an MP3 you don't own, transfered music from a friends HD, made illegal copies of CDs, copied movies etc.
    TelePaul wrote:
    I can drive, so am I entitled to steal a BMW?

Nope, but I wouldn't expect you to buy a BMW without first giving it a thorough test-drive. Actually you'd be a fool not to. But then it's a stupid analogy.

But anyway no point getting personal on an internet forum, I'll leave it at that, it's a subject that everybody has an opinion on and isn't gonna end any time soon. To the OP, if you liked the software and plan on using it more, buy the full version, or at least a lite version of it! :)

As do I. But I also don't see the problem with trying the full version of a piece of software before buying it, particularly when the price of audio software is so high. No doubt you've also never downloaded an MP3 you don't own, transfered music from a friends HD, made illegal copies of CDs, copied movies etc.

If he has the full version, albeit cracked, he's not going to buy the legitimate full version, is he? Steinberg happen to be very reasonable as a manufacturer and offer great discounts when you upgrade from one sequencer to another. The price of software isn't high at all, as myself and Squib have demonstrated. If you're too lazy to search for the free alternatives, thats another issue entirely.

Nope, but I wouldn't expect you to buy a BMW without first giving it a thorough test-drive. Actually you'd be a fool not to. But then it's a stupid analogy.

Stupid analogy? See above. Just because you have an interest in home recording does not give you the right to break the law. The 'Try Before You Buy' philosophy is bull****. If you want to do this, get some of the excellent demos available with monthly magazines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

For anyone using a cracked sequencer who wishes to switch to a good affordable alternative may I recommend energyXT: http://www.energy-xt.com/ - its only €39 and has pretty much all the features of Cubase, Logic etc, although the initial learning curve is tricky. And affording the sequencer is the trickiest part - there are tons of excellent free alternatives available when it comes to VSTs, audio editors etc.

@TelePaul, it takes years for anyone to master the ins and outs of software like Cubase, I don't think comments like "he's in over his head" are very helpful. Its easy to condemn the use of pirated software but its so damned easy to pick the stuff up I think people can be forgiven for succumbing to temptation. And I think the try before buy idea is entirely legitimate, most people I know who are serious about music technology, including myself, pay for their favorite software and stick with it after a couple of years of messing around trying out different cracks.

cornbb wrote:

@TelePaul, it takes years for anyone to master the ins and outs of software like Cubase, I don't think comments like "he's in over his head" are very helpful. Its easy to condemn the use of pirated software but its so damned easy to pick the stuff up I think people can be forgiven for succumbing to temptation.

You know it's even eaiser to pick up amazing freeware with full support right? You just demonstrated how easy it is. And you're right, mastering the ins-and-outs would take a long time, given that SX3 has so many features. Mastering LE takes a considerably less amount of time, and Cubasis VST took me even less.
    cornbb wrote:
    And I think the try before buy idea is entirely legitimate, most people I know who are serious about music technology, including myself, pay for their favorite software and stick with it after a couple of years of messing around trying out different cracks.

The problem is the cracks are so good. They make the program so functional. Are you really inclined to spend €1000 to improve your programs stability when you couldn't afford it in the first place? Gimme a break. If you're serious about music technology, utilise one of the many 10 weeks courses available. You'll get alot more from that than you will a cracked version of a sequencer that is beyond your realm of understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Are you really inclined to spend €1000 to improve your programs stability when you couldn't afford it in the first place?
    Like I just said, for lots of people who are serious about it, yes.

I took a year long full time course in music technology but I still come on this forum asking questions, I didn't realise their answers are "beyond the realm of my understanding" :rolleyes:

€1000 buys you a top of the range legit piece of kit and a clean conscience but it shouldn't afford you a place on a high horse. Give us a break.

cornbb wrote:
    Like I just said, for lots of people who are serious about it, yes.

I took a year long full time course in music technology but I still come on this forum asking questions, I didn't realise their answers are "beyond the realm of my understanding" :rolleyes:

Were ya sure to ask the tricky questions like 'how do I connect my interface to my sequencer''? I don't imagine so. This discussion is going on because I was able to easily recognise that the OP had cracked his software. Had he actually taken the time to learn how to use a DAW, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Period.
    cornbb wrote:

€1000 buys you a top of the range legit piece of kit and a clean conscience but it shouldn't afford you a place on a high horse. Give us a break.

What, you think I'm on a 'high horse' because i frown upon hurting the recording industry by supporting and advocating piracy? Because I don't break the law? You're right, how dare I :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Dude just stumbled upon this thread now, and i must say yea your right but theres no need to be so obnoxious about it. I mean anyone who is serious about music will eventually buy a proper copy, if hes not then its a phase and he wouldnt have payed for the full software anyway.

As for him asking basic questions, Everyones gonna have to start somewhere, even if he payed for the software legitimatly(SP?) he still might ask that question.

Patricide wrote:
    Dude just stumbled upon this thread now, and i must say yea your right but theres no need to be so obnoxious about it. I mean anyone who is serious about music will eventually buy a proper copy, if hes not then its a phase and he wouldnt have payed for the full software anyway.

Anyone who is serious about music will eventually buy a proper copy? I don't know how you can say that empirically. Who's being obnoxious? I don't like people who advocate piracy, whatever form it takes.
    Patricide wrote:

As for him asking basic questions, Everyones gonna have to start somewhere, even if he payed for the software legitimatly(SP?) he still might ask that question.

Yeah everyone has to start somewhere. I'd recommend Cubase LE :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

The issue of cracks brings out alot of varying opinions from people at all levels of the recording industry. There are bedroom warriors refusing to use them and there are major studios laden with them (I know this from personal experience).

Whether you beleive using cracks is an acceptable path for those entering the industry or the spawn of satan pushing up the prices for everyone else, the only thing that really matters in the context of this forum is that they are illegal. Please don't discuss their direct use. There are 1000's of other forums where you can do so if you really wish. This has been added to the charter.

Also, please don't try to decide whether or not someone's thread is based on them using a crack. No matter how prescient your powers of software piracy detection may be, this is a forum for the discussion of recording, mixing and collaboration, let's keep it that way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement