Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Delayed in EU till September '07???

• 31-12-2006 4:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

I heard this horrible possibility off of a very experienced GAME employee this mornin.

He said nothin has been made official yet....cos of production levels or somethin....that they are just waitin till the right time to soften the blow!!! WTF?????

I just bought a Wii, but was really lookin forward to a PS3....if this is the case I would seriously contemplate not goin near PS3 for a long time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

A couple of places say September 1st and some say November 17th. Amazon.co.uk has it down as March 2007 as do Play.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

if this was the case then i would buy an xbox 360

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

If this is true I think it could really cripple the PS3's chances of success. Timing is so crucial. By delaying it till Sept. then presumably price reductions would be put back in relitive proportion to the difference between a March and Sept. release which in turn delays when the mass market are able to get there hands on the system and begin spending €60 after €60 on games.

I was/am(?) eagerly awaiting its release and intended purchasin one in the states next summer. I know it would have been out in Ireland by March but I assume the first lot will be like goldust wheeras the states would of had a good 9 months already. However, if true, this news may make me change my mind as developers could slowly but surely begin to put their eggs in Microsofts basket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Mossy Monk wrote:
    if this was the case then i would buy an xbox 360

You should.
    I did, best console, I've bought since the N64.
    I've been intending to get the PS3 but now am begining to wonder why?
    Sony have finally all but admitted that the PS3 is barely more powerful than the 360, and nearly all of the dual console games are being developed for the 360 and ported over to the PS3, meaning that there would be no real difference anyway!
    Sony have now not only shot themselves in both feet, but are moving up to try and kneecap themselves aswell!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Fizman wrote:
    I heard this horrible possibility off of a very experienced GAME employee this mornin.

He said nothin has been made official yet....cos of production levels or somethin....that they are just waitin till the right time to soften the blow!!! WTF?????

I just bought a Wii, but was really lookin forward to a PS3....if this is the case I would seriously contemplate not goin near PS3 for a long time

wait a second.. you're complaining that its going to be so long before you're able to get one, then when it comes out, you're going to wait even longer to go near it? kind of doesnt make sense...

hope thats only rumours though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Personally (and I mean personally!) I would love if this was true.

I'm probably going to be working in Hong Kong for the summer and was hoping to be able to buy cheap PS3s (no sales tax in Hong Kong) and sell them on ebay as a nice little side earner. If the situation arises where its still not available in Europe, all the better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Yeah personally I hope they do delay it till Sept because there's no decent games out yet. I hate buying consoles when there's nothing to make it worth while..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

#Elites wrote:
    Never trust a GAME Employee

while a delay wouldn't surprise me tbh, this is true. game employees will act as though they know everything, but they know as much as you and me. unless this guy was the sony rep within game (which he wasn't, since that rep will be in the UK) then he knows zilch.

what i've heard is that they're gunning for a release on 3rd of march (3rd of the 3rd), but it'll be as limited as the american launch because they're still having issues making the blu-ray diodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Ruu wrote:
    A couple of places say September 1st and some say November 17th. Amazon.co.uk has it down as March 2007 as do Play.com.
    they are all only guessing until sony says something offical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

SUMMER = JOBS = MONEY = NO PS3 = XBOX360 + change
    SUMMER = BORDEM = NO PS3 = XBOX360 + change

change = icecream

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Hope it is true, sony are a bunch of knobs anyway......hope it goes belly up for them :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

its true they are all guessin, that why i wouldnt even bother gettin it pre ordered.. when its available in a store for me to walk in and buy it i ll get it..
    otherwise there is the risk that i ll end up in the situation of some ppl here gettin the wii off komplett..
    and tbh life is too short to be worryin about a ps3

time is crucial indeed..

id say they would sell alot more durin the christmas period, so for them if it comes out in sept or nov would be nice.
    consider also that people overall will end up buyin a ps3 no matter all this scepticism that its around it so rumours about a price drop soon after the release are total nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

wait a second.. you're complaining that its going to be so long before you're able to get one, then when it comes out, you're going to wait even longer to go near it? kind of doesnt make sense...

hope thats only rumours though

Ok i see where your comin from.... what i meant tho was if Sony intend releasing it in Sept 07 for €600+..... that I wouldnt dream of purchasing it for a v long time.

By then the Wii will be close to €200 (maybe) and the Xbox360 bout €300. I'd rather splash out €2000 on a high end pc and have my Wii to keep me happy instead of giving Sony €1000 (inc peripherals and games) next Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Sony have responded to rumours like this multiple times, and their response was "Purely speculation, and categorically untrue"

So as was said above, Sony themselves have not said this.
    I'm not saying it won't happen.But the odds are un-likely.
    Even if it's the worlds crappest launch and there is only 20,000 units for all of the EU at launch, I would still make a calculated guess that they will launch anyway.

Just so they can have EU machines in the EU and can also say right that's it launched now.I think even Sony know if they don't launch it this time they would be making a big mistake.I still don't think they have much to worry about and they will yet again rule the roost where consoles are concerned.
    But they need to launch quickly.

I haven't yet seen anywhere saying anything other than March 07.
    And as far as shop employees telling you what's what....I had a security guard trying to make me not pre-book my PS3.He reckoned it will be a non seller and won't be released at all.And then tried to tell me a 360 was the way to go...

I simply told him I wouldn't get a 360 if Micro$oft paid me.
    The Playstation and Nintendo brands have the games I play...so I won't be straying to any other.So don't think you have to run off and buy a 360 now just because some gimp at GAME reckons he knows it all, or by no means get a 360 and rule out ever getting the PS3.The PS3 will blow us all away no matter when it gets here, and will have all our favourites that the PS2 had.

I reckon it will be out in March either way.
    And just on the note of someone saying Sony admitted it was only slightly more powerful than the 360....
    It's more than 2x more powerful a machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

That's crap tbh. Show me the facts, figures and actual evidence.

Here is mine. The truth is that neither console is drastically faster than the other (and nowhere NEAR 2x, how are you even measuring "power" on a console?)

There is also this stunning display of power (granted , it's also terrible production)
    IGN wrote:
    Motorstorm also shipped to Japan with some of the glaring problems from the demo still in place. Load times prior to the start of a race can take up to 45 seconds. Car selection requires that you wait for new car models to load up, and you can't even see your car's stats on the selection screen (the stats are available in the manual). It's exactly like the demo, and is unacceptable for a final product.
    That was from a game that was supposed to be a "must-have".

Perhaps it might have been if it looked and played like Sony suggested... (Click on the Motorstorm: Target render VS video).

Oh yes, where were we (I am just sick of PS3 power arguements by now)... nothing offical as of yet it was just rumoured a few weeks ago as a possibility.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Well, if a guy in game said it... Somebody call Bill Gates and let him know, quick! In fairness why would the launch in europe so late if they can launch (however small numbers) in usa and asia, makes zero sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭kensutz

I simply told him I wouldn't get a 360 if Micro$oft paid me.
    The Playstation and Nintendo brands have the games I play...so I won't be straying to any other.So don't think you have to run off and buy a 360 now just because some gimp at GAME reckons he knows it all, or by no means get a 360 and rule out ever getting the PS3.The PS3 will blow us all away no matter when it gets here, and will have all our favourites that the PS2 had.

I reckon it will be out in March either way.
    And just on the note of someone saying Sony admitted it was only slightly more powerful than the 360....

The ultimate Sony fanboy like he harped on about it in the Xbox forum and then disappeared once the Wii appeared. Wonder how he responds to the link Smellyirishman posted :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

There is also this stunning display of power (granted , it's also terrible production) That was from a game that was supposed to be a "must-have".

Originally Posted by IGN
    Motorstorm also shipped to Japan with some of the glaring problems from the demo still in place. Load times prior to the start of a race can take up to 45 seconds. Car selection requires that you wait for new car models to load up, and you can't even see your car's stats on the selection screen (the stats are available in the manual). It's exactly like the demo, and is unacceptable for a final product.

Perhaps it might have been if it looked and played like Sony suggested... (Click on the Motorstorm: Target render VS video).

I for one will tell you thats is crap that IGN wrote......load times are no worse or better than any console race game....less than half that figure, both for the demo and the retail version.
    If it's taking them that long to go from vehicle select to acceleration, I suggest they get a new PS3..

As for that target video, I'm not going to say its the exact same as that, nothing is capable of that yet.............but, it is honestly not far off, and there are times when playing it, looking around with the camera that it imbues the same feeling of mayhem that that video provides.
    Its the most impressive game on the PS3 at the moment, and it is far beyond any race game both graphically and fun-wise on the 360 a year after its launch for that matter..

Also from that IGN preview by the way

"this is the most technically impressive game I've ever played.

And it will likely be even more impressive once Evolution Studios finishes up development. Motorstorm was clearly not ready for its Japanese debut, and considering how poorly non-Japanese games tend to sell in the Japanese market, we're not sure why Sony wasted the team's precious time on rushing the Japanese release. We look forward to playing the real version of Motorstorm early next year, and, based on the preview provided by the Japanese version, fully expect it to be one of the finest racing experiences ever."

Looking at that video link, the footage is from the demo version.......probably the least impressive track in the retail, and the retail version is also a lot quicker..
    Best thing everybody could do is play the game for themselves before relying on a dodgy video like that, which also didn't have the good sense to compare similar scenes i.e. drivers eye view from the finished game - compared to target render one.........the only way to play the game I might add..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

That's crap tbh. Show me the facts, figures and actual evidence.

Here is mine. The truth is that neither console is drastically faster than the other (and nowhere NEAR 2x, how are you even measuring "power" on a console?)

There is also this stunning display of power (granted , it's also terrible production) That was from a game that was supposed to be a "must-have".

Oh yes, where were we (I am just sick of PS3 power arguements by now)... nothing offical as of yet it was just rumoured a few weeks ago as a possibility.

So your factual evidence is a report by a "hip hop-focused" company who tested one single game on the two consoles?

And the same game, according to Gamespot:

"On the Xbox 360, Round 3 looked amazingly lifelike, with some of the most realistic and detailed fighter models to appear in any game. The graphics hold up on the PlayStation 3, with equally lifelike and technically impressive models that are slightly more detailed than on the Xbox 360."

I know its cool to hate Sony but there's plenty of real comparisons out there from people who actually know their stuff and haven't just compared one single multiplatform EA game on one specific TV without mentioning which video cables they used or anything.

And as for motorstorm:

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/impressions/motorstorm-im-in-love-224844.php

The Japanese version was rushed and had some problems(lack of modes, menu system, no online mode - the actual gameplay was said to be silky smooth fantastic), but the build that will be coming out here is supposed to fix all that and I've pretty much read nothing but universal praise from reviewers.

Now I haven't played a PS3 but you seem to be very selective with your quotes. In terms of hardware, the processor of the PS3 can do more and the GFX card of the 360 can do more. Both will have great games, and indeed already do judging by reviews.

I find it funny the difference in reaction to the PS3 and the Wii, with people constantly saying its all about the games and thats why Wii is better, when Metacritic(as unbiased and 'objective' as game rating can be) shows the PS3 has more high scoring games and less low scoring games.

All the consoles have good points.

Competition is healthy.

Sony are no more/less 'evil' than Nintendo or Microsoft.

• Advertisement

McDermotX wrote:
    Its the most impressive game on the PS3 at the moment...
    That's not saying much.
    McDermotX wrote:
    it is far beyond any race game both graphically and fun-wise on the 360 a year after its launch for that matter..

That's your opinion and having not played MotorStorm I cannot truly retaliate, but frankly I would question both. It's backgrounds are fuller than PGR's, but the models, I don't think so (of course the damage model has to be taken into account). As for gameplay, well, like I said, I am not in the position to say but critiques seem to disagree.

That's not saying much.

That's your opinion and having not played MotorStorm I cannot truly retaliate, but frankly I would question both. It's backgrounds are fuller than PGR's, but the models, I don't think so (of course the damage model has to be taken into account). As for gameplay, well, like I said, I am not in the position to say but critiques seem to disagree.

