Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an LLU product

Options
  • 31-12-2006 5:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

There has been various talk about LLU and how someone can become an LLU customer with Magnet, Smart etc, and it is apparent that there quite a bit of confusion. Below is a summary of what people need to do to make the move from WLR, CPS etc products to LLU......

SB-WLR - Must return to eircom. For those of you who do not know what WLR is, it is where you pay your line rental and phone calls to an operator other than eircom.

CPS - CPS lines can be unbundled immediately, no need to return to eircom. However, if you wish to keep your number you must return your calls to eircom. CPS is where you pay line rental to eircom and phone calls to another operator.

ISDN - Downgrade to PSTN.

Carrier - you're at nothing, you are on a shared line, this cannot be unbundled. It may be worth asking the LLU supplier to try on a "spare path", but it is likely you are on a carried for a reason.

Note: for SB-WLR and CPS, if you have broadband it must be cancelled. Once the cease is in progress, the LLU order can be placed. The cease does not have to complete to allow the LLU order to flow as long as your operator has placed the cease.

Keeping your own number is possible, however, your line rental and phone calls must be with eircom and the broadband must be fully ceased.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'd say you probably need to cancel CPS also. If the new carrier supports it, then you can go back after.

Does ANY LLU product let you keep a basic analogue line or do all of them use VOIP?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Smart do an ATA at the exchange and VoiP from that, magnet do ATA in the modem with VoiP, however Magnet do provide the option of doing Shared LLU where the line is seperated and the voice portion given back over to eircom. Smart stated before that they do not use this process i believe.

It makes no difference to user if ATA is at home or exchange, still VOIP.

I wonder how many Magnet users have shared LLU? Most posting here seem to have VOIP.

So basically LLU is broken in many ways as you are unlikely to get a real phone line and it is slow and the provider can't really make money at it since the wholesale rental is as much as many EU retail rentals and 75% of retail price of some wireless services.

It's hard to see why any operator other than eircom bothers with DSL bitstream or LLU in Ireland. Most of the money for either goes to eircom and in many cases only eircom makes a profit. Basically no real copper pair competiton in Ireland yet.

which is why they like to hike the line rental, cause regardless of who operates the line, it results in a guranteed minimum income for eircom.

Also, Magnet utilise GLUMP as opposed to the normal LLU which is how they can setup the 'sharing' on their end, and thus allow you to use the eircom number on a standard phone line as opposed to VoIP, however even with this you still get the VoIP option with Magnet, effectively giving you 2 Phone Lines, one VoIP and on with Eircom.

Also, Magnets VoIP Call Rates are closer to standard PSTN rates like eircom as opposed to pure VoIP, which is why i refuse to use the Magnet VoIP service and instead have a seperate Blueface VoIP service utikising my Netgear WGR614V Wireless Router w/ integrated ATA connected to the Magnet Telsey Modem

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

watty wrote:
    It makes no difference to user if ATA is at home or exchange, still VOIP.
    ... except that if ATA is at the exchange, the customer can just plug their phones in their ordinary phone sockets around their home just like they always did.

• Advertisement

steve-o wrote:
    ... except that if ATA is at the exchange, the customer can just plug their phones in their ordinary phone sockets around their home just like they always did.
    This also is simply possible with ANY home based ATA, most even support up to 1km of phone wire on the analog phone port!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

steve-o wrote:

The main problem of an ATA, wherever it is located, is that it is near impossible to send dial-up data down it, whether it be a modem, fax or the trusty, well priced, much loved Sky box.

You really need a dedicated analog line to get these working 100% [or as much as Eircom analog will allow]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nicamuke

Clarification on GLUMP;
    GLUMP is not a shared product.

GNP + ULMP = GLUMP.

GLUMP was introduced 2006 to allow operators to offer customers the ability to keep their old number if they went to Magnet or Smart for an LLU product. These customer "do not" keep their existing pstn line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is GLUMP the reason that you pay full line rental costs with Magnet's offering but not with Smart? In any leaflet for Magnet they always quote the line rental separately at full price. Smart may be paying the cheaper (though not by much as I believe it's around €16) LLU line rental and hence their prices are better than Magnet, though you can't keep your old number with Smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Sorry guys, I'm still a bit confused with this whole GLUMP/LLU business. Are you saying that if I ask Magnet for the shared LLU option I will have to pay line rental to both Eircom and Magnet even though I have no intention of using the Magnet VOIP?
    Full LLU is not an option for me as I have Sky multiroom.

Thanks

• Advertisement

dont rule out full llu if you have sky, its not confirmed that it does not work, i was informed by a manager at magnet that it should work via their modem, but if not, then an external ata which they can send out should be used to connect the sky boxes to the modem seperately and not with your phones.

As for the Shared-LLU, it may appear to only be an option on Magnet Base, however GLUMP is applicable to all services. Not sure what the end result is for line rental amounts and who you pay it to

Thanks JNive, very helpful info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nicamuke

If you have sky I'd recommend you go with base. If you go with the LLU option there is some rewiring in your home involved to divert the dial tone to your sky box. With the line share product you continue to pay line rental to eircom but there is no line rental to magnet and there is no rewiring required, you just need the line filter, however from what I'm hearing you do get an additional number from magnet, apparently there is a number configured in the modem ata......

yes you get the standard phone line split with eircom,and another geographic number, for use with the Magnet VoIP service via the built-in ata ports, or with an ATA they provide

I was told twice by Magnet that they only offer the line share option on the 2Mb product (just broadband). IfI wanted any other package it would have to done with full LLU.
    Has anyone actually got Magnet Intro and kept their phone with eircom? If so, do you just pay the standard €28 for Intro and not pay the line rental to Magnet? Interested to know because this could mean another phone call to them.

Thanks

the magnet base product splits the line and you pay line rental to eircom i believe, or maybe magnet pay on your behalf, and you keep a PSTN service with calls billed via eircom.

Magnet Entertainment ( the 4mbps and 8mbps services ) will port the number over for use with the Magnet VoIP service, as far as im aware.

Advertisement