Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike security

Options
  • 30-12-2006 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Last night someone tried to steal my bike outside the house again. Had locked it to a wheelie bin, only large object around. He was trying to make off with both the bin and bike! Luckily heard him and gave chase. But anyway, looking for someway to secure the bike, either through planting a stand in the driveway or getting a bicycle locker. Like the ones on this website...

http://www.sekura-byk.co.uk/

Only problem is they are based in the UK and not sure if they will sell just one.

Anyone know where I can get something along this line in Ireland?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

hummmmm...i bet the lock was round the brake cable too......or a easily removed object.
    just bring it inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

Anyone know where I can get something along this line in Ireland?

www.rss.ie is the Irish contact for BikeAway.

Also you could always try and make a secure point to lock your bike too. For example:

* Go to your local good hardware store or builder suppliers and buy a couple of good strong expanison bolts with eyelets like these.
    * Carefully drill suitable holes in a line into a concrete path or wall. Screw the bolts in tightly, but line up the eyelets.
    * Place a good U-Lock through the eyelets so the bolts can't be undone.
    * You should now have a secure point to lock a bicycle too.

Note any lock or secure point can be broken and it's even easier if the thief can see the lock or secure point before hand to prepare, so store the bike in doors or in the back garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Thanks Rob, I'll give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

My uncle has an excellent method of keeping bikes - he has these height adjustable bars, you simply push your bike vertically against the wall and drop the front wheel into one of these bars. Lower down there's an eyelet, like roh mentioned that the frame locks to so it can't be stolen, and the adjustable bar keeps it in place! I'll ask where he got it, because it's a really simple, good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Titiritero

As it's been said, the best is to keep it inside, for safety and weather protection, but I assume this is not an option for you if you haven't done it yet.

Apart from all recommendations given, try to use 2 different types of locks, and also remove something important from the bike (one of the wheels, or both, or the saddle, etc) when you leave it at night. This won't take much space inside the house, and an "incomplete" bike is much less attractive to thieves as it's not as easy to sale...

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Titiritero wrote:
    and an "incomplete" bike is much less attractive to thieves as it's not as easy to sale...
    And not as easy to cycle off on. my brother got a lock thing meant for the ground in argos. think it was €8-15, you drill into concrete and bolt it down.
    this is the one
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8495

Wheelie bin is useless! a stanley blade or a lighter will go through plastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Oh cool Ruprect, that sounds exactly like what I need. Thanks for posting everyone.

Advertisement