Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Ring & Reserve

Options
  • 31-12-2006 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Just a bit of a warning regarding the ring and reserve system favoured by Argos.

I received some money for Christmas for a new camera and picked out a model from Argos. I figured they'd be jammers straight after Christmas with returns and stuff so I decided to use their ring and reserve system. I normally do this from their website but they don't seem to have cameras on the site. Anyway, let's say the camera I picked out was €150. When I rang to reserve the automated system quoted me at something like €118. I figured the price difference was due to the Christmas sale and figured that I might be able to pick myself up a bargain and checked prices for loads more models. All the prices were different than the catalogue, some by €20, some by over €100.

On the 26th I walked down to my local Argos as I was a bit unsure if I was being quoted the right prices. It was closed but in the window a camera was advertised as being €120 off so I figured that their sale was just excellent. The next day I rang to reserve my camera. Picked an expensive one that had a lot off and reserved it. The automated service clearly stated that the price I was reserving was that day's price and that was what I would be paying. When I went to Argos the prices were all the same as in the catalogue. Not a single one was lower. Afterwards I realised that when I made a mistake using the service the automated teller referred me to argos.co.uk. My thinking is that the service is a bit messed up and I was being told the sterling prices even though the girl was clearly saying 'euro'.

Anyway, I basically just want to warn people in case the same thing happens. I was seriously disappointed when I got down there and typically all the cameras that were on sale were sold out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

ergonomics wrote:
    The automated service clearly stated that the price I was reserving was that day's price and that was what I would be paying.

NOT true. It clearly says whether you reserve by phone or by web that the price quoted is today's price, and that the price you actually pay may be different.

I've used the phone a few time but now have taken to reserving online. A quote from one of my confirmation emails:
    This reservation relates to the item(s) only, not the price. The item(s) have not been paid for and the price you pay is the price valid in store when the goods are collected. This may result in the price being different, for example after a promotion that was valid at the time the goods were reserved has ended. Please take your reservation number to the store as you will need it to collect your item(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

If its the Argos in KK you're talking about, I worked there for almost 7 years (finished there last week incidentally), I'll just re-affirm that the price you pay is the price on the day you pick it up. Also if the ring and reserve automated service has quoted you a sterling price, please inform the customer service staff who will ring the store IT dept who will rectify the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

i reserved a product on the ring & reserve on new years day, the product was half price according to the ring & reserve. I went to argos the next day to collect it and guess what.... it wasn't reduced!

i went back to my phone and called ring & reserve again to check had the price reverted to the original price. Ring & reserve was still quoting half price. I went to customer services with my new reservation, i was still asked for full price, I explained and requested they call ring & reserve to clarify. the manager called the ring & reserve line. He also heard the half price offer.

I got the product half price. argos.ie is not near as good as argos.co.uk, lots of products are not available for checking or reserving online. i saw the product was half price on the uk site and tried to reserve on argos.ie, the site didn't recognise the catalogue number even though it is in the irish catalogue, thats why i called ring & reserve.

Advertisement