Actually online reviews have been quite good, and anybody who's played it has come away with good impressions.
    Cant say I've seen any bad reviews ?????
    Cast an eye over some forums such as AV and AVS Forums to get an idea of what people who have bought the game think of it........overriding view, is that because the Jap game was relatively cheap (€35-40) and is so good, a lot of people will purchase the US/Euro versions as well for the multiplayer..
    Recently had a session with four other 360 owners on the PS3 over the Christmas......three of them have already ordered PS3s, major part of the reason was a launch window title of the quality of Motorstorm so read into that what you will..
    Just because its a PS3 title and Sony's name is attached to it is no reason to rubbish a title without even playing it...........if this game was on the 360, everybody would be on here singing its bloody praises, thats one thing I am certain of..

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/impressions/motorstorm-im-in-love-224844.php

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=152972

steviec wrote:
    So your factual evidence is a report by a "hip hop-focused" company who tested one single game on the two consoles?

My factual evidence is the same game, run on both consoles (one of which is 2x faster than the other) on the same screen, at the same resolution (the ZOMG astonishing 1080 true-HD) side by side and the "slower" console getting the majority of praise. It's may not be numbers, but it's not the numbers that count (for the most part). This difference has also been noted across a few of the ported games and I was merely trying to debunk the BS claim that a PS3 is 2x more powerful than a 360, which is nonsense.
    steviec wrote:
    And the same game, according to Gamespot:

"On the Xbox 360, Round 3 looked amazingly lifelike, with some of the most realistic and detailed fighter models to appear in any game. The graphics hold up on the PlayStation 3, with equally lifelike and technically impressive models that are slightly more detailed than on the Xbox 360."

Yep, sure sounds twice as good to me. I will not argue that there can be disparities between ports, to do so would be ridiculous, especially when they had an extra what, 8 months to work on the models. And talk about being selective with your quotes, here is another quote from Gamespot about FNR3:

"The PS3 still has great looking player models but the crowds are less detailed and the lighting effects are definitely inferior. If the graphical losses weren't enough, the PlayStation 3 version takes almost twice as long as its 360 counterpart to load into the menu screen, and a third longer to load a quickplay."

And another, again from Gamespot...

"Conclusion
    The Xbox 360 had better graphics in almost all the games we examined. The 360's biggest victories were in Madden 07 and **Fight Night Round 3**, where the differences in texture detail and lighting stood out in our comparison shots. We couldn't capture this in the screenshots, but the Xbox 360 games generally offered better framerates too."
    steviec wrote:
    I know its cool to hate Sony but there's plenty of real comparisons out there from people who actually know their stuff and haven't just compared one single multiplatform EA game on one specific TV without mentioning which video cables they used or anything.

And could you please point me to the one that showcases this astonishing 2x power differential. I would be ever so grateful.

PS. a bath tub of ducks just won't cut it.
    steviec wrote:
    Now I haven't played a PS3 but you seem to be very selective with your quotes.

I am selective with my quotes because I don't think I could find a quote from an unbiased party about the PS3's undeniable number crunching (and I mean overall, not with respect to the cell alone) advantage over the 360.
    steviec wrote:
    I find it funny the difference in reaction to the PS3 and the Wii, with people constantly saying its all about the games and thats why Wii is better, when Metacritic(as unbiased and 'objective' as game rating can be) shows the PS3 has more high scoring games and less low scoring games.

I agree with your general point, however, quality over quantity and atm the Wii has the best quality.
    steviec wrote:
    All the consoles have good points.

To be completly honest, the PS3's only good point is it's potential for some good titles. ATM it is showing nothing solid that would persuade me to buy it over any of the other consoles.
    steviec wrote:
    Competition is healthy.

Absolutely
    steviec wrote:
    Sony are no more/less 'evil' than Nintendo or Microsoft.

They are however, certainly not in possession of a console 2x more powerful than the 360, which is what my original argument was aimed at and which you seemed to miss, taking my post for a general "PS3 sucks lolz" instead of the "PS3 rules the gfx powah" rebuttal that is was.

McDermotX wrote:
    Just because its a PS3 title and Sony's name is attached to it is no reason to rubbish a title without even playing it...........

