Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LB in transfer window

Options
  • 30-12-2006 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

A tough game but some pretty bad performances there today.

While others here have been moaning about BAE, I think that Lee is particularly poor in LB. The January sales would be a good time to fill that position properly.

On the plus side, Berb is working well, as is Huddlestone. Davenport filled in nicely today and made some good tackles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I would love Heinze to fill our left back slot. He could also cover at CB. Pity he is so injury prone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Id love to see us get young Bale from Southampton but I think there will be a long q for him. I have been impressed by Baines from Wigan too. Either way we need a good left full and also a natural left-sided player. As good as the likes of malbranque/tainio/murphy etc do on the left, we need a natural winger who can go by a player and whip a ball in with his left peg. ie what lennon does on the right when he's fit !!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

Neither BAE or Lee are good enough. Been surprised at Davenport i would definitely hold on to him , still very young.
    Murphy did well against Portsmouth - great cross for goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I despair sometimes reading comments from fellow Yids about some of our players...why is it we target the failings of one player while ignoring those of others? Look at our recent goals conceeded:

Newcastle - Robbo at fault for at least two of them.
    Villa - Dawson muscled off the ball by Barry.
    Liverpool - Zokora lost possession letting them in.
    Pompey - Possession lost in midfield again (was it Tainio) followed by a deflection.

Robinson has been at fault for a number of goals this season, his positioning is poor and he doesn't command his box for crosses/corners. Where's the call for a new keeper?

Dawson has shown he's still raw at times this season, his reliance on hoofing the ball clear rather than taking a moment on the ball to compose himself costs us possession, where's the call for a new CB?

The Defoe/Keane debate is similar, Defoe gets roasted for shooting not passing, and his poor workrate, yet Keane is as likely to shoot first, and his workrate is often made up of waving his arms in the air and feigning jumps for headers (which he never wins). The same happens when Danny Murphy is mentioned, he's been criminally overlooked this season when we've cried out for a passing midfielder to provide service to the front two, then gets grief for his lack of pace.

Lets be real folks, our LB is not problematic as long as we get someone who will stay wide left in midfield, and who is prepared and capable of providing defensive cover to one of BAE/Lee. Yes, we could do better at LB (Bridge or Bale I'd hope) but our priorities should lie elsewhere, LW and decent CB cover.

p.s. please give BAE time to get used to our game, Evra was poor last season for ManYoo yet he's an integral part of their squad now. We bring in 4/5 new players every window and expect a kid from a different footballing culture to slot right in. Its madness, the kid has shown enough to suggest that with proper defensive coaching he could be a great LB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Some very good points but some i would certainly have to question !!

I personally think it is plain and simple to see that we need a left full and a left winger. Most of us would have thought the same this time last year. I for one have never been convinced by Lee. A right footed left full doesnt do it for me, he is too shaky, not one to rely on and he makes too many errors for me. As for BAE, I hope he proves me wrong and adapts to the English game and becomes a regular, etc, but again, in my opinion, he wont. I feel he is too light for the English game and simply not good enough. He has shown very little in his time in the team this season to convince me, maybe he will prove me wrong, but for me, he's not the answer. Why we didnt pay 5or6 million and sign Bridge I will never know.

Agree about Robbo, has been shaky at times and could have done better for a couple of goals this season. But Robbo is a top keeper in my opinion, he has proved this throughout his time with us...for people to call for a new keeper would be ludicrous.

Dawson - top quality for me. Our best player last season IMO.

I love the Defoe/Keane debate. I personaly prefer Defoe, even though I know Robbies brother well-dont tell em I said that ;) .

As for Spud, he has had great days in red, but for me, his better days are well behind him, a good squad player but not one for 1st eleven.

I agree about the centre back cover, although should we pay 8or9 million for Davies, if he is just gonna be a squad player...another debate !!

COYS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Robinson has been below par this season. But I wouldn't be calling for a new keeper yet, not by a long way. He's young enough to rediscover his form and go on to be better then he was a year ago.

Also, lets show a little faith/commitment in him, after all he signed a 7 year deal at the start of last season when he could have gone to Man Utd (before they signed Van Der Sar). He showed commitment to Spurs when we were a mid-table team, we should show him the same respect now when he's struggling.

As for Dawson hoofing it up the park ? Yes there's no doubt he like the Hoddle-esq champagne cross frild pass, which rarely come off. What I'm not too sure about though is how many of these high risk passes are his only option ?? If the midfeild don't show for a pass or do but give him a bad option then it's back to robbo or Hoof it. Dawson is a quality player and we're very lucky to have him. Him and Ledders are up there with the best partnerships in the league.

