Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are immigration threads allowed?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dark Hair

clown bag wrote:
    film-2.gif

thats not Waldo.

And here....get this.. because it is fact. it is not Gandalf either. Because he is at least .01 stone heavier and all Jowell'y. ( note "at least is not saying is..law...blah..balh..)

I can't be banned for that because it is the truth. :)

Or can I... duh ...duh...duh!!!

then again the OP is a racist.

Back to the facts folks....... as presented by Waldo.....

OMG what is the truth!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Look look, there's waldo:

waldo.gif

Happy now? Can your little brain spasm end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I admit I prolly did have one or two too many this afternoon watching the afternoons premiership activities but I'm sure even if I was completely sober I still wouldn't be able to make head nor tail as to what the hell you're on about.

So far you've threatened to punch yourself in the head, called yourself a mother****er and are on a quest to find the ever elusive Wally. I must admit though, I find it all very fascinating, mainly because I'm unsure as to whether I'm just too drunk to understand or if you are just plain nuts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

amp wrote:
    dUR TEKKIN RRRRR JORBBbbes!!!!

ROTFL :D:D:D:D

personally think the thread had only begun and seemed perfectly civil and rational (unless theres deleted posts were not seeing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wow! I'm not used to my name being taken in vain. Not sure if I should be happy or sad. Have I arrived? Help me decide.

Answers on the back of a sealed parchment thankyou.

Mike.

• Advertisement

I'm reopening the thread for a number of reasons-two actually,now what were they again... lets see...
    Personally I disagree with the locking of that thread but largely because it has denied people an opportunity to debunk and, frankly, make fun of your arguments.
    Yeah I thought Mac was getting slapped around enough,Damn I was saving the guy,now he wants more,so if thats what he wants :(
    Sangre wrote:
    Pretty ridiculous locking from what I saw.
    Damn that hurt,I like you Sangre :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

mike65 wrote:
    Was'nt aware we had to be multi-faceted to be worthy contributors.

Mike.

Generally yea. If someone keeps spamming the same kind of topic, after a while your just looking at a shill.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Dark Hair wrote:
    I am sure Gordo will be clever though. :D
    Ah, it's Merc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hobbes wrote:
    Generally yea. If someone keeps spamming the same kind of topic, after a while your just looking at a shill.

Someone better tell Baggio!

I just checked the re-opened thread, I got to say the mods appear to be on a mission to loose all credibility on this one.

FFS Gandalfs closed it again. Truly, ah I'll keep that thought to myself.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Macmorris

mike65 wrote:
    Someone better tell Baggio!

I just checked the re-opened thread, I got to say the mods appear to be on a mission to loose all credibility on this one.

FFS Gandalfs closed it again. Truly, ah I'll keep that thought to myself.

Mike.

The reason for the thread closure this time is even more pathetic. They asked that I withdraw some comments I made when I thanked Tristrame for opening the thread but they didn't say which ones. I made at an attempt at humour and they took it the wrong way. These people take themselves so seriously it's unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Tristrame closes because he thinks it's the right thing to do takes on board some points and reopens it.

Then Gandalf recloses because he thinks he's being disrespected. What a sap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Lmao

Macmorris wrote:
    The reason for the thread closure this time is even more pathetic. They asked that I withdraw some comments I made when I thanked Tristrame for opening the thread but they didn't say which ones. I made at an attempt at humour and they took it the wrong way. These people take themselves so seriously it's unbelievable.

TBH I'd be happy with the thread reopened and just you banned.

You got the thread opened and then proceeded to be sarcastic to one of the moderators and name call one of the people posting in the forum, then when a moderator tells you to cut it out you respond sarcastically again.

Not a good start if your trying to get a point across.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hobbes wrote:

Thats an odd statment coming from someone who's renowned for their penchant for a certain topic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Hobbes wrote:
    TBH I'd be happy with the thread reopened and just you banned.

You got the thread opened and then proceeded to be sarcastic to one of the moderators and name call one of the people posting in the forum, then when a moderator tells you to cut it out you respond sarcastically again.

Not a good start if your trying to get a point across.
    Being sarcastic is not allowed now? How about calling someone an asshole on the politics forum?

Its like the mods have deliberately set out to make themselves a laughing stock.

You got the thread opened and then proceeded to be sarcastic

I probably was being a bit sarcastic but I didn't think it would be taken so seriously. When I said that Tristrame couldn't sleep thinking about what he did I honestly thought he would take it as a light-hearted joke. Maybe I should have put a smily face after the full stop.

As I said, why do you people take yourselves so seriously? Do you honestly think you're roles as moderators are so important that you think you can act as if you're the conscience of the nation.

then when a moderator tells you to cut it out you respond sarcastically again.

