Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Singing Lessons / voice training in Dublin

Options
  • 30-12-2006 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Anyone know a good directory of places to get Singing lessons in Doooblin??

I'm 18 and cant seem to find a whole lot

Ive decided to become famous, for a laugh like

J/k

I want to strengthen my voice and just improve my singing

Thanks in advance

[Moddage: Move to appropriate forum if needed. cheeyoz]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I imagine this will be moved to the music forum................

Check out the Golden Pages in the music schools/tuition section. There are plenty of places that offer singing lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

crosstownk wrote:
    I imagine this will be moved to the music forum................

Check out the Golden Pages in the music schools/tuition section. There are plenty of places that offer singing lessons.
    I did, theres actually funkall there

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Look here

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved from AH. ¬_¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 violatom

Check out this. Site is still under construction (ie. not working) but the teachers are brilliant. Especially the singing teacher if you're looking for rock/pop-ish lessons. If your looking for classical training then try the RIAM or DIT. Always student teachers around.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I had singing lessons from Walton's School of Music on George's Street. Reasonable enough prices and I had 2 very good teachers while I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

I had singing lessons from Walton's School of Music on George's Street. Reasonable enough prices and I had 2 very good teachers while I was there.

I second that. Walton's is very good. I did classical training there, I'd definitely recommend it.

I was on Waltons site. Seems good, and price is reasonable

They say you have to sing in front of other though

The thing is, I cant. I actually cant! My voice isnt strong enough to last a few sentences

Is it likely I'll be a good singer? I'm talkin a year or 2 down the line with lots of training

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I do it in DIT, they take it very seriously there and you have to do choir and musiciapship classes, but they don't tell you about the classes, you have to enquire(inquire?) yourself if you don't want to get kicked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

abetarrush wrote:

The thing is, I cant. I actually cant! My voice isnt strong enough to last a few sentences

You don't have to sing in front of other people unless you take a group class like the Introducing Singing for Adults one. Since you clearly wouldn't be happy with that, you could do one-on-one lessons with a teacher instead.

I used to work behind the desk in Waltons a few evenings a week when I was in 2nd/3rd year of college, and the singing courses were really popular - most of the teachers are v good and people seemed to get a lot out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Is there any point in taking lessons if you're God awful at singing? You can't really learn how to sing can you? Is it only for improving your voice? Cos I can't sing for my dinner but it's always been my dream (very cheesy I know) to sing and if I had a great voice I would be unstopable :p

Im not god-awful

My voice is just weak

I was good when I was younger, but then i became really shy, so always spoke little and low, and stopped singin, then my voice broke, so its not in great shape

Training can imrove your voice, make its stronger, and clearer, hence makin you sing better

I wont be the next Celine Dion but what the hell :p

Does anyone else think i'm in over my head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 RainPh

The most interesting singing lessons I found was in Bel Canto House.

It's located in the city centre on the North Great Georges Street, just off Parnell Street

and they have a web site as well
    http://www.thesingingschool.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 frankie13

abetarrush wrote: »

Is it likely I'll be a good singer? I'm talkin a year or 2 down the line with lots of training

Thanks!
    I,m exactly the same as u abetarrush. cant sing in front of people, loose my voice in front of a crowd of more than 3 or 4 people. it's a confidence thing. but i'm going to face it. not going to let it beat me. maybe we should go together.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭czrewor

I know this thread is dead but anyways....

@frankie13 I know it can be terrifying singing in front of other people. My advice would be to practice and download some of the free vocal training MP3's available on the web...

Also if you get brave enough, record some videos of you singing and post them on ''You Tube'' and then get peoples reaction from that, if you get alot of good responses it will give you the boost you need to try and sing publically.

Eventually you may get the courage to sing in karaoke,,, along with some Dutch courage to help you out :) You have nothing to lose, life is too short.

I was singing myself from young age, just to myself in my home or whatever, I was convinced I wanted to be professional singer but I recorded myself and even sent a Demo to EMI but nothing ever came of it.
    I'll never be a great singer, but as long as you enjoy it and have passion for it then keep it up. I am one of those people that believes music is the best gift that god can give someone.

To the OP, I wouldnt have the nerves to start singing lessons in front of a class full of people either, that would wreck my nerves. You need to get individual singing lessons to start with, and when you get to standard of confidence then join the group classes, because theres always the fear that theres gonna be really good singers in the class who are just there for improvement.

You need to boost the confidence, its the same in everyday lives, in my job if I have to get up in front of a room of people and do some small presentation of work, my throat closes up, my voice starts to tremble, its called stage fright but it can be worked on over time. However I'm at an old age of 28 so I'm a lost cause at this stage :-/

I wouldnt count on the OP going to singing lessons with you though, because looks like he has been banned and the origional post is going back to 2006, he/she could even be in famous band by now haha.

Anyways Goodluck.

czrewor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BrittHaugstrup

frankie13 wrote: »
    I,m exactly the same as u abetarrush. cant sing in front of people, loose my voice in front of a crowd of more than 3 or 4 people. it's a confidence thing. but i'm going to face it. not going to let it beat me. maybe we should go together.

Have you done it yet? Coming to Dublin soon and would like to hear where you have gone. A little bit in the same position, have not sung infront of people since I was 10 but would like to take it up again. If you have not gone or if you have, I would like to go with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭czrewor

You could always try karaoke first, alot of people doing that in pubs wouldnt be the best singers so its a good place to start for confidence boost

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 alanalien

I know this thread is old but I found it on Google searching for singing lessons. Are there any current recommendations for vocal coaches in Dublin. I am a semi professional singer and want to strengthen my technique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

alanalien wrote: »
    I know this thread is old but I found it on Google searching for singing lessons. Are there any current recommendations for vocal coaches in Dublin. I am a semi professional singer and want to strengthen my technique.
    http://www.newschool.ie/Introducing_Singing_for_Adults/Default.258.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭jay2k6ie

alanalien wrote: »

I recently attended vocal coaching with Cathy Vard. (singinglessonsdublin.ie) I must say that I had a terrific experience. Cathy is extremely kind and makes you feel completely at ease.

I had huge confidence problems and thought I would never get over them but Cathy was able to help me through them and teach me how to relax while performing.

I spent a term with Cathy and have never felt as confident with my voice. Highly recommend!

• Advertisement
Advertisement