As for Defoe, I would like Jol to stick with JD & Berby. They seem to have a decent understanding. Both have proven that they can score goals at this level. Keane should wait for injury, suspension or a big drop in form before starting. Striker rotation pisses me off no end. As for Mido ?? Fcuk off you slow lazy cnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

I despair sometimes reading comments from fellow Yids about some of our players...why is it we target the failings of one player while ignoring those of others? Look at our recent goals conceeded:

Newcastle - Robbo at fault for at least two of them.
    Villa - Dawson muscled off the ball by Barry.
    Liverpool - Zokora lost possession letting them in.
    Pompey - Possession lost in midfield again (was it Tainio) followed by a deflection.

Robinson has been at fault for a number of goals this season, his positioning is poor and he doesn't command his box for crosses/corners. Where's the call for a new keeper?

Dawson has shown he's still raw at times this season, his reliance on hoofing the ball clear rather than taking a moment on the ball to compose himself costs us possession, where's the call for a new CB?

The Defoe/Keane debate is similar, Defoe gets roasted for shooting not passing, and his poor workrate, yet Keane is as likely to shoot first, and his workrate is often made up of waving his arms in the air and feigning jumps for headers (which he never wins). The same happens when Danny Murphy is mentioned, he's been criminally overlooked this season when we've cried out for a passing midfielder to provide service to the front two, then gets grief for his lack of pace.

Lets be real folks, our LB is not problematic as long as we get someone who will stay wide left in midfield, and who is prepared and capable of providing defensive cover to one of BAE/Lee. Yes, we could do better at LB (Bridge or Bale I'd hope) but our priorities should lie elsewhere, LW and decent CB cover.

p.s. please give BAE time to get used to our game, Evra was poor last season for ManYoo yet he's an integral part of their squad now. We bring in 4/5 new players every window and expect a kid from a different footballing culture to slot right in. Its madness, the kid has shown enough to suggest that with proper defensive coaching he could be a great LB.

Is Robbo glued to the line? Why doesn't he come off his line and challenge for the ball? Why don't our goalkeeping coaches coach him in doing this?

Dawson is an old fashioned full back and the perfect foil for Ledley. Would prefer him to hoof it upfield that be fannying around at the back with it.

Defoe/Keane : Would continue with Defoe/Berbs not because Defoe is that much better than Keane but because when Defoe comes on as a sub he looks very subdued wheras Keane has a "I'll show these cnuts" attitude when he comes off the bench. The thing about both of them is that they only score great goals. They get very few tap ins (btw I know Robbie managed a few las season) and because of this they'll never be 20+ goals a season men.

Murphy Think he's a good man to come and can pass a ball but not a starter for me.

Ghaly Can someone tell me he does? I know he's enthusiastic and I suppose when you compare him to some of the nomads we've had before thats something but I can't see him as anything more than a squad player.

Mido If I could ask Jol one question it would have to be jusy why did we sign him. He was acting the maggot at the end of last season when he should have been bursting a gut to get a contact and yet we go off and pay 4m? for him. Terrible attitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Forgot to mention BAE and YPL. Little or no difference between them though if I had to pick one of them Lee is a little bit better in defence. BAE might improve but I have me doubts.
    Now if we could get another Chimbonda for the left hand side.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 moorsie50

watched spurs and liverpool last week and was really p**d off with the attitude of both Mido and Ghaly. Cannot see why Ghaly stayed on as long as he did. Mido had no interest, and ghaly was simply not good enough.

midfield was weak and just showed me how good steven Gerrard can be.
    Zokora was like a little boy against him. Huddlestone's a big guy , but doesn't use his braun as he should.
    Calum davenport was confident and played well, so maybe when king comes back we could use him in midfield for tough opposition and leave davenport at CB with dawson.
    Think BAE should be given time, I know he's had a few bad games but he's young and has a good reputation.
    I also think robinson has been weak of late and the defence are lacking confidence in him.
    moorsie50

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

Ronan, some good points on this thread.

Robinson has been below form - i would have no problem with giving Cerny a few games, thought he was quite good last year when he played.

Dont see BAE working out - similar view on Staltieri, Gardiner.

Midfield needs some muscle against the physical sides - Hudd is exc and i would try Malbranque on other side as in second half of Pompey game.
    Zakora started well but is not progressing - Ghaly is very hit and miss.
    Suggestion of King in midfield in front of back 4 i would love to see.

Berbatov is class and either Defoe/Keane to match. Mido no thanks.

Still well placed despite away form - sticky cup game this week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement