Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could our neighbours be to blame??

Options
  • 31-12-2006 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Guys

About a week ago my wife told me she noticed that it was taking a long time for the water in the downstairs toilet to drain away once flushed. Now ,last night I used this loo (which we dont use very often at all) and saw that toilet was totally blocked....

Today I went to woodies and bought a flexible rod thing to push through the waste pipe and to clear the blockage.....but when I pushed it through to about 10 feet ,the blockage seemed to be solid!!:eek:

I went out the back and down the side passage and lifted the drain cover and to my complete and total shock the entire drain junction was stuffed full of gravel!!! Its totally blocking the entire drain.

Ive cleared about 15kg of this gravel out of the drain so far...but its still blocked.

We have had no building work of any kind done to our house,nor has any of our immediate neighbours....but there is one house about 4 houses away that has had a major extension put onto the side of thier house.Could it be possible that they connected onto the drain system and gravel from thier building has lodged at our house???

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Yes it's possible. We had gravel in our own drain after a tiler tiling our whole downstairs dropped spare grout down the toilet. We knew that was it cos it didn't all flush away. Nothing for it but to lift it out we found. Not the nicest of jobs!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

kaiser1 wrote:

We have had no building work of any kind done to our house,nor has any of our immediate neighbours....but there is one house about 4 houses away that has had a major extension put onto the side of thier house.Could it be possible that they connected onto the drain system and gravel from thier building has lodged at our house???

Thanks a mill

I think only your house and the house beside you would have access to the A.J.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Find out if your neighbours have had problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

We found out today what the problem is....RATS!!:eek:

A very nice guy from the council poped round to check the main drains and I showed him the problem. He knew straight away from looking at the problem that its due to Rats burrowing and piling up backfill in the A.J

Anyway...got a lend of some plumbers rods and cleared the entire blockage myself...no one of the most pleasent jobs Iv ever done :( ,but at least I have a working toilet again!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

kaiser1 wrote:
    We found out today what the problem is....RATS!!:eek:

A very nice guy from the council poped round to check the main drains and I showed him the problem. He knew straight away from looking at the problem that its due to Rats burrowing and piling up backfill in the A.J

Anyway...got a lend of some plumbers rods and cleared the entire blockage myself...no one of the most pleasent jobs Iv ever done :( ,but at least I have a working toilet again!

What was the rat burrowing into? Were they on the inside of the aj? I would have thought that would be some job for a rat to burrow through a pipe

• Advertisement
Advertisement