Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animals Need a Voice In Legislation petition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

Signed at the weekend this is great to see, we need lost more signatures to get the government to take notice. Please everyone on here sign it, we owe it to the animals for them to have a representative in the Government

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Irish-Lass wrote:
    , we need lost more signatures to get the government to take notice. Please everyone on here sign it, we owe it to the animals for them to have a representative
    I agree 100%. If everyone on this forum signed, it would be a great sign of solidarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I agree that it is a good idea but i fear that in the current climate ppl who are not animal lovers - particularly dog lovers are not going to care too much!
    This nasty business in the UK has thrust doggie legislation back into the limelight.
    But hopefully the petition will achieve it's goal!

Gillie wrote:
    I agree that it is a good idea but i fear that in the current climate ppl who are not animal lovers - particularly dog lovers are not going to care too much!
    This nasty business in the UK has thrust doggie legislation back into the limelight.
    But hopefully the petition will achieve it's goal!
    Everything you say is true, but we have to keep plugging away and try to convert as many people as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Signed and agreed totally we need to keep at them till they listen!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I never understood what was the problem of dogs in pounds being put to sleep, not all can be rehomed. Its dones painlessly and the animal (be it dog/cat etc) who lives in the here and now and does not look to the future suffers no pain.

I never understood what was the problem of dogs in pounds being put to sleep, not all can be rehomed. Its dones painlessly and the animal (be it dog/cat etc) who lives in the here and now and does not look to the future suffers no pain.
    I think the general goal is to have fewer dogs in pounds to begin with. We in Ireland put down more dogs per head of population than any country in western europe. The idea is to educate people to spay and neuter dogs so over time we'll have less strays and unwanted dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Signed and couldn't agree more - this outdated legislation is in dire need of urgent attention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Greyhound

It's true that not all animals, especially those in pounds can be saved, but if we don't want them, don't produce them. That is what ANVIL is about, that and responsible pet ownership.

The main animal welfare legislation in Ireland is almost 100 years old, we managed to kill 55,650 mainly healthy dogs in 3 years in our pounds and countless hundreds of thousands of cats will die, many of them in their first week of life.

You are right, there are far worse things that can happen an animal than to be killed humanely in a pound, you only have to look at some of the animal welfare sites to see this or indeed the anvil website. Ireland has it's own 'special' way with animals.

I think George Bernard Shaw summed it up quite well, "The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them, that is the essence of inhumanity"

Please sign the petition and pass it on if possible, it might just make a difference

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Signed it a while back. Puppy power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Here's a suggestion:

It would have more of an impact if people sent letters to Bertie demanding animal legislation rather than just signing a petition. Someone once said that a single letter is worth 100 signatures on an online petition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Demonique wrote:
    Here's a suggestion:

It would have more of an impact if people sent letters to Bertie demanding animal legislation rather than just signing a petition. Someone once said that a single letter is worth 100 signatures on an online petition

Already being done, no harm in covering all angles though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Everytime a link to this petition is put up, on this board and others.... you write a response indicating that you think it is unnecessary, and that there isnt a problem with animal welfare in Ireland...

Do you really think there is no need for the legislation to be modernised? Do you really think there is no problem with 'companion animal' welfare in Ireland?... By that I mean cats, dogs and horses (who cant be termed as pets).
    I know the hunting debate is a topic close to your heart... but this really is a completely different issue.

I would like to debate this with you... I want to know your reasons for questioning the motive of this petition all the time.

(btw I'm not completely sure online petitions arent a waste of time... but I think anvil is a worthy organisation)
    I also agree that being pts is not the worst thing that can happen to an animal... but over breeding, backyard breeding, and substandard animal management need to be tackled.

Advertisement