I wouldn't call it sarcasm, I would call it humour. I don't like being put on the spot like that and made to 'withdraw' something which I don't believe needed to be withdrawn. And explain what comments I needed to withdraw exactly.

http://blah.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52559722&postcount=28

Thats all I have to say on the matter for now other than Mac has confirmed for me that my first decision was the right one.
    Re opening the thread was the wrong one in hindsight but seemed right at the time.

Tristrame wrote:
    http://blah.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52559722&postcount=28

Thats all I have to say on the matter for now other than Mac has confirmed for me that my first decision was the right one.
    Re opening the thread was the wrong one in hindsight but seemed right at the time.

I'm really sorry about that and if I had known that at the time I wouldn't have said anything. It was just an off-the-cuff attempt at humour.

A member of my family died from cancer recently as well so I know what you're going through and I wish you all the best in the days to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Macmorris wrote:
    I probably was being a bit sarcastic but I didn't think it would be taken so seriously....I wouldn't call it sarcasm, I would call it humour. I don't like being put on the spot like that and made to 'withdraw' something which I don't believe needed to be withdrawn. .

I have a great sense of humour and nothing you said made me smile.

Make up your mind, you were being sarcastic or you weren't. It certainly wasn't humourous.

The mods re-opened the thread to allow the debate to continue not to give you a platform to belittle them. You need to learn some graciousness. At the moment you are acting like a tit.

"Stupid is as stupid does" - Forrest Gump

/edit just saw your last post - page was cached.

CiaranC wrote:
    Being sarcastic is not allowed now? How about calling someone an asshole on the politics forum?

I believe acting like an asshole. Being sarcastic and rubbing a mods face in an action would acting as such.
    Bambi wrote:
    Thats an odd statment coming from someone who's renowned for their penchant for a certain topic :)

Eve? Wii?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Is there the rule about derailing threads and posting of topic with in the politics forum ? and if there is, is it a banible offense ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

What's the deal with this? Why close the thread instead of just banning the guy?

I am sure there are more reasonable posters who may possibly not have wanted to have been associated with the OP's line of thinking, who would be in favour of tightening immigration law, and clamping down on the numbers of migrant workers coming into Ireland. Even if we disagree with them, this is quite a relevant and a valid topic for debate.

This is a thread that is going to reappear on politics/ humanities/ after hours (imagine...) loads more, I doubt the best policy is to lock them all. The OP was being an ass in his last two or three posts, but since when is that reason for locking a reasonable thread with reasoned arguments that isnt totally non-reflective of the general opinion on immigration? Why not just ban him?

Hobbes wrote:
    I believe acting like an asshole. Being sarcastic and rubbing a mods face in an action would acting as such.

I wasn't going to continue on with this discussion because I didn't want it to seem like I was attacking Tristrame for his decision to close the account, as he has other things on his mind as it is. I'm over that now and I've no desire to continue on posting in the politics forum so you can consider that a victory if you want.

I would still be interested to know on what grounds you consider that I acted like an asshole though. I thanked him for opening the thread and then made a light-hearted joke that I was expecting would be seen for what it was. If I had done what Bambi did above and put a smiley face after my comments, the moderators might have treated the joke differently. Or maybe it wouldn't have made any difference. Maybe you're just looking for any excuse you can find to shut me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I don't think anybody was looking for an excuse to shut you up.
    Contrary to what you think that is not how we do things around here.

Hagar wrote:
    Contrary to what you think that is not how we do things around here.

Alright then, as you're so knowledgeable about how things are done around here maybe you can explain on what grounds the thread was closed by Gandalf earlier today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

On the grounds that you where using it as a platform to attack a moderator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

This is ridiculous. After all his pointless contributions, that guy gets to post quite freely on the site and reasonable posters can't debate immigration.

Boston wrote:
    On the grounds that you where using it as a platform to attack a moderator.

I wasn't attacking a moderator! I thanked Tristrame for reopening the thread and then made a joke about it.

I got pissed off when Hobbes accused me of being an asshole but I don't think I attacked him for it. The only time I was sarcastic was when Gandalf asked that I withdraw some comments that I made and that I didn't think deserved to be withdrawn. I don't think that could be considered an attack on a moderator thought. I honestly thought they were grown up enough that they could handle it.

They don't seem to have any problem attaking ordinary posters and calling them things like 'assholes'. It seems a bit unfair that they can't deal with it themselves.

InFront wrote:
    This is ridiculous. After all his pointless contributions, that guy gets to post quite freely on the site and reasonable posters can't debate immigration.

That's a good point. If they have a problem with me why didn't they ban me. Why did they have to close the thread when there were more people involved in the discussion than me.

I'd love to banned as it would only gratify my delusions of grandeur to think that I was a martyr for the cause of Free Speech (I'm not going to make the same mistake again so :) )

• Advertisement

InFront wrote:

*shrug* nothing to stop you discussing immigration on the site, if anything there is normally 1-2 running threads on the site somewhere at any given time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement