Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Approaches

Options
  • 30-12-2006 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

A deep Atlantic storm with a very tight gradient is forming west of Ireland and will track eastwards across the country tomorrow.

Wind gusts will pass 80mph in exposed locations as the gradient tightens as the system moves across ulster.

The sytstem will start affecting western areas from 9z tomorrow morning and reach its peak across eastern and northern ulster around 18z.

All areas will be affected by gale force winds with inland gusts frequently surpassing 60mph...

Take care.. and bear in mind when heading out to the ulster leinster game;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Not S winds, phew, no need to bloody realign my sat dish again so :) (sheltered here NIMBY)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Eeek....I just put a sat up on the chimney today.......hope it stays there :eek:

Eeek....I just put a sat up on the chimney today.......hope it stays there :eek:

already had to re align mine! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

From Met Eireann, 31 Dec
    Severe Weather Alert : Stormy today, with damaging winds gusting as high as 140 or 150 km/h. Heavy rain this morning, with some localised flooding. A clearance to brighter, showery conditions will follow, though some of the showers will also be heavy and possibly thundery. Highest temperatures of 9 C to 11 C.

And
    Weather Warning

Issued at 31 December 2006 - 05:35
    Severe Weather Warning
    Southerly winds, later veering westerly, will give damaging gusts of up to 140 or 150 km/hr today.

Gale Warning

Southerly winds, later veering westerly, will reach storm force 10 to violent storm force 11 today on all coasts of Ireland and on the Irish Sea.
    Issued at 05:00 on 31-Dec-2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mr. Pseudonym

Highest temperatures of 9 C to 11 C.

At least it should be mild enough in the terraces though;)

• Advertisement

Touching 40mph here regularally already and howling.

very very windy now
    up above 40mph at ground level in many gusts to 44mph max so far

its fairly hectic out there now - will it get much worse than this - supposed to be driving half the lenght of the country and back again today? How will driving conditions be?

its fairly hectic out there now - will it get much worse than this - supposed to be driving half the lenght of the country and back again today? How will driving conditions be?

Bad! quite likely very bad.

Belmullet reported 78mph gust earlier, 50+mph gusts across country now and its getting stronger.

Take care!

Mean of 35mph and gust to 51mph with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Rain has just started now and the wind is a pickin up.Low 30s wind gusts so far.

Edit:Gusting very mid 30s now.Rain is like hail hitting the window here.

• Advertisement

Full gale here now wind 33 to 39 most of the time and gusting to 47mph

Very noisy
    light rain

I'm about to drive to Dublin :eek: and I absolutely have to and I had intended to head back here at about 6pm or so...

Just gusted to 49mph

10 min average is now 39.3mph at ground level not on top of a 30ft pole or anything :eek:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1231/weather.html

hmmmn thinking about waiting this one out....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Big heavy shower just passed south Dublin heading NE. Now it's completely stopped raining with high stratus and blue sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just in from journey from north..

madnessss

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Rain coming down pretty heavy, looks almost like fog, pretty gusty too, glad I tightened up the sat dish bolts :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

It peaked @ 65Km/h here near Athlone an hour ago

broadcast.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just a bit blowy here, clear skies now.

Mike.

Gusty winds at 25mph.Died down a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Nasty winds alright... I was out earlier and had a big flying crappy-wet leaf hit me in the face.
    The highlight of my day.

• Advertisement

Mean is lower, but far more gusty now with max gust of 56mph.

Kilkenny recorded gale earlier which is unusual. These winds must have moved through Arklow as my max mean has been 35mph and that's at 10m height.

Clear sky and 13C

Longfield wrote:
    glad I tightened up the sat dish bolts :)

My sat is currently pointing down at the roof.........doubth I'll get many signals from there :rolleyes:.

No rain here in Carlow town as of yet, sunny with broken cloud, but seems to have gotten a little windier in the past 30mins or so. I hear on the radio news they said that Galway had 'violent' thunderstorms and heavy hail as well as the high winds.....scary!

14z
    Belmullet 79mph gust.

Gusting now ahead of a heavy shower to 42mph atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

:mad: damn damn damn.... my sat dish just completely got bent over and is now facing directly into our roof. and that stupid retard of an installer said that it would never be affected by wind. i bet it will take weeks for the repair people to come too.:mad: in the last 15 mins the wind suddenly became very violent (i think it was a squall). anyone elese in the dunshaughlin(meath) area experienced it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

im in kells at the moment and has been very windy all morning... power went twice already

70Km/h @14:30, lots of stuff flying around here:eek:
    Anemometer is only 3m above ground & partually sheltered, wonder what it would read in clear space...

You'd be better off climbing up and fixing that sat yourself rc28, no point giving them fella's money for nothing! ;)

What the forecast for the rest of the day? I was expecting severe weather, but for the most part it hasnt been 'that' windy in Carlow town, the odd strong gust now and then, but no damage being done, no power cuts or the likes. Is the worst of the wind gone now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

reports are coming in of a possible tornado near belfast, does anyone know anymore?
    http://theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/forums/6/147634/ShowThread.aspx
    just scroll down the page and it says that people are reporting it to that tornado website called torro

• Advertisement

Well has died down alot here,still gusting near 30mph but not as strong.the worse is over for sure.Better weather for the celebrations and the sat dishes.

Edit:Just received my highest gust of 46mph,eh maybe it will die down now a bit later.

Advertisement