Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a projector (Student budget!)

• 30-12-2006 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hey guys!

We're a group of student who've been playing with the idea of having a home cinema. We've the perfect room for it... entrance at back left.. position for sofa to face bare white wall. It's too good to ignore! We've been using the room as a micro-brewery for a few months but that can get demoted to the attic!

Any ideas where to get a project (2nd hand) for cheap?? We're over in Galway. It know it's pricey for students but we're going to split it four ways and go off the beer for a week or two to save! :D

Help us realise our dream! Any advice getting our hands on a projector welcome.

Joe and the lads.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Moved from DIY............:)

Give us an idea of the kind of total budget you have in mind........... business class projectors come up on Adverts from time to time, stuff on Buyandsell also, but tends to be overpriced imo...........

A widescreen projector is preferable but all depends on your budget. Do ye want this for movies, tv, gaming, what's the main likely use ?

Ritz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

beware second hand Projectors... you won't know how much use the bulb has gotten and they can be €500 - €1000 to replace.
    Sales are on right now, budget €1,000 and try to get "Infocus" if you can, cheap but good quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Calibos

Dunno where you've been getting your bulbs from Slaphead. I just got a new bulb for my 1yo Panasonic AE900 PJ for €215 from PriceJapan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,410 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I bought a refurbished infocus through ebay and everything worked out fine have had it for almost a year and really love it, if I hadn't bought on ebay, I would probably have bought from pixmania. Should check avsforum.com for lots of projector info, also projectorcentral and homecinemachoice.com
    Wasn't where I bought my projector but looks very interesting
    http://search.ebay.ie/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZinfocusinternational

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

Cheers guys.... that guy on eBay looks great! Might keep an eye on him. Looks like they're selling for just under €500 delivered.

Split 4 ways... €125 a week... stay in for two or three weeks.... yeap - should cover that!! Now to find someone with a credit card!!

We'd use it for DVDs, possible tv if possible..(matches etc), gaming. Awww would be soo nice. EDIT: WILL be so nice! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Calibos wrote:
    Dunno where you've been getting your bulbs from Slaphead. I just got a new bulb for my 1yo Panasonic AE900 PJ for €215 from PriceJapan
    The price may vary but my point is still valid.
    Price depends on the model and and the life expectancy. €215 is very very cheap but I can assure you €1000 is not uncommon for some long life bulbs. Most of the Projectors I've bought have been work related (data rather than cinema!) and I've always managed to get a spare bulb thrown in... they've been around the €800 mark for genuine Hitachi ones. I've been quoted €700 for an Infocus one (in Belfast) but, thankfully, I don't need a new one yet. I will keep an eye on Pricejapan though... thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Joe,

I have a Sony pj for sale at the mo. Very low hours use (280) and in mint condition. €800 PM for details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 FarSide

chat2joe wrote:

Help us realise our dream! Any advice getting our hands on a projector welcome.

The cheapest way of doing it is use an OHP with a LCD projection panel running from your PC/laptop. Total cost - 150quid or thereabouts. Both these items have been superceded now and are dirt cheap on ebay.

Advertisement