I never did, but you said it was better than any racing game on the 360 and I simply said that reviewers did not seem to think so (taking averages from gamerankings). I don't doubt that the game is a bit of a laugh, it reminds me of smuggler's run, which I loved and hopefully the game will be well polished for it's upcoming releases. I really doubt that it's phenomenal though, definitly not worth the price of a PS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

just when i thought we had moved on from the 'which is more powerful' argument...

I never did, but you said it was better than any racing game on the 360 and I simply said that reviewers did not seem to think so (taking averages from gamerankings). I don't doubt that the game is a bit of a laugh, it reminds me of smuggler's run, which I loved and hopefully the game will be well polished for it's upcoming releases. I really doubt that it's phenomenal though, definitly not worth the price of a PS3.

Best race game on the 360 is what? PGR3, yes ? (and even that picked up a few 7 out of 10s) Launch title, and no other race game has come close to it on the 360 in the past year.
    PGR3 is a fine game (I stated on other forums that I preferred it to GT and that includes the one-track Concept demo of GTHD), but it is old news and I haven't touched it in a long time.
    It was impressive back then, again was more impressed with it back then than when GTHD demo was released last week. But PGR3 and Motorstorm are not exactly what I would call similar games, and Motorstorm to play is certainly more impressive and fun in my opinion.
    As it stands I consider it better than PGR3, in all but online features.

Not much else out on the 360 in racing terms either apart from the multi-format (and barely improved over Xbox) Burnout.......which is OK at best..

Also, as seen on other threads, I never once stated the PS3 was worth the current price on its games alone (same as all machines at launch, but who buys systems for launch games alone), and I never once suggested it was worth it for Motorstorm either.
    I purchased it for various reasons not worth going into now, but Motorstorm is a very impressive title and bodes well for the future........it would be just as impressive as a new game for 360 if it was in the shops tomorrow and all the 360 lads would be on, saying how it demonstrates how much better the 360 is.

This isn't coming from a Sony fanboy or anything like that, it would take me a long time to count all the different consoles and computers dotted around the house right now, just from somebody who knows how to appreciate a game regardless of format.
    Everybody will make their choice around the PS3 when it is released, just keep in mind that there is quality and crap on both formats..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLW5_tDl4j8&mode=related&search=

One clip of what is a more sedate race.......later levels are very hard, especially when you're stuck on a bike with a truck in front of you and another one "nitroing" up behind you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAhti-6qnTQ

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    just when i thought we had moved on from the 'which is more powerful' argument...

You said it :)

Kensutz wrote:
    The ultimate Sony fanboy like he harped on about it in the Xbox forum and then disappeared once the Wii appeared. Wonder how he responds to the link Smellyirishman posted

I would have thought I'd be the last person in the world to be called a "fan boy"
    By rights if you think I have shown the traits of a Fanboy, I don't think you should be calling me a Sony one alone.I'm an equal fan of both the Nintendo consoles and the Sony consoles.The only thing I can gather from what you said that actually would make sense to me is that I'm not a Micro$oft fanboy....?
    Which is evidentially true I have a major dislike for them and the X-Box 360 has only pushed that opinion on them even further.

And what do I say to the links I was given?
    Well I think I speak the obvious truth, it really does depend on where you read,what you read doesn't it?I don't use those particular sources for my gaming news and information.I have read that the PS3 is much stronger a machine than the 360, and when you look at the specs you tend to get the same idea.

What's been forgotten here is that the 360 has had over a year for all it's games to be tweaked and to be as good as they can be.
    The PS3 hasn't even been launched worldwide yet.
    Developers have had little or no time with the PS3 yet so let's just give it time and indeed this whole debate more time so as the results can actually be accurate.

As with this generation, it will be the end of the next generation console era before we will be able to tell who is the winner.
    I have no doubts the 360 is a powerful console, I have played it enough times to know that.Aside from the fact that I don't trust nor like Micro$oft, and that there have been so many problems with the 360, the games I like are on the Playstation and Nintendo consoles, so that's why I will be getting them and never an X-Box console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Specs on paper mean SFA when you are trying to compare two consoles with completley different architecture.

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Specs on paper mean SFA when you are trying to compare two consoles with completley different architecture.

Very true, hence why I think we should just wait and see because this point can't be debated properly yet.

Advertisement