Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is a service charge not a service charge?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

In my experience:
    I've managed two restaurants in Dublin (Thai Orchid in Westmoreland St, and Luigi Malones in Temple Bar) and in both cases the 'service charge' went to the staff.
    In Thai Orchid, all the tips were put in a pot and shared equally between all staff (including kitchen staff)
    In Luigi's the service charge went to the waiting staff and then the waiting staff gave the kitchen and bar staff 10% of their overall tips.
    In both places the service charge was only levied on tables over 10 or so people, and it was discretionary. If anyone asked i would point out that they didn't have to pay it, but if they did, it stayed with the wait staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I have a friend who is a waiter and explained the logic of the service charge. First of all it is not the same as a tip otherwise it would be called as such. Instead the principle is that if you run a restaurant and get a few bookings for large groups such as 6 people or more, then you are likely to require extra staff over and above normal levels.

He gave me an example of a small restaurant where he works that had a party of 30 one day over christmas and they had to get three extra staff for the evening to help out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I was in a restaurant only yesterday that had a service charge of 10% for parties of 4 or more! Is this normal? I've only ever seen a service charge for 6 or more. But 4?

ambrose :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I was in a restaurant only yesterday that had a service charge of 10% for parties of 4 or more! Is this normal? I've only ever seen a service charge for 6 or more. But 4?

You could have asked for two tables next to each other instead to make a point.

You could have asked for two tables next to each other instead to make a point.

Yeah I thought of that but only afterwards. :s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

Robbery....

Name and shame, that's what I'd do. Where was the restaurant?

It was Cape Greko in Malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

I have a friend who is a waiter and explained the logic of the service charge. First of all it is not the same as a tip otherwise it would be called as such. Instead the principle is that if you run a restaurant and get a few bookings for large groups such as 6 people or more, then you are likely to require extra staff over and above normal levels.

He gave me an example of a small restaurant where he works that had a party of 30 one day over christmas and they had to get three extra staff for the evening to help out.

I dont understand that logic at all. If there were no one in the restaurant then they wouldnt need any staff.

If a pub is busy on matchday they dont put up the price of a pint for the extra barmen, they pay them out of the money they make because they are more busy:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

skywalker wrote:
    If a pub is busy on matchday they dont put up the price of a pint for the extra barmen, they pay them out of the money they make because they are more busy:confused::confused:
    It's not unknown for Galway pubs to shove up the price of pints during race week (& not bother to change the legally-required-to-be-displayed price lists) even if there is no bar extension. :rolleyes:
    They know they'll most likely get away with it, unless they're really unlucky to serve one of those consumer affairs inspectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

pub != restaurant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

gerryo wrote:
    It's not unknown for Galway pubs to shove up the price of pints during race week (& not bother to change the legally-required-to-be-displayed price lists) even if there is no bar extension. :rolleyes:
    They know they'll most likely get away with it, unless they're really unlucky to serve one of those consumer affairs inspectors.
    They won't get away with it if individual consumers start keeping an eye on what happens and report them to the authorities if necessary. All it takes is a receipt plus a mobile phone snapshot of the price list, and the pub will be facing a fine and some bad publicity.

Advertisement